Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Newbie and map reading

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Newbie and map reading

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 05:03 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newbie and map reading

We have a trail system at Camp Robinson in NLR, Arkansas with 37 miles of intertwined trails that are a blast to ride but impossible for me to follow on the map. How do you ride without getting lost ? I don't mind just riding until I get to a place I can locate but it sometimes places me on trails that are above my riding skill level.
Old 10-30-14, 05:13 PM
jwarner
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Learn to terrain associate. One can roughly guess where one is based on the slope of the ground and location of different terrain features (these can be manmade or otherwise.. even things like the angle between two intersecting trails). With a little practice, one can usually tell where one is within a few hundred meters.

90% of the time this is enough to get me where I want to be when I am out playing in the mountains.
Old 10-30-14, 05:14 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdracr39
We have a trail system at Camp Robinson in NLR, Arkansas with 37 miles of intertwined trails that are a blast to ride but impossible for me to follow on the map. How do you ride without getting lost ? I don't mind just riding until I get to a place I can locate but it sometimes places me on trails that are above my riding skill level.
Mount a GPS on your handlebars, and let it figure out where you are?
Old 10-30-14, 07:06 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Garmin but the GPS is hard to use on that small screen. I looked at the sat image on Google on the phone and it shows a dot in the middle of the woods but that wasn't all that helpful. I guess it's just a matter of practice and remembering turns in the trail like the person before said.
Old 10-31-14, 09:12 AM
davoon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take 40 miles of string with ye
Old 11-03-14, 03:14 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdracr39
I have a Garmin but the GPS is hard to use on that small screen. I looked at the sat image on Google on the phone and it shows a dot in the middle of the woods but that wasn't all that helpful. I guess it's just a matter of practice and remembering turns in the trail like the person before said.
GPS with trail map?

Or plan the route ahead of time, turn it into a track log, and navigate to follow the track log. As long as you can see the track and your position you'll have an idea of whether you've gone hopelessly wrong and if you have you can figure whether to backtrack or reroute.
Old 11-03-14, 03:32 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read up on how to locate yourself with a map. A very good use for an hour or so of your time. Everyone should know how to read a map... Besides, maps are lighter than GPSs.
Old 11-09-14, 05:53 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by corrado33
Read up on how to locate yourself with a map. A very good use for an hour or so of your time. Everyone should know how to read a map... Besides, maps are lighter than GPSs.
Sure, except here in the UK I can carry one GPS instead of a dozen 1:25000 paper maps. For a long ride the GPS is lighter and smaller, and also pinpoints my precise location at any given time.
Old 11-10-14, 09:09 AM
spdracr39

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding more and an awesome app called mtbproject has taken care of this issue. I have been working on keeping up with turns and sun position too which is helping a lot.