Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Android Turn-by-Turn Nav App Needs Some Testers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 11:07 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(I update this thread in the comments so jump to the last comment if you want the latest status.)

I have another thread in General Cycling that doesn't seem to have much interest so I thought I'd ask here in the 41...

I've been working on an Android Turn-by-Turn Navigation app that does audio announcements only so as not to be distracting and still useable with the screen off. I think I have it to the point now that it should be somewhat useable. Unfortunately, I'm not able to ride and can hardly hobble at the moment because I was in the hospital yesterday--I can but my leg starts to hurt pretty quickly. I could use some testers that are understanding that it's in alpha testing.

As for the app...
I'm trying to get the app extremely frugal on battery usage so it functions a bit differently than most and VERY different than OSMand:
1. It only uses the Internet when downloading GPX (will do TCX soon) files.
2. It stores the route files on sdcard storage. You only need to download them once.
3. It strictly follows a route. It doesn't allow you to reroute; however, it does allow you to start the navigation on any cue point.
4. It shows a route cue list and highlights the next turn.
5. It only does turn by turn audio navigation. It does NOT show a map.
6. It calculates the time until the next turn based on your speed and has 3 configurable alert times so you can be told in advance of a turn.
7. It slows down gps updates when they are not needed such as on roads with a long distance between turns.
8. If other applications use GPS updates it will use those updates instead of spawning it's own to save on battery usage.

The goal is to make it so you can keep your phone in your pocket with an earphone in and the app will overlay the audio onto the other audio you have going. That way you wont have to be distracted by looking at a screen and can just keep riding...

If you're willing to help me test I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by iconicflux; 10-19-12 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-06-12, 01:32 AM
wanton007

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be interested in alpha testing - I work in software qa to begin with. Does this mean I can also listen to music and it will announce the instructions over the music? I also live in Canada as well but I don't think that would really make a difference?
Old 10-06-12, 05:37 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that means that it should announce the instructions over the music. I still have to figure out how Google turns the volume down for all other audio apps when playing it's Google Navigator instructions to make them easier to hear.

It shouldn't matter where in the world someone is as long as they can make a Garmin GPX file such as the ones on ridewithgps.com.

I'll send you a PM with a link to get the software sometime today. I want to put in some code to upload logs to a web server first so that I can see what the app is doing.

Thanks a bunch!
Kevin

Originally Posted by wanton007
I'd be interested in alpha testing - I work in software qa to begin with. Does this mean I can also listen to music and it will announce the instructions over the music? I also live in Canada as well but I don't think that would really make a difference?
Old 10-07-12, 10:44 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wanton007 - I just sent you some info and the link to download the app. I sent it via email so check your email box.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin
Old 10-07-12, 10:48 PM
DevinL

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 '12 SRAM RIVAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm down!! I'm always on XDA and Rootz Wiki. Normally use a Garmin500, but having turn by turn would rule! Running a Galaxy Nexus.
Old 10-07-12, 11:09 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just sent you the info.. not sure if it was in PM or in email...

I forgot to mention that I did get the audio ducking working so that when it's playing the turn by turn stuff it doesn't cut off your music but just lowers the volume on your other stuff slightly.
Old 10-07-12, 11:15 PM
DevinL

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 '12 SRAM RIVAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks man. You should post this on XDA if you haven't already.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=530
Old 10-07-12, 11:38 PM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im down.
Old 10-08-12, 08:41 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biscayne05 - You have a PM..
Thanks!
Old 10-09-12, 05:33 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those of you that have the app. I'd love to hear if it's working alright for you and what bugs you've found that I need to fix.
Old 10-09-12, 06:38 PM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to test it. I've been using Osmand so far. It's usable but has some quirks. I'm a programmer too so hopefully I can be helpful with the testing.
Old 10-10-12, 02:05 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gatorfreak - Awesome! I sent you a PM with the details of where to get it. I'll be uploading a newer version of CueNav tomorrow with some fixes for some crashes in it.

Once I have this app good enough (both functionally and looking) I'll probably put it up for sale on the app store but I'll make sure it's always free for people that help me with the alpha/beta testing of it.
Old 10-10-12, 08:35 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have been looking for an app like yours, and I would like to help with testing. I ride almost every day, and although I'm not strictly speaking a programmer, my work is to develop sophisticated websites using JavaScript and PHP.
Old 10-10-12, 08:51 AM
thedrivel

Bikes: 2009 Releigh Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to test your app. I don't have enough posts to send you a PM though. I'm a graphic designer that does some programming.
Old 10-10-12, 08:58 AM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to test your app too. I have the Galaxy S III if that makes any difference. I'm riding tomorrow morning and will route my usual loop to see how it goes.
Old 10-12-12, 09:02 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thedrivel & cvall91 - I'll send you info on where to get the app soon. I've been working hard every night to improve it and it's really coming along.

I've just about got the RideWithGPS integration working. Right now when you go to download routes it has a swipey action bar (similar to Google Play) with 3 tabs. One tab "RIDEWITHGPS MYROUTES" shows all the routes in your RideWithGPS account. One tab "CUSTOM DOWNLOAD" can be used to download the files from custom URL's that you provide it. Then I'll have one tab "RIDEWITHGPS SEARCH" that will be used for searching for routes on RWGPS.

Those guys at RWGPS are awesome. I hope they get some signups from people using my app cause their site is great and they have been really responsive to my questions.
Old 10-12-12, 10:28 AM
gabbyjay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Volunteer Tester

I've been looking for an app that does exactly what you've envisioned! I signed up just to express my interest in helping you test your app. My intention would be to use your app for navigation while simultaneously using MyTracks to log my ride. Let me know if I can help. Thanks!
Old 10-12-12, 07:41 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In order to get the app out to more people that are interested in testing I thought I'd put the link up here: https://www.hostedredmine.com/attachments/download/32990/CueNav.apk.

The app is time limited mostly so people are forced to get updates to it. I'll update the app as needed to add more time to it.

If you try the app and get a crash, please install Log Collector from Google Play and run it immediately after a crash. It will then give you the option to email the log of the crash. Please send the crashes to iconicflux@gmail.com.

If you go into the settings menu there's now an option to save your RWGPS username and password. Doing so enables RWGPS integration with your account so that you can easily download your RWGPS routes. I just got that part working today but I think it's pretty solid. I'll probably get the RWGPS search functionality working sometime this weekend.

I'm very interested in hearing from people if the app is sensing turns and changing to the next turn. That's part of a algorithm that I'm trying to get right and since it works by sensing the number of meters a person is from a gps point I'll have to tweak it a bit to get it right.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by iconicflux; 10-15-12 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-14-12, 11:42 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those that want to tell me what you've seen that is wrong with the app...

I've set up an issue tracker at https://www.hostedredmine.com/projects/cuenav for the project. You can submit new tickets by going to https://www.hostedredmine.com/projects/cuenav/issues/new.

You'll have to register for an account but once you have one you can submit the tickets and I'll be able to mark them when they are fixed and it will help me update anyone using it as to what the latest version is.
Old 10-15-12, 02:05 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have updated the download link. The changes fix some voices pronouncing "Dr" as "Doctor" (and a few other small voice changes).

The new download link is at: https://www.hostedredmine.com/attachm...990/CueNav.apk
Old 10-17-12, 05:02 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New changes to CueNav at https://www.hostedredmine.com/projects/cuenav!

Many fixes and some new features such as the ability to delete files by doing a long click on the filenames!

Seems like some people are actually using it and giving me updates. As I said before, anyone that helps me test it will get it free forever.
Old 10-19-12, 09:29 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CueNav now supports RWGPS Search! You can give it a city, state, zip (or almost any combination thereof) and tell it how far out you want to search.

https://www.hostedredmine.com/attachm...ueNav-v.16.apk
Old 10-20-12, 12:03 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to build a sliding drawer that can pop out from the bottom of the screen. This drawer will allow me to instrument the gps functionality for live testing and I'll also be able to use it to slide in/out a cycle computer that shows current speed, bearing, distance traveled, distance to next turn, etc.

This leaves me wondering, what sort of things would y'all like to see on a cycle computer built into a phone / turn-by-turn navigation app?

Attached Images
Old 11-02-12, 06:00 AM
GeeM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
Really nice work, and just what I was looking for... I am interested in being a tester, too! I am not riding as much as it is getting colder here (excuses, excuses...) Also, I have a rooted MotoACTV, and curious if it would work on it. Hopefully, I will try it out this weekend. Thanks!