Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Bicyclist hit and killed by Sheriff in Calabasas

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 12-08-13, 09:24 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...-in-calabasas/

I can't not have that "Hope that I didn't know him" feeling...

*excuse the misspell please

Last edited by alicestrong; 12-08-13 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 09:30 PM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Won't bring the rider back... but I hope the family sues the crap out of the sheriff dept., wins, and passes funds along to bicycle causes!

Also hope the officer does not get off with a "warning" or some b.s. light punishment.
Old 12-08-13, 09:43 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
I hope there was no cellphone use involved here. Many times I see them talking on their cellphones.
Old 12-08-13, 09:53 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I hope there was no cellphone use involved here. Many times I see them talking on their cellphones.
Same here. I hope the Sheriff's department doesn't just brush it off.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 12-08-13, 09:58 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
definitely should be looked into.. he needs to be treated like anyone else in this case.
Old 12-08-13, 10:03 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking that there may be some distracted driving issue involved, also...
Old 12-08-13, 10:05 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Probably gonna be " I didn't see him"

Old 12-08-13, 10:17 PM
Duane Behrens

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by look566 rider
Won't bring the rider back... but I hope the family sues the crap out of the sheriff dept., wins, and passes funds along to bicycle causes!

Also hope the officer does not get off with a "warning" or some b.s. light punishment.
Whenever you sue a public agency, you're actually suing the taxpayers who support that agency. The result: less money for infrastructure, more money for seedy, ambulance-chasing lawyers.

Sure; fire, arrest, sue, and do what you like with the officer involved. But DON'T give my tax money to the victim's lawyers.
Old 12-08-13, 10:19 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There was no mention in the linked article about which agency would be conducting the investigation. Is it not customary in such circumstances for an outside agency to conduct the investigation from the get-go to prevent loss of evidence or actual or the appearance of bias?
Old 12-08-13, 11:15 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking at Google street view it looks like it might be a case of poor traffic design. It looks like they tried to narrow a standard traffic lane to accommodate a "bike lane." From the linked video story the collision happened up at the median on the right side of the picture. IMO most cars are going to move right to avoid clipping that raised curb on the median. That means some are going to end up crossing the white line of the bike lane.

Last edited by Dunbar; 12-08-13 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 11:21 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Alice, please post updates if you get them - this is obviously a terrible event.

The cyclist was IN THE BIKE LANE!???

Ugh.
Old 12-09-13, 01:30 AM
Nikon Rep
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sad incident.

I have a lot of experience with LA County sheriffs and unfortunately I seriously doubt the public will ever get the real story.
Old 12-09-13, 01:50 AM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
According to the article, the victim was a "prominent entertainment attorney". That means his family has the means to sue and to keep after the matter until they reach whatever level is necessary to receive a satisfactory answer. If the LA county sheriff doesn't believe speed, drugs, or alcohol was a factor then what does that leave? Was he looking at his laptop or cellphone?
Old 12-09-13, 02:03 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Duane Behrens
Whenever you sue a public agency, you're actually suing the taxpayers who support that agency. The result: less money for infrastructure, more money for seedy, ambulance-chasing lawyers.

Sure; fire, arrest, sue, and do what you like with the officer involved. But DON'T give my tax money to the victim's lawyers.
Unfortunately, in our system, this is how it works. We, the people, elected the people who run these agencies, who in turn, appointed some idiots into positions they have no business in. Just look at some of the issues that has materialized while Lee Baca has been sheriff! And the electorate won't get rid of him, nor does he have the decency to resign/retire. So, the only way forward is to keep suing his office. And maybe the electorate will finally realize that Lee Baca is way over his head as sheriff and vote him out. For me, he has been an embarrassment as sheriff!

On another note, reading the comment that says drugs and alcohol were not believed to be issues in this accident makes me cringe. They should take and test blood samples from anyone involved in running another person down in broad daylight. Even if he/she is a cop.
Old 12-09-13, 02:21 AM
Nikon Rep
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
According to the article, the victim was a "prominent entertainment attorney". That means his family has the means to sue and to keep after the matter until they reach whatever level is necessary to receive a satisfactory answer. If the LA county sheriff doesn't believe speed, drugs, or alcohol was a factor then what does that leave? Was he looking at his laptop or cellphone?
The family will never get the truth. They will most likely get a settlement which will include a confidentiality agreement, no admission of guilt and no truth about the incident.
Old 12-09-13, 02:27 AM
Nikon Rep
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19

On another note, reading the comment that says drugs and alcohol were not believed to be issues in this accident makes me cringe. They should take and test blood samples from anyone involved in running another person down in broad daylight. Even if he/she is a cop.
haha. Did you read the article where it said the deputy wont even be interview until Monday ?

Are you familiar with how internal affairs "interviews" are conducted ? Read up on the union rules for deputies. He wont be interviewed. He will have a union lawyer give a one sentence statement. Then the sheriffs officer will start its REAL investigation. That will include digging up all dirt on the dead cyclist.

No other deputies will be interviewed. Union rules don't permit them to be interviewed until at least 72 hours after any incident. They have to be provided with all information gathered from the investigation and they can refuse to be interviewed.

From what I am reading online it appears the sheriffs smear machine is already out in force posting that the cyclist was weaving all over the road and creating unsafe conditions for other motorists.
Old 12-09-13, 06:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Rider was an attorney.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...-in-calabasas/

Old 12-09-13, 07:24 AM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And here's another part of the problem -- the way some of the media report incidents like this: Ventura County Star: Bicyclist Dies After Crashing Into Patrol Car [url]

In this typical piece of sloppy journalism, the editors don't even bother to figure out if that is a physical possibility.
Old 12-09-13, 07:31 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Chaco
And here's another part of the problem -- the way some of the media report incidents like this: Ventura County Star: Bicyclist Dies After Crashing Into Patrol Car [url]

In this typical piece of sloppy journalism, the editors don't even bother to figure out if that is a physical possibility.
ass backwards

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-09-13 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 07:53 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Victims lawyers should work for free?
Old 12-09-13, 10:47 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts

It's not sloppy journalism. It's the hand of the LEO PR machine at work. About 10 years ago, we had two East San Diego County Sheriff deputies who died when they drove off the road in separate incidents in the same month. Both died in the line of duty while chasing suspected drunken drivers..
Old 12-09-13, 11:03 AM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts

Yes, some of the funds may come from tax payer coffers, but gov't departments all have insurance to cover these incidents.
Old 12-09-13, 11:43 AM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Their local CBS affiliate was saying the cyclist died "after a collision between a cyclist and a patrol car" or some such as everyone was equally at fault and/or the cyclist felt invincible somehow and decided to challenge rather than get out of the way of the car. Time will tell but I'm not liking the looks of things so far.
Old 12-09-13, 12:17 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad you people aren't jumping to conclusions before the investigation.
Old 12-09-13, 12:20 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
I'm glad you people aren't jumping to conclusions before the investigation.
The investigation will be conducted by whom? Is the group in question more allied with covering their butts rather than the truth? Are biases against the victim? More then likely this will end with a slap on the wrist for the deputy and the facts of the case being obfuscated in a smoke screen of at least deceit.. at best untruths.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.