Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

All City Cosmic Stallion

Old 08-03-17, 03:23 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Was going to LOL WUT about the Kid Rock reference too, after so many people got there first I'll just move along...

Originally Posted by tyrion
I like the design but I do question house brand tubing. It might be fine and everything as advertised but until it's been tested in the real world it doesn't justify any kind of premium in my thinking.
They used the ACE tubing on the Log Lady MTB that came out last year. From the little I've seen, people seem to dig that bike. Can't comment specifically about the tubing.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I like it. In fact, I placed an order for one today. Size 58 complete bike. Should be here in a week or so. UPS hasn't posted a delivery date yet.
I'll keep an eye out. I'm clearly biased since I have an All City bike already, but I'm looking forward to checking one out once my LBS gets one.
Old 08-03-17, 04:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You're concerned what other people may think because you would be riding a bike from a company who's advertising you don't like??

I never said I was concerned. Concerned is your word, not mine.

I said I've no interest.

Having no interest is not the same as being concerned.

-Tim-
Old 08-03-17, 05:39 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I never said I was concerned. Concerned is your word, not mine.

I said I've no interest.

Having no interest is not the same as being concerned.

-Tim-
You said, quote:

I've no interest in being seen as a Kid Rock wannabe within my local local cycling community.
That means you want to portray a certian image among other people with what kind of bike you ride. Otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned your cycling community. The kind of advertising All City uses does not fit the image you want to portray. So it is a concern of yours. Now if someone is worried about what others think cool I guess. But thinking that the advertising a bike company uses would tarnish that image is kind of odd.
Old 08-03-17, 09:53 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I never thought I'd see image consciousness being such a topic in a thread about a new bike for riding on dirt roads.

I've seen the hashtag #partybrand associated with All-City, but I've not seen a lot of content to explain what that even means. I get the impression that All-City has something of an urban hipster/bike messenger vibe and as a 61 y/o from a small town in Georgia, that's not my scene. But a lot of the young people from Atlanta I've met through gravel riding are kind of in that mold and they are some fine folks who love good bikes and good rides. I sure don't see where a redneck southern rocker/pseudo punk who ripped off the riff from Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London like Kid Rock fits into that picture.

My first awareness of All-City came with the introduction of the Space Horse which seemed like a kindred spirit to the Black Mountain Monster Cross that I was riding at the time. I've watched with interest as they've added more premium offerings like the Reynolds 853 Macho King. I recently built up a canti-braked Space Horse for a friend/customer's wife and was very impressed. I joined them for her first gravel ride on the bike and she loved it and has become a frequent gravel rider.

I decided to buy the Cosmic Stallion based on its pedigree, geometry, materials and spec. I could really give a rat's ass about how someone might choose to react to the company's marketing campaign or perceived image.

My bike is scheduled to arrive at the shop on Monday, and I expect I'll be putting it together that afternoon. I can't wait to ride it.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 08-03-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 10:17 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Do you know if the geo is similar to the Space Horse.

Space Horse was one of the three finalists for my current bike (other two were Twin Six Standard Rando and the Soma Fog Cutter - I went with the Soma)

I might have sprung extra for this frame if it shares the Space Horse geo and still had rear rack mounts.
The name Cosmic Stallion is an obvious evolution of Space Horse. The geometry is not an exact match, but is pretty similar. The CS does have rear rack mounts. The specs and geometry of all their bikes is posted on the All-City website.
Old 08-04-17, 09:11 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Do we know how much the stock build weighs yet?
Old 08-04-17, 11:34 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

I decided to buy the Cosmic Stallion based on its pedigree, geometry, materials and spec. I could really give a rat's ass about how someone might choose to react to the company's marketing campaign or perceived image.

My bike is scheduled to arrive at the shop on Monday, and I expect I'll be putting it together that afternoon. I can't wait to ride it.
I'm also in my 60s and don't care who the target market is for this bike brand. This particular bike has peaked my interest also. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when it arrives.

Keep us posted...
Old 08-04-17, 12:35 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I'm also in my 60s and don't care who the target market is for this bike brand. This particular bike has peaked my interest also. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when it arrives.

Keep us posted...
What has piqued your interest? I'm genuinely curious because I don't see it. I mean it's basically just like every other steel gravel bike I've seen.. what am I missing?
Old 08-04-17, 12:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
What has piqued your interest? I'm genuinely curious because I don't see it. I mean it's basically just like every other steel gravel bike I've seen.. what am I missing?
It's the hipster image branding that sets it apart.
Old 08-04-17, 12:42 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by tyrion
It's the hipster image branding that sets it apart.
Which is ironic considering QBP is anything but unique..
Old 08-04-17, 01:05 PM
shoota 

I'm way more interested in the Breezer Inversion. $2200, Ultegra Hydro, clearance for 40c tires, 20lbs. I could easily get that under 20lbs.

https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/de...inversion-team
Old 08-04-17, 01:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I'm way more interested in the Breezer Inversion. $2200, Ultegra Hydro, clearance for 40c tires, 20lbs. I could easily get that under 20lbs.

Breezer Bikes - Inversion Team - Bike Overview
Interesting bike. I dont say funky geometry often, but if you found the Blue brand bike to have wonky geometry, this Breezer is what I see as funky too.

your bikes
2014 Cannondale SuperSix - 73* HTA, 558mm stack, 395mm reach, 975mm wheelbase, 405 chainstays
2017 Raleigh Tamland - 71.5* HTA, 581mm stack, 383mm reach, 1043mm wheelbase, 440mm chainstays

Small Breezer- 71.5HTA, 553mm stack, 380mm reach, 1007mm wheelbase, 430mm chainstay
Medium Breezer- 72HTA, 566mm stack, 384mm reach, 1017mm wheelbase, 430mm chainstay
Large Breezer- 72HTA, 590mm stack, 387mm reach, 1023mm wheelbase, 430mm chainstay

What size do you think you would ride based on the geometry? The medium cuts pretty solidly right between your Cdale and Raleigh and you were looking for something thats a mix of those two bikes. Could be a really great option for you.

As for the wonkyness-
- the smallest 3 frame sizes have 5-8cm more stack height than seattube length. Then the largest has only 3.6cm more stack height.
- the reach difference between a 51cm Medium frame and a 60cm XXL frame is only 1cm. 1 cm difference of reach though its 3 sizes larger.
Old 08-04-17, 01:44 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Interesting bike. I dont say funky geometry often, but if you found the Blue brand bike to have wonky geometry, this Breezer is what I see as funky too.

your bikes
2014 Cannondale SuperSix - 73* HTA, 558mm stack, 395mm reach, 975mm wheelbase, 405 chainstays
2017 Raleigh Tamland - 71.5* HTA, 581mm stack, 383mm reach, 1043mm wheelbase, 440mm chainstays

Small Breezer- 71.5HTA, 553mm stack, 380mm reach, 1007mm wheelbase, 430mm chainstay
Medium Breezer- 72HTA, 566mm stack, 384mm reach, 1017mm wheelbase, 430mm chainstay
Large Breezer- 72HTA, 590mm stack, 387mm reach, 1023mm wheelbase, 430mm chainstay

What size do you think you would ride based on the geometry? The medium cuts pretty solidly right between your Cdale and Raleigh and you were looking for something thats a mix of those two bikes. Could be a really great option for you.

As for the wonkyness-
- the smallest 3 frame sizes have 5-8cm more stack height than seattube length. Then the largest has only 3.6cm more stack height.
- the reach difference between a 51cm Medium frame and a 60cm XXL frame is only 1cm. 1 cm difference of reach though its 3 sizes larger.
It's so dang wonky I'm questioning whether the measurements are even correct. Their recommendation would put me on a Large but if there is significant steerer I could see the Medium working.

edit: Apparently Sheel's in Des Moines carries them, wanna go check it out?

Last edited by shoota; 08-04-17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 06:38 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Breezer Bikes - Inversion Team - Bike Overview
That looks like a nice bike and a good value. My shop doesn't carry that brand, so it's out of the running for me, but I can see why it would appeal to someone. Is Joe Breeze still involved with the Breezer brand? I think he sold it in 2008.
Old 08-04-17, 06:51 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Do we know how much the stock build weighs yet?
Sometime Monday afternoon I'll know what one sample of a size 58 weighs. I'll weigh it stock before I start making my substitutions. I'm not obsessed with weight, but I am expecting a significant reduction from the AWOL that is my current gravel bike.
Old 08-04-17, 06:55 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Ride impression from Red Kite Prayer.
Old 08-04-17, 11:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
edit: Apparently Sheel's in Des Moines carries them, wanna go check it out?
Huh, whoda thunk. Im heading out to west central colorado tomorrow- gonna do some gravel/BLM road riding and mountain biking...with family time somehow fit in too, of course.
But when im back next weekend i would check the bike out for sure. Interesting what that store has and doesnt have since they stradle the line between general big box sporting goods and specialty sporting goods. They have really solid bikes...but then terrible shoe selection or awful tire selection since they emphasize cycling, but only seasonally. Its like a half in half out sorta dance.
Old 08-05-17, 07:12 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Huh, whoda thunk. Im heading out to west central colorado tomorrow- gonna do some gravel/BLM road riding and mountain biking...with family time somehow fit in too, of course.
But when im back next weekend i would check the bike out for sure. Interesting what that store has and doesnt have since they stradle the line between general big box sporting goods and specialty sporting goods. They have really solid bikes...but then terrible shoe selection or awful tire selection since they emphasize cycling, but only seasonally. Its like a half in half out sorta dance.
Oh man I’m jealous.
Old 08-07-17, 12:33 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
The name Cosmic Stallion is an obvious evolution of Space Horse. The geometry is not an exact match, but is pretty similar. The CS does have rear rack mounts. The specs and geometry of all their bikes is posted on the All-City website.
Looking forward to your review and stock weight. I have no issue with the AC branding..or reputation, whatever, lol. I bought a SH cause I liked the bike, and I like working with my LBS that builds up a fair amount of AC bikes...it has worked quite well as a comfortable all-arounder/tour bike. In my quest for N+many, I would like to have a lighter frame/carbon fork, maybe disc brake bike with endurance geometry. I hadn't thought my SH technically was endurance geo, but with the steerer uncut, that type of fit was achieved. I thought glancing over the geo for the CS, that it would fit very similarly to the SH, ie, I'd need to make sure the steerer remained uncut to achieve the upright position I'd likely want for it.
Old 08-07-17, 01:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
For me it is the geometry. Not only the handling numbers (HA, CS, BB drop), but more importantly the stack and reach (which is what rules so many other good bikes out for my weird fit needs).

I was very interested in the Space Horse for this reason (size 49 cm), and looking at the geo chart, it looks like the Stallion is identical in geo.
Old 08-07-17, 01:44 PM
shoota 

For me it is the geometry. Not only the handling numbers (HA, CS, BB drop), but more importantly the stack and reach (which is what rules so many other good bikes out for my weird fit needs).

I was very interested in the Space Horse for this reason (size 49 cm), and looking at the geo chart, it looks like the Stallion is identical in geo.
Yeah the geo does look pretty good. Slightly more aggressive angles than the norm. I doubt that's why everyone is losing their **** over this bike though..
Old 08-07-17, 02:13 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah the geo does look pretty good. Slightly more aggressive angles than the norm. I doubt that's why everyone is losing their **** over this bike though..
Well, the Space Horse has been a well-known and well-reviewed frame for quite a while now (first non-disc, then disc). While not the first, it was certainly one of the earlier players in its flavor of "do-it-all" niche. So I don't think it is that surprising that an allegedly higher end version of it would pique people's interest.
Old 08-07-17, 02:25 PM
shoota 

Well, the Space Horse has been a well-known and well-reviewed frame for quite a while now (first non-disc, then disc). While not the first, it was certainly one of the earlier players in its flavor of "do-it-all" niche. So I don't think it is that surprising that an allegedly higher end version of it would pique people's interest.
Touché. I'll admit I'm not totally familiar with the SH.
Old 08-08-17, 08:17 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Last year I bought a Macho Man Disc frame on ebay to replace a crashed bike. I wanted to use as much parts from the crashed bike as I could, so I was searching for something with QR and post/ISO brake mounts, and not a lot of money.
I didn't know too much about All City at the time, but I still get a lot of comments from people who look like, well, other bikers. The bike rides really well, and it still impresses me how smooth it is when I transition to gravel. It's not high end steel, but it's comfortable and I'm only marginally slower than on my old aluminum bike. It's also the heaviest road bike I've ever owned, and I no longer obsess over weight like I used to.

Based on my experience, I'm also intrigued by the Cosmic Stallion, and can only imagine it rides better than my boat anchor. The only thing I wish the Cosmic Stallion had was flat mount brakes, but only because that looks to be the new "standard" for disc brake mounts.
Old 08-08-17, 09:28 AM
Texico

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seriously looked at the Macho Man Disc a couple years ago when I needed a new all-round and commuting bike. I didn't end up with one because of the aggressive head tube length/stack, but now I'm starting to look for a more dedicated gravel bike to drop some weight from my Tamland. The Cosmic Stallion will definitely be on my short list of considerations, along with the Gunnar Hyper-XX since I like my Roadie so much.

As for the brake mounts, I think it makes sense that they went with post for the frame/fork. It allows people to use brakes that they already own when building up a frame, but still allows for the new flat mount standard. The way I understand it, flat mount brakes can be adapted to post mount frames/forks, but post mount brakes cannot be adapted to work with flat mount frames/forks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.