Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Autonomous cars and cyclist salmon.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Autonomous cars and cyclist salmon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 06:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
Bottom line, if you don't care enough about your own safety to take basic precautions (riding the right way along the road, using lights at night etc) you really do lose any right to expect anyone else to care any more about your safety.
You can be sure that most cyclists couldn't give a poop about if anyone from A&S or other self appointed Dudley Do Rights stopped "caring" about their safety. In fact probably would welcome relief from any overt "concern" from such busybodies.
Old 11-10-14, 09:40 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You can be sure that most cyclists couldn't give a poop about if anyone from A&S or other self appointed Dudley Do Rights stopped "caring" about their safety. In fact probably would welcome relief from any overt "concern" from such busybodies.
So sayth the main Dudley Do Right. Keeping everyone on track eh...
Old 11-12-14, 07:31 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
True enough, I'm often puzzled by people who expect Everybody Else to worry about their safety even if they don't. Personally I figure I can control what I do whereas I can't do anything to control what other people do.

If a driver isn't paying attention I could be lit up like a Christmas tree and still get run over. But if a driver is paying attention I might as well do what I sensibly can to give them the best chance of seeing me.
Old 11-13-14, 11:07 AM
Todzilla

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Google creeps me out.

But I think autonomous vehicles can only help cycling safety. Plus, as I approach 60, I like the idea that I can still get around by car even if my reaction times increase beyond safe limits (which would preclude bicycling as well). I hope that won't happen for a looooong time, but when it does, it's nice to know there are alternatives.
Old 11-13-14, 08:26 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Todzilla
Google creeps me out.

But I think autonomous vehicles can only help cycling safety. Plus, as I approach 60, I like the idea that I can still get around by car even if my reaction times increase beyond safe limits (which would preclude bicycling as well). I hope that won't happen for a looooong time, but when it does, it's nice to know there are alternatives.
Does Apple, and Microsoft creep out out too?

I tend to agree on your comments regarding getting older and having the car do the work. As I close on 60 (59 this year), I know for certain that I just ain't as spry as I once was...
Old 11-14-14, 11:38 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
So sayth the main Dudley Do Right. Keeping everyone on track eh...
Dudley never saves anyone, it's Nell and Horse.
Old 11-15-14, 03:15 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Todzilla
Google creeps me out.

Autonomous vehicles should help cycling safety as long as cyclists behave in a predictable manner.

I don't honestly know what any given algorithm would do if presented with a large number of objects that are small enough to be easily missed, rapid enough to be tricker to track, and erratic enough that there's no realistic way to determine what they will do next. The same would apply to a group of drunken pedestrians if they were to stagger randomly into the road, although from my own experience I see more unpredictable cyclists than unpredictable pedestrians.
Old 11-15-14, 07:45 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by contango
Autonomous vehicles should help cycling safety as long as cyclists behave in a predictable manner.

I don't honestly know what any given algorithm would do if presented with a large number of objects that are small enough to be easily missed, rapid enough to be tricker to track, and erratic enough that there's no realistic way to determine what they will do next. The same would apply to a group of drunken pedestrians if they were to stagger randomly into the road, although from my own experience I see more unpredictable cyclists than unpredictable pedestrians.
Well if the algorithm is smart enough, it would simply stop the vehicle, like any human should do if suddenly confronting a large number of unpredictable moving objects on the road in the line of intended passage.