Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 08:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane

I don't think the Giant actually warranties crashes. Notice how it says "frame replacements" in the "crash protection part? Yeah, they'll probably give you a 30% discount on a new one to keep you in the fold.
"We’re so confident in Giant’s composite technology, if any composite frame or component is structurally damaged while you’re riding in the first two years after you bought it, we’ll repair it or replace it free of charge. This is in addition to Giant's limited lifetime warranty and offers coverage which usually isn't offered."
Old 12-02-20, 11:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
A friend of mine filled my bike tires with helium . Boy did that make a difference in my singing. Tires, not so much.

As for the original thought about expensive versus inexpensive... All of us see the world through our prism of experience and life circumstance. What each of us prefer is what works best for that individual. There’s no right or wrong answer. However what I find objectionable are the judgements when one person’s preference doesn’t match another’s and they express it negatively. However that can usually be chalked up to trying to temporarily build one’s self worth by tearing down some else. Not a healthy way to develop a positive self-esteem, but it’s all too expedient.

I may not play a psychologist on TV, but I do in real life.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-03-20, 08:05 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
A friend of mine filled my bike tires with helium . Boy did that make a difference in my singing. Tires, not so much.

As for the original thought about expensive versus inexpensive... All of us see the world through our prism of experience and life circumstance. What each of us prefer is what works best for that individual. There’s no right or wrong answer. However what I find objectionable are the judgements when one person’s preference doesn’t match another’s and they express it negatively. However that can usually be chalked up to trying to temporarily build one’s self worth by tearing down some else. Not a healthy way to develop a positive self-esteem, but it’s all too expedient.

I may not play a psychologist on TV, but I do in real life.
Some of the posts sounded like high school sophomores and not the maturity and wisdom that 50+ year olds would have/should have learned.
Likes For mpath:
Old 12-03-20, 11:40 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by mpath
Some of the posts sounded like high school sophomores and not the maturity and wisdom that 50+ year olds would have/should have learned.
When I was a child three phrases were drilled into me (probably for good reason) which have guided me to this day:
- Treat others as you wish to be treated
- If you have nothing good to say then say nothing
​​​​​​- Discretion is a virtue or Better to be a (fill in the blank) in silence rather than opening one’s mouth and removing all doubt.

I consider myself very fortunate to have parents with such rich cliches. They are now in their late 80s and I still thank them for being good parents.

Old 12-03-20, 07:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Discuss with civility, y’all, please.

Old 12-03-20, 08:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Sorry HD3 but I have chosen not to read your responses because you are on my Ignore List. Don’t worry, you are with some very esteemed company.

P.S. My parents also taught me to not waste my time with people consumed with negativity.

Have a better day and happy cycling.

Old 10-26-21, 07:33 AM
classic carl
Old newbie

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5, 2002 Klein Quantum, 2000 Trek 8000, 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 22 Posts
I turned 65 this past August. I also lost about a third of my weight, down to 180 from 270 since early 2020. I'm about to go over 5,000 miles this year. I just bought a new 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5 as a reward to myself about a month ago. My wife was completely on board. I hope to add carbon wheels in the spring. They won't be in stock until then. The bike she wants wont be in stock until March 2023. I was lucky to snag mine.
I've never owned a boat, or a motorcycle, but I do play about 95 rounds of golf each year.
You can't take the money with you, and besides that, it will probably be the last bike I ever buy.
Likes For classic carl:
Old 10-26-21, 02:16 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I used to ride beautiful custom-built lugged steel bikes from boutiquey builders. Now I get as much or maybe even more pleasure from late '80s Asian bikes with early 105 and Exage parts hung on Tange no. 2 framesets. It's kinda like how I used to play exotic vintage guitars worth more than our family cars and now I play a Guitar Center-special Gibson acoustic from right before they started creating a zillion signature models for collectors to compulsively purchase. The experience is more than the material item.
Old 10-26-21, 02:32 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
I'm just glad that, with the occasional Craigslist or eBay find, I can snag a deal on classic lugged steel. Then I can build it up however I want, and still spend less than they want for new bikes. I certainly understand the appeal of a 16 lb bicycle, I get passed by them all the time. It's just not my thing.

However, if I did find a hundred grand at the side of the road, I'd have to seriously consider this: Jetson - Personal Electric Aerial Vehicle (jetsonaero.com)
Perfect for my 6-mile commute!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-26-21, 02:57 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
I'm just glad that, with the occasional Craigslist or eBay find, I can snag a deal on classic lugged steel. Then I can build it up however I want, and still spend less than they want for new bikes. I certainly understand the appeal of a 16 lb bicycle, I get passed by them all the time. It's just not my thing.

However, if I did find a hundred grand at the side of the road, I'd have to seriously consider this: Jetson - Personal Electric Aerial Vehicle (jetsonaero.com)
Perfect for my 6-mile commute!
Ride your bike. I think the FAA may have something to say about using those things to commute.
Old 10-26-21, 05:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by classic carl
I turned 65 this past August. I also lost about a third of my weight, down to 180 from 270 since early 2020. I'm about to go over 5,000 miles this year. I just bought a new 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5 as a reward to myself about a month ago. My wife was completely on board. I hope to add carbon wheels in the spring. They won't be in stock until then. The bike she wants wont be in stock until March 2023. I was lucky to snag mine.
I've never owned a boat, or a motorcycle, but I do play about 95 rounds of golf each year.
You can't take the money with you, and besides that, it will probably be the last bike I ever buy.
I had about 4 years of constant medical issues and finally came to the end of that horrific tunnel. I told my wife that I think I have earned a new bike and started looking at the Emonda SLR, but ended up going Project 1 Domane SLR 7. You know the best day of owning a boat is the day you sell your boat .

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-27-21, 06:37 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Ride your bike. I think the FAA may have something to say about using those things to commute.
You might have a point. Mornings these days are non-VFR for sure. But of course, these things have LIDAR to keep you from bumping into stuff.
(Bikes, Gary, bikes...) Um, never mind.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 10-27-21, 08:15 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Whoa, a six year old thread comes back to life! Glad it did, because I actually went and read the NYT article from the OP.

I am in complete agreement, which is why I recently decided to splurge on a new custom Hampsten. Got tired of dealing with old and busted (I'm a horrible mechanic, anyway), went with the new hotness.

Old 10-27-21, 09:15 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Whoa, a six year old thread comes back to life! Glad it did, because I actually went and read the NYT article from the OP.

I am in complete agreement, which is why I recently decided to splurge on a new custom Hampsten. Got tired of dealing with old and busted (I'm a horrible mechanic, anyway), went with the new hotness.
Keep that economy going, if it makes you feel better.

I bought a less expensive Devinci Stellar (Made in Canada) last year and a RBSM e-MTB this year Those should keep me 'til the end of my days (presently 76 and counting).
Work just fine on anything from pavement to easy single track.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 10-27-21, 09:46 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Keep that economy going, if it makes you feel better.
My choice didn't really have anything to do with keeping the economy going, it had to do with getting a bike I really wanted, built for me. Having recently turned 55, and riding bikes since I was 5, it is worth it to me to get something that will last me until the end of my riding days. Unlike the many used vintage bikes I have owned over the years, I won't have to fix it or replace anything before I can ride it.
Old 10-27-21, 11:15 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I sometimes have to remind myself that just because someone reads and posts on BF doesn’t mean they do their own bike maintenance, repairs and modifications, and that’s perfectly ok.

I build and maintain my own bikes and they pretty much always work perfectly because I keep them in good working order. So I’m relatively indifferent to the prospect of buying a new bike, none of which is exactly what I would build.

OTOH, that has absolutely nothing to do with how other people relate to bikes and what they buy. Most other riders I see out and about here have a much newer bike and seem perfectly happy with it, just as I am with mine. We do have several quality bike shops in town, which is quite nice.

Who knows? At some point I may even want to buy a new bike, or at least a new frame.

Otto
Old 10-28-21, 11:21 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
........................................... I won't have to fix it or replace anything before I can ride it.
Good point.

Perhaps I would have looked at my purchases from a similar angle with so many years of riding ahead of me.
The reason I went for a considerably lower price point ..... how many years will there be left?
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 10-28-21, 01:23 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

The reason I went for a considerably lower price point ..... how many years will there be left?
Absolutely, that makes sense. I would do the same.
Old 10-28-21, 03:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
So... fewer years you'll need to pay electric and water bills=more money to spend on something else... good reason to go large on your bucket-bike.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 10-28-21, 07:16 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
A terrible thread resurrected for an even more terrible reason.
Good stuff
Old 10-28-21, 07:35 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
$5k on a bike? Sure!

If I was an avid cyclist who would use the bike routinely, earned $250,000+ / year, had low debt and there was undeniable value inherent to that bike at that price point, then yes why not.

(This comes from a guy who rides a bike all year, on a (just recently deceased) 1986 Raleigh Elkhorn with a milk crate on the back)

I just recently discovered a bike brand I'd never heard of and they make a heck of nice bike which is practical for the type of riding I do. I'd love to have one. It's priced at about 3500 euro. This is about 35 times out of my current price range, BTW.
Old 10-30-21, 08:38 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Life's too short to ride a crappy bike or drink cheap wine.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-30-21, 02:33 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by classic carl
+1 I looked for the word "amortize" in this thread and didn't see it, so I'll add it. One can look at the total price on the bike, OR one can divide that total price by the miles ridden.
Likes For randallr:
Old 10-30-21, 03:37 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
+1 I looked for the word "amortize" in this thread and didn't see it, so I'll add it. One can look at the total price on the bike, OR one can divide that total price by the miles ridden.
Or the smiles given!
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 10-31-21, 08:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I have been around this forum for about a year or so, and it seems like people get a lot more criticism for buying expensive bikes than cheap bikes. It appears at times everyone is fine with $200 complete bikes but find the $5,000+ bikes pure insanity.

I-Like-To-Bike posted a link to this article in a thread in the general biking section. I believe it makes a lot of sense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/yo...-you-love.html

In part, I wonder if this crowd, the older crowd, sees things any differently than the younger crowd. Many folks, by this age, have some extra cash in their pocket. Also, if you have gone through other hobbies (sports cars, boats, motorcycles) a $5,000+ bike no longer sounds expensive.

When I got back into biking seriously, my first bike was an expensive bike. I did not want any excuses about the bike being limiting (whether real or imagined), and I wanted something that I thought was so cool that I was motivated to ride it. Things worked out well going this route.

Thoughts?

And, please, do not make this into some tangential debate on a thinly related topic. I am a bike loving kind of guy who is also always thinking and wondering about human behavior, not good, not bad, just curious.
To be absolutely brutal about it only two types of people will buy a $15,000 bike, people that race, and people with tons of money that want to impress others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.