Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Richard Sachs Ending New Orders

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Richard Sachs Ending New Orders

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 12:45 PM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Just for the fun of it, I would like to ride one of his bikes. I have a suspicion that I wouldn't be selling my Cervelo R3 or any of the other "off the shelf" bikes I have owned. Anyone else been able to make a similiar comparison??
Old 07-18-08, 12:51 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutnick
wrong. I barely have time to even sit on my sofa.

Maybe you need to take more photos of bikes. That seems to be productive.

You're just sore that you can't man up enough to go get your frame.

Forgive me if I don't answer for ohh...a week or more. I'm off to go RIDE.
You do that big boy.
Old 07-18-08, 12:54 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goodness, you want one? Get in line...

Ya don't ...? Ride on...!

This roughing up of others is just crazy talk.
Old 07-18-08, 02:28 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
Just for the fun of it, I would like to ride one of his bikes. I have a suspicion that I wouldn't be selling my Cervelo R3 or any of the other "off the shelf" bikes I have owned. Anyone else been able to make a similiar comparison??
I've raced many "off the shelf" bikes, and several customs since I started racing track in 1986. I've raced MANY aluminum, carbon, and steel bikes in BMX, track, xcmtb, and road races... mostly at the expert level. I also have spent a lot of time, and money the last few years learning to build my own frames, which I can do reasonably well with enough time to correct silly mistakes.

I wish Richard would extend his list another few months so I could get on it. Does that answer your question.
Old 07-18-08, 02:55 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfcrossrider
Please keep us posted.
+1.
Old 07-18-08, 03:10 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
Well...that's kind of the point to a Sachs rig....with them being virtually impossible to get or ride you basically always get to take someone else's word on it. What's more is that person's opinion will always be right by default. Nothing to contrast it with.

....how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?

....what's the best saddle (and no it's not a Brooks you hippies)?

Old 07-18-08, 03:49 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what's the big deal? either you want a frame, or you don't- it's pretty cut and dry. it's not like those waiting for a frame can't ride another bike while waiting for a RS (or SW) frame to be finished. why does it matter if joe blow in idaho wants to wait 5 years for a frame? how does that affect your life? i can tell you that 55/Rad waiting to get his paint finished isn't ruining my life. DarrenCT paying $3,000+ for a RS frame didn't affect my life one bit- and if he thinks it's the best frame he's ever had the chance to ride- good for him!

maybe some people just want something to hate.

Last edited by redmist; 07-18-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 03:54 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by redmist
what's the big deal? either you want a frame, or you don't- it's pretty cut and dry. it's not like those waiting for a frame can't ride another bike while waiting for a RS (or SW) frame to be finished. why does it matter if joe blow in idaho wants to wait 5 years for a frame? how does that affect your life? i can tell you that 55/Rad waiting to get his paint finished isn't ruining my life. DarrenCT paying $3,000+ for a RS frame didn't affect my life one bit- and if he thinks it's the best frame he's ever had the chance to ride- good for him!

maybe some people just want something to hate.
Why do you hate haters?

Old 07-18-08, 04:00 PM
redmist
outside agitator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Why do you hate haters?
life's too short to have to listen to negativity. i'd rather do my own thing than worry about what others are doing.
Old 07-18-08, 04:05 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Here is a question:

How many of the people hating on these frames have ridden one?

And:

How many of you can afford one?

I think that should clear things up pretty fast.
Old 07-18-08, 04:17 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
Here is a question:

How many of the people hating on these frames have ridden one?

And:

How many of you can afford one?

I think that should clear things up pretty fast.
That's kind of the point. There aren't enough for many to actually ride. As for who can afford one...you have to be kidding me. After you take out the starving college students on here just about everyone else can.

Again...not really the point. IIRC it isn't necessarily Sachs intent to price these into the stratosphere or make them unavailable to all but a select few. I do truly believe he simply is a well regarded craftsman who has been blessed with the opportunity to conduct business in a way that he prefers - maintaining the "integrity" of his product in his eyes while affording him the opportunity to live his life the way he wants....just want any man would want I would assume.

Hope I haven't come off as a Sachs hater on this one - because I am not - I just get bugged when people start worshipping ANY bicycle.

....except for 7-Eleven Serotta frame....those are OK to worship because they were made by god and ridden by angels.

Old 07-18-08, 05:06 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i'd go for a Kirk, Mooney, or a Bohemian before a Sachs. There's so many talented frame builders right now.
the deal comes down to handmade. I'd love a Crumpton or Ruegamer too. Even something like a Time is very handmade (did you know they only allow women to do their cf layups?), and for me holds a lot more value than say a PedalForce or Giant.
you can argue all you want about art vs. tool - form vs. function, but when all the elements of something so complex all come together under the hands of a master craftsman (or woman), just for you, it's something more than just buying off the rack at the local shop.
Old 07-18-08, 05:31 PM
BikerJoeP

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14max
You just have no clue whatsoever...
Amen Brother!!!!! I mean whata stupid comparison
Old 07-18-08, 05:52 PM
BikerJoeP

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gravityslip
LOL *high 5* Whoop deee doo, he is a doctor bragging about his "skill" on a bike forum. Color me impressed.
Touche!!!
Old 07-18-08, 05:54 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BikerJoeP
Touche!!!
I don't think you know what that means. Or certainly not how to use it in this context.

Last edited by DrPete; 07-18-08 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 06:12 PM
skinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sacha white
Skinny,

Frame alignment alone has multiple phases throughout the building process and takes a combined 3+ hours for me and my assistant. If someone wanted to skip processes like this, and proper lug fit up for a good, strong, straight joint (another 1-3 hours) and any number of other steps that make a frame Excellent, then the frames could be put out in a shorter amount of time.

The 10 hour frame is not what I am here to build though, and it's not what people come to me for.

-Sacha
Of course, you are doing the presentation. But it doesn't take anywhere near three hours to align a frame and you don't have to skip processes like you suggest to properly align a frame. In the shop I was at, we tacked the main triangle, aligned, brazed the main triangle, aligned, brazed stays, aligned, etc... There were many alignment steps and they were performed on a machinists table with a dial guage. If I say alignment of a frame took an hour of total build time, I'm overestimating. Now any builder worth his salt knows that if you put a perfectly aligned frame under a rider, it takes less energy to ride and the rider perceives it to be a better riding frame. These frames are literally raved about and sought after I think because alignment was heavily emphasized. They did use all investment cast fixtures that come with the right tolerances for proper brazing, which along with the reduced finish time is the main reason builders use them-less prep. You don't have to skip proper lug fit it you are using quality investment cast lugs, bottom brackets, crowns, etc... with standard tube diameters as it was all done back in the day. If you want to carve little flames into the lugs like some builders, then yes, the instability in the lug requires more attention. But good investment cast lugs require little prep. This isn't Mercian hearth brazing custom cut lugs and tapping with a hammer to close the tolerances between the lug and the tube. And if one wants an example of how it is possible to get proper lug fit with investment cast lugs and dramatically reduce production time, one only needs to consider the 80's example of Trek who were building high end frames with silver brazing, which for the uninitiated requires the most exacting tolerance between lug and tube, and doing it quite well. They didn't have Joe Bell paint to fancy them up, but they were straight, rode well and lasted with no compromise in lug fit.

Last edited by skinny; 07-18-08 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 06:53 PM
sacha white

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ Skinny,

In my experience, to do things right, it takes the amount of time that I spend. If I could spend less time and have things be at the level that I want them to be, I would spend less time.

The way that I have designed my process, alignment takes the time that it takes, lug fit up takes what it takes etc.

In my experience IC lugs NEVER fit up perfectly right out of the box. Depending on the tube, they are either too loose, or too tight. Getting them to where they need to be is part of the deal for me.

If your experience is different than mine, great. But don't Fuing call me out like I am making this ***** up. That's not my style.

And by the way, if you are going to come in here like a big man framebuilder, use your real name for christ sake.
Old 07-18-08, 07:06 PM
skinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ Skinny, In my experience, to do things right, it takes the amount of time that I spend. If I could spend less time and have things be at the level that I want them to be, I would spend less time. The way that I have designed my process, alignment takes the time that it takes, lug fit up takes what it takes etc.h
In my experience IC lugs NEVER fit up perfectly right out of the box. Depending on the tube, they are either too loose, or too tight. Getting them to where they need to be is part of the deal for me.hjb If your experience is different than mine, great. But don't Fuing call me out like I am making this ***** up. That's not my style. And by the way, if you are going to come in here like a big man framebuilder, use your real name for christ sake.
I wasn't calling you out and I wasn't acting the big man frame builder. Didn't mean to activate your ego. I was really just informing the readers that there is another side to the issues you raised. Just as an example, you were the one that suggested that proper lug fit would be compromised on frames that didn't take 30 hours or "10 hour frames" as you called them. But if the tolerances are such that good flow is accomplished throughout the lug, what difference does it make if it takes 15 minutes or an hour to prep it. The end result is a strong frame. TREK was the perfect example. I merely tried to make this and other points clearer to people reading.

Now, any more names you'd like to call me? I haven't been called "big man" since high school. You're making me feel young again.
Old 07-18-08, 07:08 PM
sacha white

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I don't think you know what that means. Or certainly not how to use it in this context.
I think he meant "oh snap!!!", or maybe "booyah!!!"
Old 07-18-08, 07:12 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think he meant "oh snap!!!", or maybe "booyah!!!"
Probably. Whatever.
Old 07-18-08, 07:14 PM
MacBeth
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have one on order, and happily my wait will only be about 2 more years.

I love the bikes and the approach Richard takes to his work. I want to support people like him.

I have a woodshop where I build furniture. You can go to Wallyworld and purchase perfectly servicable furniture. You could buy from me at 3 times the price and still have perfectly servicable furniture. Most go to Wallyworld. Those who buy from me have their reasons. Go figure.
Old 07-18-08, 07:15 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Admittedly knowing little to nothing about the specific suppliers supplying the castings in these cases, but speaking as someone who fights with foundries daily, and has mountains of foundry scrap sitting in my casting yard....

...I can believe it would take a mountain of time to obtain what Sacha is wishing to achieve.

....as a mass producer of extremely tight toleranced power transmission components...the whole idea of crafts manufacturing of anything makes my skin crawl. At least you guys have an opportunity to deploy many Lean fundamentals.

Hopefully you all use Lean fundamentals in your offices to help let you work on the business instead of in the business.

Old 07-18-08, 07:15 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MacBeth
Those who buy from me have their reasons. Go figure.
Real wood?

It's a little depressing to think what will be in antique shops 100 years from now after all the particle board has disintegrated.
Old 07-18-08, 07:18 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
....except for 7-Eleven Serotta frame....those are OK to worship because they were made by god and ridden by angels.
Why do you hate Motorola Eddy Merckx frames? They were ridden by angels too.

And why didn't you man-up and by that Hampsten bike?
Old 07-18-08, 07:22 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by iab
Why do you hate Motorola Eddy Merckx frames? They were ridden by angels too.

And why didn't you man-up and by that Hampsten bike?
Meh...Don't know why. Probably because they don't say "Huffy" on them.

As for the Hampsten bike....I had to ignore the listing as soon as you sent it to me. Otherwise I would have done something very silly ....like buy it.

Instead I just went out and rode....

Also, somthing about that listing was fishy. Almost like it was really saying, "just like Hampsten's bike". It looked right, felt right, and probably even smelled right, but something about the whole thing was a little off. Probably the real frame, but everything else was bought and put on....

.....wait a minute...what did you just do to me...???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.