Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Studded Tires Arrive & are Great

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 08:06 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

The new Nokian Hakkapeliitta A10 studded tires (700 X 35) arrived on Monday. Got them mounted last night (without tools, I might add) and gave them their first test runs last night and on this morning's commute. Given we had 24 inches of snow over the weekend, it was a good test.

The 72 carbide studs really do a nice job on hard packed snow and ice. Not once did I feel that I didn't have adequate control of the bike, even climbing the short 17% grade back to the house last night. Of course you can't hot dog on them and ride carelessly, but if one is moderately attentive and careful, they really make riding much better. Took the bike through an unplowed parking lot (unfortunately the store for which the lot was built went out of business), and they weren't great in 20+ inches of snow, but that's not how I'll be using them.

I also wasn't sure how I was going to like the ride given their weight, sidewall stiffness, and tread depth. There is no doubt that you're not on a typical road tire, and you do take longer to accelerate. However, the ride feel is more comfortable than I thought. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that the recommended tire pressure is only 58 psi. Finally, I was thrilled that there was more than enough clearance under my SKS ESGE mudguards. All in all these are going to make the commute for the rest of this winter much more enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Studded Tire.jpg (14.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-23-09, 06:59 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm entering my fourth winter on my Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 tires in 700x35, and feel about the same as you.
Old 12-23-09, 08:21 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those are the tires I mounted for a commute Monday. Unfortunately the road surface was a mixture of wet pavement and very uneven 1 - 3" ice pack and 2 - 5" loose slush. That grabs the front wheel and tries to wrestle control of the steering making the ride very strenuous. I did not adjust my brake pads and one jammed into the rear tire, sapping my energy until I noticed after a couple miles later. I thought I had become quite weak.
On smooth snow, snowpack, or glaze / black ice these tires are incredible. The bike will leave cars spinning out and sliding sideways as I pedal slowly away
Old 12-23-09, 09:19 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
We don't get enough snow to justify the funds for studded tires. Just out of curiosity, is braking with them a lot different than with regular tires?
Old 12-24-09, 06:33 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
We don't get enough snow to justify the funds for studded tires. Just out of curiosity, is braking with them a lot different than with regular tires?
Braking on ice or packed snow is different than on a dry road surface regardless of the tire. If anything the studs make braking a bit more controlled and/or predictable.
Old 12-24-09, 07:36 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5473 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Once you have them you will not want to be without them.
Old 12-24-09, 09:27 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
Unfortunately the road surface was a mixture of wet pavement and very uneven 1 - 3" ice pack and 2 - 5" loose slush. That grabs the front wheel and tries to wrestle control of the steering making the ride very strenuous.
Hardpack over refreeze is the hardest surface imaginable to ride on. The ruts in the refreeze try to make your wheel follow them, and the hardpack on top shifts out from under the wheel without warning.

It takes patience and finesse to manage this surface. If you try to brute force it, it doesn't work quite as well.

When I encounter it, first I slow way down, shifting to my granny. Spinning like crazy helps maintain, and regain balance. Then I shift my weight back on the bike, so the front is as unweighted as possible. This lets it shift side-to-side without throwing me around. Finally, I keep my grip and upper body loose to go with the flow.

This seems to work remarkably well. The hardest part is that it runs counter to my first and natural reaction, which is to strongarm it and tough it out. That never ends well for me.