Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brooks Saddle Revisited

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brooks Saddle Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 07:19 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Brooks Saddle Revisited

Sometime ago I posted an issue with my B17 saddle. One of the steel rivets is no longer flush. As time goes by it is getting worse. I emailed Brooks. They responded by saying that I should hammer the rivet. That did not work. It worked on my Brooks professional saddle that has copper rivets. I need to remedy the problem before my cycling shorts gets torn from the rivet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-24, 07:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Look up Brian(?) Firth's "shop" that just showed at the Philly Bike Expo. He's done a lot of Brooks saddle work. Firth & Wilson Transport Cycles | Phila. PA Andy
Old 03-20-24, 08:59 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Is there a reason you can't drill out the offending rivet and replace? Lots of people make screw together rivets that should be close to your size, Brooks sells hammer type and screw type but only for Cambium, Selle Anatomica sells rivets and Chicago screws as do lots of other manufactures.
Old 03-20-24, 09:55 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Sometime ago I posted an issue with my B17 saddle. One of the steel rivets is no longer flush. As time goes by it is getting worse. I emailed Brooks. They responded by saying that I should hammer the rivet. That did not work. It worked on my Brooks professional saddle that has copper rivets.
Didn't work because you couldn't get behind it with something to use as an anvil, or you didn't have a large enough hammer? If you did the same with the copper rivet, with the steel rivet just hit it harder. Or replace the steel rivet with a copper one. If you're worried about your shorts, wrap the rivet with duct tape until you get it fixed.
Old 03-20-24, 11:38 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 744 Posts
Sometime ago I posted an issue with my B17 saddle. One of the steel rivets is no longer flush. As time goes by it is getting worse. I emailed Brooks. They responded by saying that I should hammer the rivet. That did not work. It worked on my Brooks professional saddle that has copper rivets. I need to remedy the problem before my cycling shorts gets torn from the rivet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You may want to concider simply replacing that rivet. It really isn't difficult. Brooks even has a video showing how to do it.

Likes For phughes:
Old 03-20-24, 06:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
You need something along the lines of a rivet set to be the anvil underneath the saddle to really get a good smack down.
Probably even a piece of bar stock or maybe all thread.

https://tackstore.org/shop/heritage-...burr-setter-9/
Old 03-20-24, 06:45 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I have successfully replaced steel rivets with copper ones on 3 or 4 saddles. I bought the correct rivets from McMaster Carr. They must be annealed before doing g the work.
Old 03-20-24, 08:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Quick check----

You do know that you have to dolly the rivet for hammering to work???

My preferred method is to stand a rounded punch in a vise. Set the inside of the rivet, then hammer on the top side.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-21-24, 04:02 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Is there a reason you can't drill out the offending rivet and replace? Lots of people make screw together rivets that should be close to your size, Brooks sells hammer type and screw type but only for Cambium, Selle Anatomica sells rivets and Chicago screws as do lots of other manufactures.
Screw together rivets sound like a good idea. I never thought of using Chicago screws. I don't know how flush they would be however.
Old 03-21-24, 04:04 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Quick check----

You do know that you have to dolly the rivet for hammering to work???

My preferred method is to stand a rounded punch in a vise. Set the inside of the rivet, then hammer on the top side.
I am ashamed to say that I had nothing to support the underside of the rivet. Thanks for the reminder. For the price of the saddle, I should not have to come up with solutions.
Old 03-21-24, 04:47 AM
cyclomath

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I have just lost a rivet, the one at the tip of the saddle. Didn't even notice it until a friend asked me how and when it happened.
My plan is to visit one of the leather shops in the area and see if they can hammer one in. Brooks is just plain awesome, I haven't worn a padded shorts/bib in more than five years i.e. since I switched to Brooks.
Old 03-21-24, 05:31 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Look up Brian(?) Firth's "shop" that just showed at the Philly Bike Expo. He's done a lot of Brooks saddle work. Firth & Wilson Transport Cycles | Phila. PA Andy
Simon.
Awesome guy.
Old 03-21-24, 11:16 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 744 Posts
I am ashamed to say that I had nothing to support the underside of the rivet. Thanks for the reminder. For the price of the saddle, I should not have to come up with solutions.
Watch the video I linked, he literally used a wooden bench top. Look, I have all the tools, a nice vise, with an anvil, etc., but it is not necessary or even recommended for the rivets on a Brooks.I would not use an anvil on it, or if I did, I would be covering it with a soft material like leather. I would use a bench top like the man in the video did, or on my bench, I use another block of hard wood for this type of thing.

Remove the rivet as shown on the video, and replace it as shown on the video. You honestly are not going to flatten the steel rivet from its top, that is not how they are intended to be set. It needs to be set from the bottom whilst supported on its top. You cannot hit it on the top and expect it to stay down. The bottom of the rivet needs to be spread out as it is being set to keep the head down flush.

It is easier to remove and replace, but you can reset it if you do it right.
Old 03-21-24, 01:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Stuff happens. Leather is a natural material so it's prone to changes that Google ol' reliable plastic isn't.

My Brooks Pro from 1967 is still OK with something like 75k road miles on it. BITD Brooks did not peen the rivets, that became cool later, but it comes at a price, namely edges that can lift and rip shorts, but it takes minimal effort to maintain a comfortable saddle for eons.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-21-24, 08:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Some of us grew up with baseball gloves and made their own belts as a kid. Leather is a cool material that has some interesting qualities, age/exposure patinas. Andy (who is wearing a well patinaed self made belt)