Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sew up vs. Clincher wheel/tire performance 'debate'

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 01:44 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

My pal Don and I are both pushing 50 (well, OK, I AM 50) and we raced together frequently over the years. We're both big fans of Zipp 404/tubular tire wheels, we ride/race on them. We were discussing this today during our ride in the lovely 28ºF/25mph NW wind weather (we are not wussies, we rode). We came to these mutual conclusions:

• People that actually claim clinchers are faster than tubulars seem to be informed by Internet not experience.

• Don said that @ Somerville last year the pro wheel pit was mostly tubulars and Zipps (or Zipp type) wheels.

• We both strongly feel the Zipp/tubular combo bolted on to any of our bikes feels noticeably faster in competitive riding situations, and we have enough experience to emphatically confirm that.

• Euro pros who generally ride whatever they feel is best because they're getting it free from sponsors or have the budgets to support it mostly ride tubulars.

• I've had people on this board tell me 160lbs is too much psi for road riding/racing. Uh huh. Been doing it now for over a year on the open road, Don says he races with guys who pump Contis up to 180lbs for crits. No problems.

• When I say 'Zipp', I use that term generically, insert your favorite brand of carbon deep dish light tubular wheel here ________.

We strongly feel the weight savings/higher pressure/better cornering/less puncture prone nature of tubulars makes them superior to clinchers. More of a pain? Of course? Worth it? Yes.

By the way, Don sends his flat tubies to a guy in Florida for repair. $10 to fix a flat sew up plus a couple of bucks for postage.

Discuss. Flame wars welcome. This place is getting boring.
Old 12-01-07, 01:47 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Campy.

Oh wait, wrong thread.
Old 12-01-07, 01:48 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
Campy.

Oh wait, wrong thread.
It's the effort that counts ElJ.
Old 12-01-07, 01:50 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

I voted with my wallet for tubular.

As you indicated one of the limitations of this study that we've all seen is that it only tests the tubulars up to 120 psi or something along those lines.

Additionally I believe the Zipp tubulars are slightly more aero than their clincher version.

I bought some Pit Stop in case I get a flat, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 12-01-07 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-01-07, 01:56 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

I voted with my wallet for tubular.
I only drag out the Zipp 404s on perfect days. The fact that it requires a brake pad swap makes it a bit more involved. In the summer I often just leave the Zipps/carbon pads on the Cdale. But I'm riding those Zipps considerably less in the winter so the clinchers are back on the Six13 for this week.
Old 12-01-07, 01:59 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Additionally I believe the Zipp tubulars are slightly more aero than their clincher version.
Both of us feel that what makes the Zipp tubies fast is the considerably lighter weight vs. clinchers (something like 300+ grams/wheelset) and the 160+psi we ride them at. I'll only pump clinchers up to 120psi. At speeds over 25mph and going up hill, the tubular Zipps really do seem to require less watts. We both strongly believe that. All in our minds? Perhaps. But we don't think so, and the other people I know who ride these in the real world all seem to agree.
Old 12-01-07, 02:02 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Three things that scare me.

3. Getting a flat.
1. No experience with tubular.
2. Cost. (But see below)

Maybe some day. Though the recent Performance or Nashbar sale on the Mavic tubular rims made think hard about them.
Old 12-01-07, 02:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Just an FYI Pcaddy, you can use your Shimano pads on zipp wheels.

As for my opinion, I really dig the feel of tubulars, but ride clinchers because they're easier and cheaper to deal with in case of flats. I'd buy a pair of tubular rims for racing, but I don't have that type of guap stash to throw down.
Old 12-01-07, 02:12 PM
GatorFL
I miss my bike.

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, S-Works Transition

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who's the guy in Florida who fixes them? I've thrown away a couple tubular tires and it would be nice to stop doing that....
Old 12-01-07, 02:13 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I don't have that type of guap stash to throw down.

Originally Posted by bikesdirect_com
VUELTA CUSTOM CARBON FIBER TUBULAR WHEELSET - $398 – this is a special request from forum members; retail would be a lot [about $1200] as this price is close to manufacturing cost. 50mm CF Monocque rim, precision 5 bearing hubs, 20f/24r, 2x, Aero 2.2 butted bladed; factory quoted 1561 grams {I can post sample weight once I see them} Shimano or Campy – please tell Lindsay (expected ship date – Feb)
Guap Stash?
Old 12-01-07, 02:16 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

^ oh my. I'm mad fresh money son. Ima get in on that.

Gaup Stash - benjamins. nest egg. cash money.
Old 12-01-07, 02:21 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

I gathered. So is it Guap or Gaup? And what is 'bling', anyway? Non-hip-minds want to know.
Old 12-01-07, 02:22 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
As for my opinion, I really dig the feel of tubulars, but ride clinchers because they're easier and cheaper to deal with in case of flats. I'd buy a pair of tubular rims for racing, but I don't have that type of guap stash to throw down.
I use clinchers for training, but tubulars for racing. You don't have to spend big bucks though. I have old 1980's front tubulars that are pretty light. I just bought a rear wheel off Ebay and am going to put on a lighter rim. I'll end up with a tubular pair weighing around 1500 grams (guessing), with a cost of about $250. They will have zero bling (I don't care). But they will ride better than $600 clinchers

PCad, 180 psi in a crit !!! I think you're better off with lower psi for cornering grip. Some say that too high a psi actually slows you down because it causes the bike to bounce & bump too much.
Old 12-01-07, 02:24 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I gathered. So is it Guap or Gaup? And what is 'bling', anyway? Non-hip-minds want to know.
Guap. like Guac(amole).

Bling = ice
Old 12-01-07, 03:31 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
As you indicated one of the limitations of this study that we've all seen is that it only tests the tubulars up to 120 psi or something along those lines.
What about this study? https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/r...e-tubular.html
Old 12-01-07, 03:53 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorFL
Who's the guy in Florida who fixes them? I've thrown away a couple tubular tires and it would be nice to stop doing that....
https://www.tirealert.com/
Old 12-01-07, 04:12 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal

3. Getting a flat.
2. Cost. (But see below)

Maybe some day. Though the recent Performance or Nashbar sale on the Mavic tubular rims made think hard about them.
3. You swap tires on the road as you swap clincher tubes on the road. Argueably, changing a tubular is faster. And before some jackass says you have to ride slow on a spare, more accurate is you should not race on a spare. Anything else is fine.

1. If you don't tinker with your bike, don't get tubulars unless you have money to pay someone to do it for you. If you have the hand-eye coordination of a monkey, you can mount tubulars. There is more time needed for the initial set-up, but if you have more than one set of rims or an extra bike, there is no issue.

2. For wheels, absolutely not. I can build a sub 1300 gram tubular wheelset for $300 (not including my labor). For tires, yes. A single silk Dugast will run you up to $205. But you can also get cheap 3 for $50 tubulars too.
Old 12-01-07, 04:44 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal

3. Getting a flat.
2. Cost. (But see below)
For me it's only about flats. I'm concerned about being halfway up a mountain somewhere without cell service and with a flat I can't fix. Or the second flat, if I brought a spare.
Old 12-01-07, 04:46 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Discuss. Flame wars welcome. This place is getting boring.
Yawn. What's better for WHAT application? For training clinchers are superior to tubulars in everyway possible. What, you're going to bring 3 spare tires with you?

P.S This thread hasn't been done before /sarcasm
Old 12-01-07, 04:49 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Changing a tubie flat is easy. You don't glue it on the road, you just put it on the rim, pump it up and take it easy on the corners. You add glue later at home. The biggest pain? The valve extenders or presta valve core replacements. Tubular race wheels are pricey, but if you ride competitively I think they're the best bang for the buck next to a power meter. And power meters help you get faster but they don't give you an instant boost as soon as they're bolted to your existing rig.

KP: I have been told to only use carbon pads on carbon rims quite emphatically by multiple sources. The rubber Dura Ace pads collect small aluminum frags from the alu rims on clinchers, and those can scratch your carbon rims if you don't change them. I haven't tried it, but I don't want to find out that it was a bad idea on a set of wheels that just went up to $2100 MSRP (new 2008 Zipp MSRP).

That $1200 set of 2006 Zipp 404s with tires I scored on eBay in March look like a better deal every day.

I'll try to get you guys that FL flat guy's contact info shortly. KP, you can score Zipps after you become a bond trader at Goldman Sachs. You won't have time to train, but you'll have the Schwag.
Old 12-01-07, 04:55 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sfrider
For me it's only about flats. I'm concerned about being halfway up a mountain somewhere without cell service and with a flat I can't fix. Or the second flat, if I brought a spare.
I used to train on tubulars once in a while. I would fold up 2 used tires (side by side) & use an old toe strap to attach them to the seat rails. Used tubulars make good spares because they should have some old glue that will help hold them on until you get home.
Old 12-01-07, 05:25 PM
within

Bikes: Scott cr1. Scott Plasma.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a short thread regarding TireAlert. Ron usually emails or calls back the same day if you have any questions! Can't do seamless tires...
Old 12-01-07, 05:26 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I sure as hell hope tubies are better - just got a pair of used 404 tubies off ebay.

Gotta get some carbon pads and then it's off to Hains point to test them out.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 12-01-07, 05:52 PM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my first set of tubies today (FSA rd488)... test rode them with no glue and they were smooth as butter... felt really nice.. almost like i had a tailwind.. i've got no experience with tubular.. but i did get the rundown on them... i was surprised that fsa says these wheels can be used for cyclocross.. NEVER!!
anyway.. i'm planning on riding them a lot.. wish me luck!
Old 12-01-07, 06:08 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WxGuesser
I got my first set of tubies today (FSA rd488)... test rode them with no glue and they were smooth as butter... felt really nice.. almost like i had a tailwind.. i've got no experience with tubular.. but i did get the rundown on them... i was surprised that fsa says these wheels can be used for cyclocross.. NEVER!!
anyway.. i'm planning on riding them a lot.. wish me luck
!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.