Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Seeking best ebike for commuting

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Seeking best ebike for commuting

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 07:53 PM
scarleton

Bikes: Lynsky R240 w/ Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Seeking best ebike for commuting

I am looking for an alternative mode of transportation to and from work. I work about 30 miles from home. I plan to make the ride home a nice training ride. The problem is I don't want to get to the office all sweaty in the morning. So I am seeking an ebike that will work for me. So I am looking for:
  1. an ebike I can turn off the e-part and get a good workout
  2. low maintenance
  3. easy for a local shop to work on when there is maintenance
I am leaning towards either the Trek Super Commuter+ BS or the CrosRip+. The reasons are Trek is a big name so I assume they will be reliable and if there are issues, I can take it back to the Trek dealer in town to get it worked on. The dealer I am thinking of doesn't have any ebikes that I know of, but he is a good guy and a long time Trek dealer, so I figure he will get any and all the assistance he needs from Trek. What are some other options I should consider?

Last edited by scarleton; 06-11-18 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 08:38 PM
Angelavs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If i had the money, i'll get the "super 73"
Old 06-12-18, 12:28 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Between those two models, I'd go with the CrossRip for the better riding position and ergonomics during those "motor off" periods. But who are you purchasing the bike from? Is your local Trek dealer Bosch Certified (or whatever Trek requires their ebike dealers to be)? I'd only be willing to purchase from a store that was setup to assist with all aspects of after service support. Any Trek shop can fix a brake issue, but ebikes require different equipment and support networks.
Old 06-12-18, 01:00 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scarleton
....The reasons are Trek is a big name so I assume they will be reliable...
After the wannabe eBike brands disappear, it's a good bet that Trek will still be here. As well, the company doesn't put a bike in the line until it has been thoroughly tested.

With the push of a handlebar button I can turn off the power on my Shimano Steps Trek whenever the boost isn't needed, which I frequently do. I think their Bosch powered bikes work the same way.

Beyond charging the battery , the only mechanical maintenance required is keeping the chain lubed and replacing the brake pads occasionally.
Old 06-12-18, 08:24 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
You reside in a metropolitan area and it would seem as though there's an e-Trek dealer. Purchase the model that you like the best since (AIR) Trek uses several platforms. I've tested a couple of their e-commuters and they were great bikes. You might consider the one with the biggest battery to insure you can get to work with minimal pedaling.
Old 06-12-18, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Specialized Vado, Raleigh Redux, Gazelle CityZen...Also Bulls makes some great products as well (but they have a ton of options so you might have to look and see which fits best with you). I haven't ridden the Trek Super Commuter but it looked decent enough. Generally when you see a Bosch or a Brose motor you find a quality product. Plus Bosch tends to have motors you really don't need to do much with as far as service and warranty.
Old 09-24-18, 03:52 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I just test rode the 2019 Trek CrossRip+ a few days ago, for the purpose of getting it for my wife so that it will bridge the power gap between us, especially going up steep hills. I may also use it once in a while to commute when I want to give my knees a rest after a weekend of hammering. In "Turbo" mode (the highest of the 4 assist settings) this thing is a rocket ship that will get any commuter to work on-time, and without being drenched in sweat from hills, or a serious headwind.
Old 09-26-18, 08:41 AM
Tino Tino

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30 mile is too far for ebike cmmute IMO. People on the bike pane won't get used to your silent rocket ebike. Get a motorcycle.

Unless your commute path doesn't interact with other cyclists.
Old 09-26-18, 01:11 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"People on the bike pane won't get used to your silent rocket ebike. "

Bulldinkies. Observe the speed (posted is probably 15mph; folks on road bikes (around here at least) typically do 20 on the MUPs). When there's pedestrians or horses, go slower. Indeed, the "Class 1" pedlecs won't be boosted past 20mph which puts you right in the range of the serious riders (admittedly, faster than casual riders...be kind ;>). 99% of the people I run across in my daily commute are fine. Every once in a while I'll run across some pedestrian(s), often wearing headsets, walking in the middle of the path, who object to "on your right" or expected me to be louder. Or someone on a bike I choose *not* to pass who objects to my being behind them.

As for the regular poster, as far as I know *all* ebikes *can* be ridden with the motor off. However, some are much more comfortable that way than others. Test ride what your local shops have, often you may end up with something other than you expected (3+ years back, I studied all the reviews, picked a couple of candidates, came out with a Stromer instead. A few weeks back, my wife replaced her Pedego ... she was sure she wanted a Specialized Vado. She left the shop with a Haibike (and she loves it). Her Haibike rides pretty well unpowered. The Stromer feels like a boat without power. But bottom line, neither of us ended up with the bike we intended before shopping. Ride 'em, and go with what feels right for you.

Do invest in a second charger, even if you don't plan on much boost on the way home, don't kill your pack. Charge at work.

The mid-drive (Bosch, Shimano, etc.) are quite nice. The rear hub of the Stromer does offer the nice feature of regenerative braking ... not that adds a lot of range, but when riding with my youngest, I sometimes enable the braking and turn flat and downhills into modest up-hills to keep life interesting.