Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone already getting ready for the ice bike season 2010 yet ?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 11:56 PM
Bain19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started looking for a clunker bike today, kind of got myself excited to spend some money.
Old 07-31-10, 12:13 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Was actually hoping for frost... just to kill of the millions of mosquitoes we have here right now.
Old 07-31-10, 06:08 AM
IR Baboon

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My winter bike pulls duty as the family bike, errand runner, and backup commuter during the summer. All I have to do is slap on the studded tires, move the lights over to her and she's ready to go.

That said, when I'm sweating like crazy on my ride, I'm wishing for the snow. I can ride as hard as I want and still not sweat in the dead of winter here.
Old 07-31-10, 07:27 AM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I already talked to my LBS about bringing the bike in for a "winterization" in November. They're gonna drop the headset and BB to spray the inside of tubes with rustproofing. Other than than I just need to slap on the Schwalbe Marathon Winters that I used last year and wax her up. The bike already has an IGH, disc brakes, and belt drive; IMHO the ideal winter commuter. I just got my new fenders yesterday and I will be installing those soon.

Last edited by irclean; 07-31-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-31-10, 09:41 AM
crazzywolfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my winter bikes are always ready but i'm always keeping my eye open for a new winter frame on garbage day.
Old 07-31-10, 01:16 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My winter bike is my main, four-season bike. All I have to do is put on the snow tires, the wider fenders that fit them, and swap my 12-23 cassette for a 12-27.

I'm not sure my favorite tights will make it through the whole season, so I'll be shopping for new tights soon.

There's an outside chance I'll have another wheelset built to make tire/cassette changes easier. But that's an expensive proposition with the dynohub and all.

Meanwhile, I've been thoroughly enjoying the hot weather.
Old 07-31-10, 02:26 PM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking about purchasing or building some pogies before it's a pressing issue.
Old 07-31-10, 05:08 PM
Bain19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good to hear guys,

After last winter I let my old huffy rust away in the spring so I defiantly need a new ride. Im not gonna shell out more then $30 for a beater but I am definitely gonna get some good studded tires this year. Last year i bought the innova studded tires and the studs on the rear tire were ground almost flush to the surface of the rubber. FYI Steel studs are too soft for mixed roads of cement/snow/ice.
Old 07-31-10, 06:26 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am the happy recipient of a Nokian 106 (the rear had it's studs pounded into the tire carcass) and a set of lobster mitts for my July birthday. I have a MTB that is still wearing Nokian Extremes and the hybrid is just a tire change away from being ready to run in snow and ice. Let's just hope there is a lot of time to run slicks before having to switch to the heavy and slow studs.
Old 08-01-10, 06:18 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mid-summer is the time to look for clothing deals. I haven't found any this year. But last summer I picked up a pair of Sporthill XC pants at 40% off on Amazon. I did find a new brand this year that I may buy from. Mont Bell. Back in March I saw some Iditarod riders wearing their stuff. That's good enough for me.
This year I'm busy converting a Surly 1x1 I picked up on Ebay from a fixie to a multi-speed. Getting it ready for this winter season.

Last edited by scoatw; 12-09-10 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 02:19 PM
buffalo_cody

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started thinking about winter way back in spring when I found a super cheap, never built up Redline R530 frame on Ebay. I've spent the summer planning how I want to build it, and gathering components as funds allow. Hopefully I'll have some pics to show in a month or two.
Old 08-02-10, 03:17 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalo_cody
I started thinking about winter way back in spring when I found a super cheap, never built up Redline R530 frame on Ebay. I've spent the summer planning how I want to build it, and gathering components as funds allow. Hopefully I'll have some pics to show in a month or two.
For a reliable winter commuter you should build it as pictured in your link; IGH, chaincase, and fenders. Slap on some studs and you're ready for Old Man Winter. To take it a step further you could use internal (drum or roller) brakes, which are weather-proof (I don't see provisions for discs on that pic).
Old 08-03-10, 02:38 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
I already talked to my LBS about bringing the bike in for a "winterization" in November. They're gonna drop the headset and BB to spray the inside of tubes with rustproofing. Other than than I just need to slap on the Schwalbe Marathon Winters that I used last year and wax her up. The bike already has an IGH, disc brakes, and belt drive; IMHO the ideal winter commuter. I just got my new fenders yesterday and I will be installing those soon.
Oooooh, jealous! I agree - sounds like the perfect winter commuter. I'm really curious to see how these belt drive bikes work out over the winter. I expect good things, but there's nothing like experience to really make or break it.
Old 08-05-10, 06:38 AM
mudpuppy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Already replaced chain & freewheel on S-25 dept. store fs. Also cleaned & lubed BB. Next thing is to replace cables with Teflon coated stainless. I'm using Jagwire Ripcord DIY kits.
Old 08-09-10, 08:45 AM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been slowly getting mine ready. I love having a dedicated winter bike. I swapped out the handle bars and installed a new crankset for it. Now all I really have to do is throw on the studded tires and I'll be good to go. I want to get a good balaclava for this winter. Can anyone recommend one and the best place to purchase it?
Old 08-14-10, 12:50 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use these by Wickers. I have both of the Expedition and the mid-weight style. After searching around and seeing balaclavas for $20 to $40. And too thick to be comfortable. I found the Wickers at Sierra Trading Post. They are thin and warm. I ride all winter using these. If the temps drop below 0 degrees then I use both of them. But the expedition model keeps warm and comfortable from the teens' on up. The best part is they only cost $7.95. Buy a couple of them just to have around.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...and-Women.html
Old 08-15-10, 02:52 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I check this Forum about once a month during the summer. So far all I needed to do was get my winter jacket cleaned and a couple holes in pockets repaired. Sometime in December, I'll put on the Marathons. My winter bike is also my weatherbeater bike, and as a daily commuter, I haven't ridden it since June 28.
Old 10-20-10, 11:55 AM
Choccy
Commuter

Bikes: Handsome Dog Titanium (Work) Santa Cruz Superlight (Play) Kona Stinky (Real Play)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a pair of Schwalbe Ice Spikers coming tomorrow. Need something a bit better than the Snow Studs I've used for the last couple of winters. I had one day at the beginning of the year when I couldn't ride in so I'm changing that.

Choccy...
Old 10-20-10, 09:47 PM
Pwnt
( 8n(|) DOH!!

Bikes: Scattante R670

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm ready to rock n' roll. Come on snow!

I love noodles.
Old 10-20-10, 10:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I fenderized...ugh...my commuter road bike, my mountain bike and I've got fenders on order for my cruiser. I hate fenders

Lights are already on so I'm set. No studs for me. Haven't needed them in 30 years and I'm not expecting to need them now. Denver's winters aren't all that icy.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-21-10, 12:02 AM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking about purchasing or building some pogies before it's a pressing issue.
Me too. I'm going to have aerobars on my bike so I'm thinking that's going to make it easier to make pogies for road bars, since I can attach them there instead of to the handlebars. I was able to keep my hands warm last year with big mitts, but having no ability to use my hands for anything got annoying really fast.

I'm also thinking of trying to make some one sided shirts. In the warmer parts of the winter (before it gets really cold) I find I can't get a good balance of layers because my front gets so much colder than my back, so i was thinking of looking for (or making) some shirts that are thicker/wind blocking on the front, but thin/breathable on the back.
Old 10-21-10, 12:21 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Bring it...

I have a front studded tyre mounted up on it's own rim so I can swap it in when it is needed... have never really needed a rear studded tyre.
Old 10-24-10, 02:46 PM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I retired in July so now my "winter commuting" is to the coffee shop. Whole new set of concerns....get warm and a little moist biking then go inside for coffee....then after a while back outside. Gonna take some trial and error to get the clothing right. I had my winter bike ready in June....just to have it out of the way...;-)
Old 10-24-10, 02:49 PM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chalupa102
I've been slowly getting mine ready. I love having a dedicated winter bike. I swapped out the handle bars and installed a new crankset for it. Now all I really have to do is throw on the studded tires and I'll be good to go. I want to get a good balaclava for this winter. Can anyone recommend one and the best place to purchase it?
I picked a fleece one with fine mesh over the mouth area so I could breathe on the hills....picked it up at REI.