Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clydes - What are your opinions on Doctors?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-12-11, 07:18 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ask because I have known people who time and time again go to the docs with mild foot pain and finish up on rounds of surgery, PT and multiple visits - for years.

I am from Northern England and was brought up very working class, where you go to the docs to "get fixed" for something that is really hindering your life such as broken arm, SERIOUS disease, or any ailment that isnt going away by itself.

I "popped something" in my ankle last summer and was told by dozens of people to go see a doc - I didnt because it didnt hurt that much and I just went on light duties for a month and it healed itself - it was sore on the bike for awhile but now its fine. Meanwhile, a work-colleague of mine went to see a doc with a mild mystery wrist issue (he rides too). They couldnt find anything and after 6 months of "exploratory, possible fixes and PT" his arm is still in a cast and hes still in pain, possibly more - mainly from the super-expensive surgery they performed but found nothing concrete.

Are any of you clydes like me and just wait and see what happens or do you have a relationship with your doc? I dont understand the concept of having a "releationship" with my doctor - I dont want one - maybe its the brit in me
Old 02-12-11, 07:23 PM
GeorgeVW

Bikes: GT Karakoram K2, Sun AX3 USX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a great relationship with my doctor and with his advice and encouragement I've been able to drop 150 pounds in just a little over two years and get into better shape than I've ever been. No surgery, no 'procedures', just solid advice and encouragement. Oh, and the fear of a long, slow, painful decline from diabetic complications. That helps, too.
Old 02-12-11, 07:29 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you are the exact person who needs to see a doc - life saving visits

I'm talking about the people who make a hobby out of doctor visits - constantly "sick" and a doctor all too willing to play along.
Old 02-12-11, 07:49 PM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until I proved to him I was serious about controlling my diabetes thru weight-loss, exercise, and eating right he over prescribed medicine. Later he took me off stuff faster than I expected. So I guess he is a reasonable person.
Old 02-12-11, 08:18 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by magohn
Sounds like you are the exact person who needs to see a doc - life saving visits

I'm talking about the people who make a hobby out of doctor visits - constantly "sick" and a doctor all too willing to play along.
I don't like doctors. Or rather, I don't like most doctors. Ever since my childhood they've been telling me no.

In the past five years I've been told I:

- shouldn't hike. I've hiked up small mountains and gone as long as six miles.
- shouldn't ride long distances. I've done a century and long tours.
- shouldn't run. Well, two out of three isn't bad. :-)

Old 02-12-11, 08:20 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
I don't like doctors. Or rather, I don't like most doctors. Ever since my childhood they've been telling me no.

In the past five years I've been told I:

- shouldn't hike. I've hiked up small mountains and gone as long as six miles.
- shouldn't ride long distances. I've done a century and long tours.
- shouldn't run. Well, two out of three isn't bad. :-)
Old 02-12-11, 08:32 PM
vXhanz
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind Dr's, but I don't go out of my way to visit them either. I'll go if I get a deep wound, broken bone, or something that's serious... but minor stuff I tend to avoid them.

I think a lot of people self-diagnose things on WebMD, and then go to the Dr. looking for a wonder drug to take care of said self diagnosis. Conversely, there are a lot of people that have poor habits that expect Dr's to "fix" them after they have abused their bodies to the point of no return (i.e. drugs, alcohol, obesity, etc.)

The body has a wonderful way of self diagnosing and regulating itself if people would just exercise patience.
Old 02-12-11, 08:40 PM
JohnA42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doctors are people -- some are good, some bad.

I had a problem about six years ago where I had unexplained pain in my left shoulder. Serious pain. Painful enough that I went to the doctor. (Some of you may know from another thread where I talked about breaking my ankle and not going to the doctor for a month -- so you know the shoulder thing was painful.) I had an EKG, X-Rays, two MRIs, and a very painful (in part because the doctor was a nimrod) nerve conduction test. Nothing to explain the pain. Nothing, in fact, except some extremely mild tendinitis and bursitis. Eventually the pain went away, but no thanks to any doctors. My wife had an appt. with one of the doctors a few months later. He asked her about my shoulder and she told him that the pain was gone. His comment? "Really? Weird." So, yeah, my opinion of doctors is mixed.
Old 02-12-11, 08:49 PM
mdohertyjr

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7.2 FX, 2011 Cannadale Synapse Carbon 6c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting question for me. As 8 weeks ago, I would have said my doctor had found issues and had them fixed when others couldn't. I wouldn't call it a relationship, rather, he is good at his practice.

And then, LOL, he prescribed drugs that knocked me out and I broke my jaw. So, I am a bit sore at him right now, lol. My next appointment with him is in March, I figured two months after the fact I should be in a bit better mood.

Just because a doctor wants to do surgery doesn't mean you have to do surgery. My Doc has wanted me to go to the surgeon on my back for 8 years, and I refuse. We have gone through all other options. I will get surgery on my back when I can't walk, until that time, it is what it is..
Old 02-12-11, 08:53 PM
vXhanz
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnA42
His comment? "Really? Weird." So, yeah, my opinion of doctors is mixed.
Exactly! I remember hearing at one time (I don't know from where) that if you want to KNOW what is going on with you, go to a VET. They deal with patients who can't tell them what's wrong all the time and most, if not all animals come out alive and kicking. Go to a MD and you'll be the next guinea pig.
Old 02-12-11, 08:56 PM
mdohertyjr

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7.2 FX, 2011 Cannadale Synapse Carbon 6c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vXhanz
Exactly! I remember hearing at one time (I don't know from where) that if you want to KNOW what is going on with you, go to a VET. They deal with patients who can't tell them what's wrong all the time and most, if not all animals come out alive and kicking. Go to a MD and you'll be the next guinea pig.
Whats great about my doctor, he was straight up with me, he said, he is practicing medicine, and it's the experiences he has had practicing for 30 years that makes his "Guesses" more right then wrong.

Not many docs will admit that. The fact of the matter is, they are not future tellers, can't tell how you feel or magically fix an issue with a wand.

It must suck being a doctor. Seriously.
Old 02-12-11, 10:27 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ask because I have known people who time and time again go to the docs with mild foot pain and finish up on rounds of surgery, PT and multiple visits - for years.

I am from Northern England and was brought up very working class, where you go to the docs to "get fixed" for something that is really hindering your life such as broken arm, SERIOUS disease, or any ailment that isnt going away by itself.

I "popped something" in my ankle last summer and was told by dozens of people to go see a doc - I didnt because it didnt hurt that much and I just went on light duties for a month and it healed itself - it was sore on the bike for awhile but now its fine. Meanwhile, a work-colleague of mine went to see a doc with a mild mystery wrist issue (he rides too). They couldnt find anything and after 6 months of "exploratory, possible fixes and PT" his arm is still in a cast and hes still in pain, possibly more - mainly from the super-expensive surgery they performed but found nothing concrete.

Are any of you clydes like me and just wait and see what happens or do you have a relationship with your doc? I dont understand the concept of having a "releationship" with my doctor - I dont want one - maybe its the brit in me
If I am worried, I will go to the doctor and have it checked out, if I am am not feeling well, I usually wait a few days, if I still don't feel well, I'll book an appointment to get it checked out. I had a groin pain it went away and came back occasionally, but most of the time wasn't there. I mentioned it to my doc when I was in for the biennial checkup, he felt around and said he thought it was a hernia,
sent me to a hernia, he felt around a bit and said, "hernia", we can fix that right up. Had the surgery in April was back to work in July, he said be careful or you will blow out the other side. I left that job full of heavy lifting a few months later.
Old 02-12-11, 10:33 PM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
It all depends on the doctor. As a rule, I tend to avoid them because a) I've been fortunate, for the most part, and b) I know of family members that either 1) made it a hobby to go to doctors, or 2) chose their doctors based on the sole criteria of ease of getting Valium prescriptions.

I've had good and bad doctors. One good one (Indian woman with British overtones) told me to quit smoking, drinking, eating so damn much and start exercising before she'd consider prescribing meds for my insomnia. One bad one had me do an EKG because he thought he heard something in my heart. Apparently, all he heard was an extra $600 in my checking account. For that matter, I had to call him after two weeks of radio silence to get the results.

Now, I go to the walk-in clinic if I have a problem that won't go away (e.g. Bronchitis). If I could get the clinic to deal with broken limbs, I'd probably do away with my health insurance altogether.
Old 02-12-11, 10:35 PM
GeorgeVW

Bikes: GT Karakoram K2, Sun AX3 USX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, but when I went to the doctor and got diagnosed with diabetes, that was just a regular checkup, not because I thought something was seriously wrong. If I'd waited until something was seriously wrong, I'd probably be missing a limb, or dead, like a friend of mine who didn't go and died at the age of 40 from something that could have easily been diagnosed and treated.
Old 02-12-11, 10:40 PM
callmeclemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever since I was a 15 year old Varsity football player, and was told by a doctor to get metal plates isurgically placed in my body to continue to play, I havent liked them much. As of 9/7/2010 I am almost completely treated herbaly. I was born with Cardiomelagy(enlarged heart) So with that being said I do take a very small daily dose of hydrothoraclyazide to prevent me from having a stroke. My blood pressure Currently rests at about 130/70 which is good as far as my herbalist is concerend. I also get treated with deep pressure injections around every two months which I think helps.
Old 02-12-11, 11:28 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
It's tough making that call.

If I catch a cold and decide to stay home from work both to get some rest and to avoid infecting the rest of my office, the first question I'm asked is "Have you seen your doctor yet?". No - because docs can't prescribe any magic potions to fix cold viruses and they don't want me in their office infecting their other patients and staff. So I soldier up and report for duty, despite either being whacked on on cold meds or whacked out from not getting any sleep. Oh, and I'm salaried and generally log plenty of unpaid overtime each year. They can do without me on the rare occasion that I get sick; and I'd heal up faster too. I don't appreciate the implication that if I don't see a doc, then I'm not "trying" very hard to get to work.

On the other hand, I have gone to the doc for things that were just "weird". One was a sore foot that turned out to be a nasty MRSA infection (down to the bone in 3 places); another was a feeling like a garden-variety ear infection that turned out to be a very large brain tumor. Both could have been seriously life-altering or lethal had I ignored them and I was grateful to the doc that he took them seriously -- even if I didn't.

Last edited by nkfrench; 02-13-11 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-12-11, 11:31 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting replies - dont get me wrong, Im not saying NOT going to the doctors is good thing. I just feel today's society tends to visit the doctor as if there going to the library - its too easy. Any little thing and their on the phone.

I have friends who do exactly as described here. They have a headache and its not a headache its "probably" a sign of a brain aneurism and so the tests begin. A bad, moody day isn't a moody day - its depression or bipolar. Self diagnoized via WebMD

Of course, there are times when things are caught early - has to be - its the law of averages.

Personally, the last time I went to the docs (unscheduled - non general check up) was one spring day (2007) and I had just mowed our lawn - I got hit hard with allergies and was a little short of breath. As it went on for a few hours I visited the doc and he immediately diagnosed it as a re-occurrence of my childhood asthma - I had not had a case in 30+ yrs. He gave me an inhaler, sent me to an instructional course on asthma, arranged follow up visits and an insistence that I take the asthma medication everyday for life. I knew it was simple allergies - I knew what asthma felt like and this was not it. I used the meds for a week and then threw them in the garbage. Never had an instance since and that was 4 yrs ago.

Of course , YMMMV

Last edited by magohn; 02-12-11 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-12-11, 11:51 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I had a doctor in my teens and early 20s who was obsessed with me getting pregnant. Each appointment there was a discussion regarding the chances that I was pregnant -- I understood it was just avoiding some potentially horrible scenario but it got on my nerves. I think I was 15 when I replied to her "So, do you think you may be pregnant?" question with "Is immaculate conception still catchy?". She chuckled. But I still think she got a bonus whenever she could report a teen pregnancy or was part of some bizarre office pool. I was thrilled when we moved away and I needed to find a different doctor.
Old 02-13-11, 01:48 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Sorry, but waiting until your debilitated is a seriously bad idea.
Old 02-13-11, 10:09 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally don't like dealing with doctors. Both of my parents had health issues, and I was constantly visiting them in hospitals from a really early age. In my experience, they don't like being forced to explain themselves, or being questioned in general. Too many people defer to them, rather than forcing them to explain themselves clearly. One of my favorite statements to doctors is, "I have found that someone who is incapable of explaining themselves in plain English is either lying or too stupid/ignorant of their subject to understand it themselves. Either way they do not inspire trust, nor should they."

In my own case, I had severe chest pains in my early twenties. One day the pain was so bad, I passed out while chatting with a co-worker. My employer insisted I go see a doc. Thirty seconds after telling the doc I passed out because of a severe chest pain (which I described as a feeling like someone was blowing up a balloon in my chest), he tells me he wants me to get a $1000 MRI of my head because he thinks I might have a brain tumor...

Six months later and many further incidents, I finally have an emergency room doc (not the same doc) diagnose the problem as gallstones...
Old 02-13-11, 10:33 AM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclokitty
I think I was 15 when I replied to her "So, do you think you may be pregnant?" question with "Is immaculate conception still catchy?"
OK - points to cyclokitty for the best response yet, to stupid doctor questions. Alternate response: "Well, I don't always use the toilet seat cover..."

Originally Posted by myrridin
In my own case, I had severe chest pains in my early twenties. One day the pain was so bad, I passed out while chatting with a co-worker. My employer insisted I go see a doc. Thirty seconds after telling the doc I passed out because of a severe chest pain (which I described as a feeling like someone was blowing up a balloon in my chest), he tells me he wants me to get a $1000 MRI of my head because he thinks I might have a brain tumor...
So the doctors first response to chest pain was an MRI for the brain? Ye gods...
Old 02-13-11, 11:29 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think if you have an easily identifiable ailment, doctors (or medicine in general) are wonderful things. I think for less specific problems, particularly in the area of pain abatement and/or management, I think they're all fumbling around in the dark.
Old 02-13-11, 01:33 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RunningPirate
So the doctors first response to chest pain was an MRI for the brain? Ye gods...
Yeh... that was about my response. I asked him why he jumped to brain tumor rather than the more obvious heart attack. He said, "21 year olds do not have heart attacks..." Okay, so what makes you think it is a brain tumor? "You passed out..." Yes but that was because of the pain in my chest... "I'd like to rule out a tumor, before looking at less likely causes." ... So do you have a financial interest in this MRI machine that you want me to get this test on? "Uh...You have excellent medical insurance, there will not be any out of pocket expense. It will not cost you anything." Yeh, I thought so...
Old 02-13-11, 02:00 PM
EdmontonIrish

Bikes: Kona Dew FS 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like others have said, they're just people. Some will be better than others, you just have to find one that deals with you the way you want to be dealt with.

If anyone can think of any profession that deals with the public and has no "bad apples", I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-13-11, 02:21 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Sorry, but waiting until your debilitated is a seriously bad idea.
It's like only performing maintenance on your car when one of the idiot lights goes on. By that time, it's too late.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.