Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I wanted to say how much I am enjoying reading the information & ideas on this forum

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I wanted to say how much I am enjoying reading the information & ideas on this forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 10:16 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Back on the saddle again after many years of the saddle hanging upside down. Last year I had a good excuse that being renal failure, living with an indwelling catheter 24 x 7 for many months, plumbing surgery, recovery from plumbing surgery, being medically released finally to do what I want to do with no restrictions finally end of April. Than I was finally motivated to ride again.

Finally about a two month ago I got my 20 plus year old vintage Specialized Road Bike down from the hooks in the garage where it had been resting & collecting dust many years.

Honestly I had debated selling that bicycle & accessories a coupe of times in the last few years. But only because I really did not need the cash I let it sit collecting a lot of dust.

Next was finding the boxes on storage shelves where I had stored tubes, tires, lubricants, tools, extra new chains etc. First problem was all my stash of lubricants, greases, cleaners, degreasers were dried out. Thank goodness the rest of the stuff looked like the day the boxes were shelved many years ago.

First project tackled was cleaning, removing some surface rust, re-greasing an old gray colored Park Tool PCS-1 mechanics work stand so I could start the real work.

Now the real work started with a week working an hour here & there cleaning the bicycle up, polishing up the frame & fork, taking parts off, and more cleaning & lubrication to make it road ready again.

Another shock was going to a local bicycle shop finding out how things in the bicycle world had changed so drastically. Prices on everything I needed had sky rocked.

Where were the Italian lugged frames, where were the familiar brands, the employees look at me like a two headed monster when I asked for things that no longer were available locally like simple replacement gaskets, seals, & parts for a Zefel HP Husky Floor Pump, and my Zefel HP HP-X Frame Pump. Thank goodness they still make grease in tubes, Tri-Flow, and White Lightning brands I remember.

Now 11 speed cassettes are the normal, this is strange to a guy who thought 8 speed cassettes were just a passing fad, cut his Road Bike teeth on a 10 speed in the late 50’s with a 5 speed freewheel. Carbon fiber & space aged materials is now the new norm, steel & lugs are apparently history for the most part. Things have change so much its hard to handle.

Thank goodness Performance, Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist, Excell Sports are still around. Plus there is a new internet sites in the UK called Wiggle, and a couple of other sources I found U.S.A. thanks to this forum.

Biggest project was bring life back into an old leather seat, but I did occasionally over the years I put some leather conditioner on it because I know leather needs to be fed conditioner to prevent drying out so that was the saving grace. Old pair of bicycle shoes were stored in plastic bags many years ago, so a quick coat of polish on the leather, a little conditioner they looked almost new, and were still leather soft.

Everything in the end of the restoration looked good, almost new, I even remembered how to make minor adjustments to derailleurs, etc. Use to do much of my own wrenching back in the old days. Learn to do this stuff from a call Performance use to teach bi weekly.

Finally did a test ride around the block, everything worked perfectly, remembered how to clip in to & out with out my my Shimano Delta Cleat Peddles with a little practice. Next was a first short ride of twenty miles, made it home safe with out any incidents.

So far I have logged about 230 miles total last three weeks but soon hope to be able to get back to doing 40-50 miles at a pop in the early morning hours 3 days a week before the temperatures hits 100 degrees for the day.

Guess my biggest shock was going to Wally World last week, and by pure accident passing where they sell bicycles & accessories. Shocked to see Wally World sell White Lightning, Zefel, Bell, and some other items I thought I would never see in Wal-Mart store.

BTW I very happy I resisted the urges many times to put my bicycle, park stand, and accessories up for sale. Don’t think I could have ever replaced because of today's inflated prices.

Actually started searching for another road frame, steel & lugs of course to build up, than sell off the antique, or part it out as apparently some of the old shamino parts bring good dollar on the resale market.
Old 06-28-15, 05:51 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Welcome back to cycling...enjoy! (although it sounds like you already are).
Old 06-28-15, 07:39 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I resemble all of your remarks, TMS. 'Cept I also bought a new bike after rebuilding my aging/ancient Fuji.
Old 06-28-15, 09:38 PM
Tbobx

Location: Lakewood Ranch FL, Occassionally Woods Hole MA and East Marion NY

Bikes: Seven AxiomS Road, Colnago Master Saronni Del Tongo, Trek 1.5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Now put the Strava app on your smart phone or buy a GPS Bike computer that uploads to Strava. It's great to keep track of your mileage and your improving fitness.
Old 07-01-15, 05:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by TheManShow
Back on the saddle again after many years of the saddle hanging upside down. Last year I had a good excuse that being renal failure, living with an indwelling catheter 24 x 7 for many months, plumbing surgery, recovery from plumbing surgery, being medically released finally to do what I want to do with no restrictions finally end of April. Than I was finally motivated to ride again.

Finally about a two month ago I got my 20 plus year old vintage Specialized Road Bike down from the hooks in the garage where it had been resting & collecting dust many years.

Honestly I had debated selling that bicycle & accessories a coupe of times in the last few years. But only because I really did not need the cash I let it sit collecting a lot of dust.

Next was finding the boxes on storage shelves where I had stored tubes, tires, lubricants, tools, extra new chains etc. First problem was all my stash of lubricants, greases, cleaners, degreasers were dried out. Thank goodness the rest of the stuff looked like the day the boxes were shelved many years ago.

First project tackled was cleaning, removing some surface rust, re-greasing an old gray colored Park Tool PCS-1 mechanics work stand so I could start the real work.

Now the real work started with a week working an hour here & there cleaning the bicycle up, polishing up the frame & fork, taking parts off, and more cleaning & lubrication to make it road ready again.

Another shock was going to a local bicycle shop finding out how things in the bicycle world had changed so drastically. Prices on everything I needed had sky rocked.

Where were the Italian lugged frames, where were the familiar brands, the employees look at me like a two headed monster when I asked for things that no longer were available locally like simple replacement gaskets, seals, & parts for a Zefel HP Husky Floor Pump, and my Zefel HP HP-X Frame Pump. Thank goodness they still make grease in tubes, Tri-Flow, and White Lightning brands I remember.

Now 11 speed cassettes are the normal, this is strange to a guy who thought 8 speed cassettes were just a passing fad, cut his Road Bike teeth on a 10 speed in the late 50’s with a 5 speed freewheel. Carbon fiber & space aged materials is now the new norm, steel & lugs are apparently history for the most part. Things have change so much its hard to handle.

Thank goodness Performance, Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist, Excell Sports are still around. Plus there is a new internet sites in the UK called Wiggle, and a couple of other sources I found U.S.A. thanks to this forum.

Biggest project was bring life back into an old leather seat, but I did occasionally over the years I put some leather conditioner on it because I know leather needs to be fed conditioner to prevent drying out so that was the saving grace. Old pair of bicycle shoes were stored in plastic bags many years ago, so a quick coat of polish on the leather, a little conditioner they looked almost new, and were still leather soft.

Everything in the end of the restoration looked good, almost new, I even remembered how to make minor adjustments to derailleurs, etc. Use to do much of my own wrenching back in the old days. Learn to do this stuff from a call Performance use to teach bi weekly.

Finally did a test ride around the block, everything worked perfectly, remembered how to clip in to & out with out my my Shimano Delta Cleat Peddles with a little practice. Next was a first short ride of twenty miles, made it home safe with out any incidents.

So far I have logged about 230 miles total last three weeks but soon hope to be able to get back to doing 40-50 miles at a pop in the early morning hours 3 days a week before the temperatures hits 100 degrees for the day.

Guess my biggest shock was going to Wally World last week, and by pure accident passing where they sell bicycles & accessories. Shocked to see Wally World sell White Lightning, Zefel, Bell, and some other items I thought I would never see in Wal-Mart store.

BTW I very happy I resisted the urges many times to put my bicycle, park stand, and accessories up for sale. Don’t think I could have ever replaced because of today's inflated prices.

Actually started searching for another road frame, steel & lugs of course to build up, than sell off the antique, or part it out as apparently some of the old shamino parts bring good dollar on the resale market.
A complete fabrication. No veracity. Self inconsistencies. Bogus.
Old 07-01-15, 07:24 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Give it some time, you'll get over it...
Old 07-01-15, 07:49 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found 70% of the content in this forum is pure waste, maybe more I don't know that is just a rough estimate. There are some good discussion though.
Old 07-01-15, 07:57 AM
bovine

Bikes: Yuba Mundo 4.3, 2007 Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The troll hunter becomes the troll. Man, what is with your hard on for purported trolls? Just use the ignore function.
Old 07-01-15, 08:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Back on the saddle again after many years of the saddle hanging upside down. Last year I had a good excuse that being renal failure, living with an indwelling catheter 24 x 7 for many months, plumbing surgery, recovery from plumbing surgery, being medically released finally to do what I want to do with no restrictions finally end of April. Than I was finally motivated to ride again….
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Welcome back to cycling...enjoy! (although it sounds like you already are).

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Give it some time, you'll get over it...

Originally Posted by TroN0074
I found 70% of the content in this forum is pure waste, maybe more I don't know that is just a rough estimate. There are some good discussion though.
Interesting range of responses to the OP….from sincere agreement, to snarky, to tongue-in-cheek, to grudging acknowledgement.

In a recent post started by TheManShow to the Fifty-Plus thread, ”Thing 50+ Year older never had to do why you were young”, he engaged in this exchange:

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Plan my trip around potential bathroom stops.

Now days I try to make sure I have water and bathroom stops every 15 miles or so. I may not need the stop but it's there just in case.

Sounds like your prostate is runining your life, maybe it is time to explore a T.U.R.P.
Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) - Mayo Clinic
I thought that was a pretty drastic response to a usual function of aging; now I better understand, FWIW.

Anyways, I was prompted to read this current thread, because I’m an avid reader of Bike Forums and I have in the past posted the benefits I have received:

Originally Posted by gerv
I often recall how BF played such a vital part in getting me out on the street and in better health....

What about you? What role did BF play in getting you out on two wheels?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride…. I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:
  • the motivation and tips to ride in rain, and wintry roads, i.e. studded tires
  • the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the safety tip to watch the front wheels of a car rather than the body or hood to anticipate what the driver is going to do
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
So thanks for the opportunity, gerv.
Old 07-01-15, 10:40 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Interesting range of responses to the OP….from sincere agreement, to snarky, to tongue-in-cheek, to grudging acknowledgement.
I am glad he find the forum informative and good over all. And I do too, but man there are some threads that I really don't know what to think, like people asking what kind of underwear to wear when riding their bikes, or that bike stand thread, lol.

but anyway yeah, Welcome to the Forums TheMAnShow.
Old 07-01-15, 11:44 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really enjoy this forum as well. I learned a lot on here and got a lot of ideas from all of you. I sought advice on which commuter bike to buy. I looked around for headlight advice and when to use them. I tried winter commuting but decided that I am not ready for it.

Sometimes the posts are very entertaining. One that sticks out for me is a rider that would change from riding to work clothes in his cubicle, and then hang his clothes in the cube to dry out. Whoa!

I am 42 but I like to read the 50+ section once in a while. It's very motivational for me to see that this hobby can be used to keep us spry and healthy well into our 80's if we keep at it. Some of the folks on there like are nearly double my age and do many more miles than I do!
Old 07-01-15, 12:05 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tbobx
Now put the Strava app on your smart phone or buy a GPS Bike computer that uploads to Strava. It's great to keep track of your mileage and your improving fitness.

Thiis stuff is way beyond my scope of comprehension, I am old school, and honestly can not see myself gettikkng into all this technology.

When I had my business I refused to get a cell phone,. I rented a BEEPER for $12.00/month. Clients asked when you getting a cell phone, I replied never, beep work, and I alway call you back fast right. That was in the days when there were pay phones every where.