Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

SKS Beavertail Fenders?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

SKS Beavertail Fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 05:50 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
SKS Beavertail Fenders?

I've started putting together (rolled out the dents and scraped and primered the rust) a single speed mountain bike with studded tires. Its a a '90's vintage DiamondBack, and the tires are studded marathons. The bike is just going to be used for bombing around on the marginally maintained roads to get some exercise. Most of my bikes have sks or planet bike full coverage fenders, but I'm wondering if SKS Beaver tails would be sufficient for this rig or should I just spend the extra cash for "real" fenders? I expect to see a fair amount of salty slush, which is why I'm going with a single speed this year.
Old 12-12-18, 02:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
fwiw - weighing that decision for myself, always leads to regular fenders
Old 12-12-18, 02:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A link to help you make up your own mind ... https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...tail-xl-set-2/

I too have regular Permanent Strut stabilized mudguards ..
Old 12-14-18, 06:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've started putting together (rolled out the dents and scraped and primered the rust) a single speed mountain bike with studded tires. Its a a '90's vintage DiamondBack, and the tires are studded marathons. The bike is just going to be used for bombing around on the marginally maintained roads to get some exercise. Most of my bikes have sks or planet bike full coverage fenders, but I'm wondering if SKS Beaver tails would be sufficient for this rig or should I just spend the extra cash for "real" fenders? I expect to see a fair amount of salty slush, which is why I'm going with a single speed this year.
I’ve had issues with close fitting fenders and snow in the past. Snow packed into fenders will make the going slow or the going no, depending on how much snow is packed in the fenders. My winter bikes have fenders that have no stays and plent of room around the fenders so that snow doesn’t pack into it.

The fender not the Moots below uses a Beaver Tail for the bottom section at the chain stay. The Moots is also the bike that I use studded tires on when I need them so it needs even more clearance.

IMG_2203 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

On the Dean below, I actually had a braze-on added for the fender at the mid point on the seat tube. I also added a water bottle mount below the down tube so that I could mount the Gut Guard on it.

DSCN0635 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Here’s a close up of how the fenders are pieced together

DSCN0372 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!