Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Surly Disc Trucker or Long Haul Trucker w/canti's

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Surly Disc Trucker or Long Haul Trucker w/canti's

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 08:15 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Mine are Tektro CR710s, similar but I think, lower end than yours. Maybe I should try Swiss Stop pads. Kool Stops were so noisy front and rear I had to take them off. I'm using H Plus Son Archetype rims.
Could be. The pads would be easy to try. I've not had them make a peep in 4 years of riding the bike in pretty much all conditions.

My understanding is that a big issue with cantilever brakes can be if the fork is insufficient and then vibrates. That's not really a brake issue but is a problem with the fork. If that doesn't do it, then I think the trick is a brake bridge with a spot to mount the brake cable or to go to v-brakes that are set up for road levers (same issue - the fork and taking the brake cable out of the vibration loop due to fork flexing). But that sounds extreme and not what your problem is. You'd feel that in the handling of the bike.

J.
Old 06-29-15, 08:20 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I'll tell you what, mini-V brakes sound like a cheaper solution than a new fork! I'll try out the Swiss Stops first.
Old 06-29-15, 08:26 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
For the record, I rode my bike with canti's at 290lbs and they stopped fine for me.
And sound like a wounded seal at the same time
Old 06-29-15, 08:45 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
And sound like a wounded seal at the same time
Upside: People could hear me coming and got out of my way!
Old 06-30-15, 04:06 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I used to have two bikes - a 2009 Specialized Tricross with canti brakes and a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper with hydraulic disc brakes. The Tricross went to the repair shop in the sky when I broke the frame, but not before giving me much faithful service.

Overall I found the brakes on the Tricross were fine, although in conditions that were damp but not hugely wet they became progressively less effective. Once the rims were coated with a layer of sludge from the roads they sounded pretty awful and didn't stop very well. A paper towel wiped away a layer of medium gray sludge, but you can only stop and wipe the rims so many times before it becomes quicker to walk.

The brakes on the Rockhopper are brutal, so much so that having ridden the Tricross exclusively for a time I had to remind myself just how quickly they stopped the bike. The issue I had there was that if I forgot myself I'd lock the wheels and slide. On one occasion I misread a driver's intentions on the approach to a junction and had to brake very hard, and very nearly slid out of control under the wheels of something else (I'm still not quite sure how I avoided running into or under anything). In the wet they squeal a lot too.

Another downside with discs is that the clearance between the disc and the brake pad tends to be very small, so you don't need much of a piece of crud in there for it to rub. If the pistons operating the brakes don't fully return, or if they are only slightly mis-adjusted, your brakes can rub. Not only is the sound annoying but it wastes the energy you're putting into the pedals. And when hauling a Clyde ass up a big hill the last thing you want is to be wasting energy.