Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who Here Has Bonts?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who Here Has Bonts?

Old 04-23-12, 09:29 PM
abstractform20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who Here Has Bonts?

feedback?
Old 04-23-12, 10:32 PM
sideshow_bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long is a piece of string? I've got various A1's, Vapors, T1's and a pair of sub-8's. Umm they are good. What exactly were you looking to find out?
Old 04-23-12, 10:37 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sideshow_bob
How long is a piece of string? I've got various A1's, Vapors, T1's and a pair of sub-8's. Umm they are good. What exactly were you looking to find out?
well, feedback...you can expand upon it by discussing pros and cons, improvements vs X, durability, feel, sizing (accuracy), stiffness, venting, etc.

im going to order some, and im curious to others experiences.
Old 04-23-12, 10:41 PM
caphits

Bikes: 2006 DBR Podium 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He is saying your question is vague. Bont what?
Old 04-23-12, 10:43 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caphits
He is saying your question is vague. Bont what?
google Bont road cycling then see what shows up. thanks for clarifying/contributing.
Old 04-23-12, 10:58 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got some of the lower end road shoes. I've owned some Pearl Izumi road shoes in the past and some Sidi tri shoes as well.

The Bont uppers and lowers are stiff but they are comfortable. I liked them more after the second time of molding them to my foot. The sizing thing on their site worked well for me, I think my other shoes were 41.5/U.S.8.5 and the Bonts that fit me were 41/7.5. All my sneakers/other shoes are US 8-9. They fit slightly wider than the Sidi and Pearl's.

I still get some rubbing in the heel cup of the left shoe. I think I might try one more heat molding but I'm pretty happy with them.

One annoyance is that the sole is somewhat curved and so my shoe slightly rocks. I don't know how to fix that yet.
Old 04-23-12, 11:25 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Triguy
I've got some of the lower end road shoes. I've owned some Pearl Izumi road shoes in the past and some Sidi tri shoes as well.

The Bont uppers and lowers are stiff but they are comfortable. I liked them more after the second time of molding them to my foot. The sizing thing on their site worked well for me, I think my other shoes were 41.5/U.S.8.5 and the Bonts that fit me were 41/7.5. All my sneakers/other shoes are US 8-9. They fit slightly wider than the Sidi and Pearl's.

I still get some rubbing in the heel cup of the left shoe. I think I might try one more heat molding but I'm pretty happy with them.

One annoyance is that the sole is somewhat curved and so my shoe slightly rocks. I don't know how to fix that yet.
is venting an issue?
Old 04-23-12, 11:45 PM
NaOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Venting has not been an issue for me. I picked out a pair based on the size calculator on their site and the shoes came in matching my feet perfectly. I have the A-Twos. I also find that they're more comfortable SLIGHTlY loose so I don't overtighten the velcro straps. Otherwise, the soles are stiff as hell and feel great. They also look awesome if that matters.
Old 04-24-12, 12:07 AM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not noticed venting issues either but I've only had them since this past winter.
Old 04-24-12, 12:21 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
im planning on getting the a3 model, and if i like that, then upgrade down the road to the vaypors.

did you guys order online at buy in store?
Old 04-24-12, 06:50 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wide toe box. i have narrow feet, and the vaypor just doesn't fit me well. i rode them for maybe 100 miles, and that was it. now i am back to my old shimano's. the bonts are remarkably stiff, though.
Old 04-24-12, 07:35 AM
lechat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These caught my eye while window shopping:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bont-Cervelo...#ht_6099wt_935
Old 04-24-12, 07:49 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They didn't work for my feet. I tried two different sizes. The larger ones rubbed the skin on my achilles raw. The smaller ones cramped my second toe (which is longer than the first). This is likely because of the design of the front of the shoe.

I really wanted these shoes to work. The soles were very stiff and fit the bottom of my feet quite well. I have a history of problems with discomfort around the balls of my feet, especially the left foot, and had no issues with the Bonts.

They're worth a try, but as with all shoes, buy on line or from a shop that will allow you to return them after you've cleated them up and ridden for some hard miles.
Old 04-24-12, 07:55 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A2s. Wanted to love them, but the toe box was too wide and I couldn't get it tighter. Very Very stiff though. If you can try them on and they fit then buy em. Switched from the Bonts to Specialized S-Works. Forgot my shoes for a big event and bought a pair of Bontrager RXXXLs. Haven't worn anything but the Bontragers since. The S-Works BOA works well but doesn't allow for varying tension like you get with a three strap design.

I may throw the Bonts on sometime just to see how they feel again.
Old 04-24-12, 08:44 AM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm thinking about buying the Vaypors. Problem is I don't know what size to go with. Bont recently changed their online fit guide and now you enter your foot dimensions and it spits out a suggested size. Last year they had a chart where you look up your dimensions in the chart and you could see what size you fell under. Last year I would have been in a 45 wide. Now the fit guide is telling me 46 normal width. I definitely have a wide foot so I'm thinking I should go with a 45 wide, but now I'm hesitant because I don't want to pay for shipping twice and eat the return shipping on top of that if I have to return them.
Old 04-24-12, 08:58 AM
Mayday328

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I worked for a Bont dealer for a couple of years. IMO Bont's quality control is not up to snuff with some of the other high end cycling shoe makers. We had several pairs come back because they started to fall apart after light use.
Old 04-24-12, 11:50 AM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mayday328
I worked for a Bont dealer for a couple of years. IMO Bont's quality control is not up to snuff with some of the other high end cycling shoe makers. We had several pairs come back because they started to fall apart after light use.
I've heard this before, however, I've also heard that in the last 2 years or so they have made significant improvements in QC. The fit and finish of their new products is supposed to be pretty good.

Bont needs to start selling their product in more bike shops. I've only been in one bike shop (in Chicago) that stocked Bont shoes. This was a few years ago and I have not seen them in another store since then. I am willing to drop $400 on a pair of shoes, but cannot find a place to try them on first. Kind of sad..