Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The other side of large dogs.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 08:55 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

Dog owners can be a deluded bunch. There are a great many things they don't realize. Like what it feels like to have their loving 100 lb fuzzball charge and slam into you on your bike at 20 mph, then make a bloody meal out of your leg. As happened to me just yesterday with this dog, photographed an instant before he attacked and bit me, twice, while his self-absorbed owners looked on and did nothing but make lame excuses on behalf of the mutt, and offered me zero assistance afterwards.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your dog is much nicer to you than he is to strangers. I know that might be a major revelation to some, but I think that message really needs to get out there to irresponsible owners of large dogs (are there any other kind these days?) Especially the ones that are are allowed to run loose.
Old 02-10-19, 09:37 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your dog is much nicer to you than he is to strangers. I know that might be a major revelation to some, but I think that message really needs to get out there to irresponsible owners of large dogs (are there any other kind these days?) Especially the ones that are are allowed to run loose.
Yes..... Yes there are many good owners , in many places. I've been triggered.....
Oh but leave your cats at home when you're stopping by ...

Last edited by 308jerry; 02-10-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 09:56 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Looks like it's time to lawyer up.

-Kedosto
*responsible dog owner*
Old 02-10-19, 10:13 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
A bite from a small dog can hurt as much as a bite from a big dog. Also a little dog in front of the front wheel can cause a crash too.
Not trying to minimize your terrible experience. Most places have a leash law. It may be on line. Having a police officer visit them (even just a warning) might be a good thing. Maybe this would result in the dog not being free to run around. This would be a benefit for other cyclists too.
Old 02-10-19, 10:23 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Where I live, any dog bite that needs medial attention (ANY bite that breaks the skin) the medical facility is REQUIRED to file an incident report to the County, and THEY follow up with a 'bad dog' warning/citiation, in addition to a mandatory quarantine/rabies check of the animal.

That is in addition to any personal civil lawsuit you may wish to file for medical expenses and damages to your person or property.
Old 02-10-19, 10:26 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Indeed, definitely time to get law enforcement involved. And, if you were treated through your insurance, they might take care of filing the lawsuit.
Old 02-10-19, 12:01 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Loose dogs can be a problem, especially in rural areas where they are left to run free and have a gaurding instinct. After years of occasionally having to out run them I now carry bear spray with me so I have another alternative.

Oddly, I often ride and take my own dog on a many kilometers long dike system locally that is considered an off leash area. There you encounter many many dogs running free but very few that act at all aggressively. I don't know if the atmosphere is different, the people are more relaxed or somehow the users self police aggressive dogs out. Sometimes a dog runs up but is more of a friendly curiosity than aggression and I leash my dog when passing others simply because she is young and friendly and still likes to jump up when excited (with muddy paws and all).

I hope you did something at the time in this instance and did not just leave the scene. You can't stop poor behavior by the owners if it goes unreported.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-10-19 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 12:07 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Wow. Where was that picture taken?
Looks like a 3rd world country
Old 02-10-19, 12:22 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Glad you survived,you should contact the law enforcement agency in your area a file a complaint against the owner of the dog....at the very least make sure that the dog is up to date on it's shots !!!!!
Old 02-10-19, 12:49 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Do you carry a phone? You should have called 911 immediately and stayed at the scene of the attack until help arrived. Treat this the same as you would a motor vehicle accident.
Old 02-10-19, 02:52 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Human behavior is highly variable but dog behavior is very predictable, so the onus is really on the human side of interactions like this. Maybe your parents never told you, "don't run from an angry barking dog" but they should have. From the dog's POV you're a trespasser and their simply doing their job.

So in conclusion: Don't attempt to outrun angry dogs.

Now legally I'm sure the dog's owner is at fault, but I'm blaming you anyway.
Old 02-10-19, 04:31 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
Human behavior is highly variable but dog behavior is very predictable, so the onus is really on the human side of interactions like this. Maybe your parents never told you, "don't run from an angry barking dog" but they should have. From the dog's POV you're a trespasser and their simply doing their job.

I realize that I should probably not get involved in a "dog thread," but I just feel compelled to point out that under certain circumstances the best course of action is to try to outrun the dog. If I am near the far edge of a property when a loose dog runs out and starts chasing me from behind, there is no way that I am going to slow down... and what, unclip? Put a foot down in front of the dogs mouth?

The dog will likely chase for a bit until I am away from its territory and then will get tired or bored and go home. If I slow down, or stop, it will think it caught me... a well behaved dog will jump up and down excitedly, a poorly behaved dog will put its teeth in my leg. No way am I going to put myself in that situation if I can avoid it.

Now, if a dog runs out in front of me, I slow down or stop and try to calm the dog down and make it go home. I am not going to risk hitting the dog and going over the handlebars.

I don't blame the dog in either of these situations. Like you said, the dog is just acting within its nature. I blame the owners who let an unleashed dog out on public roads, endangering the dog and endangering users of the road. I have encountered some dog owners who cannot control their dogs, even when they try. I blame the owners. You should not keep a dog, let alone a loose dog, that you cannot command and that you cannot keep from attacking people, including people who are using public property.... in fact, in most places, doing so is illegal.
Old 02-10-19, 05:17 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Thankfully it was not a mountain lion.
Old 02-10-19, 05:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Dogs are not the problem. Their stupid owners are
Old 02-10-19, 05:59 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts

Okay.

-Matt
Old 02-10-19, 06:22 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Dog owners can be a deluded bunch. There are a great many things they don't realize. Like what it feels like to have their loving 100 lb fuzzball charge and slam into you on your bike at 20 mph, then make a bloody meal out of your leg. As happened to me just yesterday with this dog, photographed an instant before he attacked and bit me, twice, while his self-absorbed owners looked on and did nothing but make lame excuses on behalf of the mutt, and offered me zero assistance afterwards.

conceal carry and that dog would have bitten its last person (unfortunately the dog has crap for brains owner)
Old 02-10-19, 06:36 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Thankfully it was not a mountain lion.
Those we strangle.
Old 02-10-19, 06:48 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy

conceal carry and that dog would have bitten its last person (unfortunately the dog has crap for brains owner)

Before CO2 and mini pumps, this used to be my dog weapon of choice.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-10-19, 06:50 PM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Looks like it's time to lawyer up.

-Kedosto
*responsible dog owner*
No doubt about it.
Old 02-10-19, 06:59 PM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

Old 02-10-19, 07:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by clem von jones
human behavior is highly variable but dog behavior is very predictable, so the onus is really on the human side of interactions like this. Maybe your parents never told you, "don't run from an angry barking dog" but they should have. From the dog's pov you're a trespasser and their simply doing their job.

Now legally i'm sure the dog's owner is at fault, but i'm blaming you anyway.
but i'm blaming the dogs owners anyway
fify
Old 02-10-19, 07:56 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I have been riding for more years than I care to admit to. I ride mostly through farm land where large dogs reside in unfenced property.

Never, ever had a bad incident involving an aggressive dog.

Not saying it doesn’t happen, just has not happened to me in all of these years.

I agree with you, however, it is the owner’s responsibility to make sure that their dogs are not a threat. I have two large dogs (over 115 lbs each). They will protect and guard the house and backyard, mostly by scaring the crap out of intruders. They are fenced in and are not able to get out of the yard..

Good luck to you.

Old 02-10-19, 08:12 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How is posting on a bike forum going to do anything , go to the authorities and stop crying about it .
Old 02-10-19, 08:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
lawsuits are how we communicate in america

Bruce Gordon got a batch of Silca replicas made in Titanium, to still work as a pump after making a real impression

with that steel Campagnolo pump head under those little blue rubber caps..

so you got a Lawyer and County Animal Control working on that yet ? Hmmm...
Old 02-10-19, 08:25 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
I realize that I should probably not get involved in a "dog thread," but I just feel compelled to point out that under certain circumstances the best course of action is to try to outrun the dog. If I am near the far edge of a property when a loose dog runs out and starts chasing me from behind, there is no way that I am going to slow down... and what, unclip? Put a foot down in front of the dogs mouth?

The dog will likely chase for a bit until I am away from its territory and then will get tired or bored and go home. If I slow down, or stop, it will think it caught me... a well behaved dog will jump up and down excitedly, a poorly behaved dog will put its teeth in my leg. No way am I going to put myself in that situation if I can avoid it.
Re-read the OP.

100 lb fuzzball charge and slam into you on your bike at 20 mph, then make a bloody meal out of your leg.
OP was attempting to out run the dog (20 mph) and got "slammed into" and chomped. Stopping usually ends the chase, and completely eliminates the risk of a crash. (where the biggest injuries can occur) It also leaves you in a better position to protect yourself.

Heal up quickly OP, and press charges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.