Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are you drinking?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 08:21 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Well I add maltodextrin to my gatorade....I think I do about 50 gram maltodextrin to 23 gram gatorade. It takes like 30 seconds per bottle.

Agree about the maltodextrin, but I think for different reasons. I don't believe maltodextrin takes significantly longer to break down in the gut. But is 1 step more complex, which is important because it doesn't taste sweet generally. So you can cram a ton of maltodextrin calories into a bottle without making it taste like you dumbed a half pound of sugar in there.
I use the same for rides over 3 hours, otherwise just plain water.

Half scoop Gatorade + 1 scoop maltodexterin works great and is really cheap.
Old 05-22-19, 08:25 AM
atjurhs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
i'm thinking i will go with powdered gatorade, with powdered maltodextrin both from amazon for fairly cheap
Old 05-22-19, 08:59 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Do some darn research. Perpetuem is not a sports drink like Gatorade. And for people who think Gatorade has tons of energy, it doesn't a 32 oz. bottle has only 200 calories. A single serve package of Perpetuem, which I mix in a 25 oz. bottle, has 270. 54 grams of carbs in 25 oz. compared to 56 for the 32 oz. Gatorade.

And when you are doing something like this, where there is no access to any food or water, on a fully-loaded bike, in 90 degree temperatures, you don't have the luxury of raiding your pantry:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23254899?beta=false

Life it's not always about saving a few bucks.
You obviously werent paying attention. I specifically stated I mix maltodextrin with gatorade in order to have enough calories. I have 300 calories per 16oz bottle.

And of course life isnt about saving a few bucks. But high sports nutrion drinks, to me at least, is akin to paying $15 for a pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm fairly certain I can tackle that without overly taxing myself...

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 05-22-19 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 09:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Coffee , it's early.. next ... brekkie..
Old 05-22-19, 10:01 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Hammer Fizz

Mango and Grapefruit are my favorites.
Old 05-22-19, 10:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Water will help that

Don't overthink it too much. Those products have salts in them that, if you go hours and hours, you can start to feel the effects of depleting them in your body. Research also says that that and the addition of sugar allows the fluid to be absorbed more quickly than just water on it's own. But really....I see limited benefit in water being absorbed 5% faster or whatever it is. As long as you don't stop drinking.
After a ride where I sweat a lot - which is another way of saying summer - I can drink as much water as I want and not be any less thirsty. They I don't sleep because I have to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes, the bladder buster. If I put Nuun tabs on the water, I'm not thirsty any more after a few glasses. Milk and Gatorade work too, but those have calories.
Old 05-22-19, 11:10 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
After a ride where I sweat a lot - which is another way of saying summer - I can drink as much water as I want and not be any less thirsty. They I don't sleep because I have to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes, the bladder buster. If I put Nuun tabs on the water, I'm not thirsty any more after a few glasses. Milk and Gatorade work too, but those have calories.

Do you guys have summer there? I thought it was like 50F and rainy the whole year...
Old 05-22-19, 11:20 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Nuun. No energy, just electrolytes.
I second this.
I use Nuun Sport for normal training. When I go on long rides I use Nuun Endurance as well.

Nothing beats this stuff
Old 05-22-19, 11:29 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
And of course life isnt about saving a few bucks. But high sports nutrion drinks, to me at least, is akin to paying $15 for a pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm fairly certain I can tackle that without overly taxing myself...
I checked out the product labels in the pantry last night. A lot of the "amino acids" and minerals/vitamins listed in the Hammer stuff is also found in the hemp protein powder, almost all infact. So now I'm at $10 for Malto + $15 for Protein powder + $$? for electrolytes, Hmm. Sounds like I need to experiment in a few months when I get low.

I'm a superstitious guy though, and the fancy products worked really, really well.

Hammer included some nice literature, which stated you can over drink just water during exercise, recommending no more then 28oz/hr. That's what I was doing wrong and the electrolytes were a game changer. They also said if you have a high sodium diet you'll need more electrolytes during activity, so I'm trying to cut down on daily salt intake now.

I stay firm in that Gatorade is just plain sugar, and refined sugar is the devil.
Old 05-22-19, 11:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

Do you guys have summer there? I thought it was like 50F and rainy the whole year...
If anybody is thinking of moving here, no. It rains 12 days a week, you'd hate it.

But if we're talking about Brawndo the Thirst Mutilator, yeah. It hit into the high 80s a couple weeks ago, and when it's been 50F every day for a month, that's kind of a shock. In the summer we get days over 100F now. Usually not so many, go E and they get months over 100F.
Old 05-22-19, 11:46 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I checked out the product labels in the pantry last night. A lot of the "amino acids" and minerals/vitamins listed in the Hammer stuff is also found in the hemp protein powder, almost all infact. So now I'm at $10 for Malto + $15 for Protein powder + $$? for electrolytes, Hmm. Sounds like I need to experiment in a few months when I get low.

I'm a superstitious guy though, and the fancy products worked really, really well.

Hammer included some nice literature, which stated you can over drink just water during exercise, recommending no more then 28oz/hr. That's what I was doing wrong and the electrolytes were a game changer. They also said if you have a high sodium diet you'll need more electrolytes during activity, so I'm trying to cut down on daily salt intake now.

I stay firm in that Gatorade is just plain sugar, and refined sugar is the devil.
If that is what you believe, then you should probably stay away from the Hammer stuff, gels, and anything with maltodextrin. Maltodextrin is the definition of refined, and is generally as high, or higher than simple table sugar (sucrose) on the glycemic index, which is glucose and fructose bound together. Maltodextrin is varying length chains of pure glucose. Food for thought.

https://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

I should add that sure, if youre working a desk job, slamming maltodextrin or sugar is a pretty poor diet. But on the bike, the whole POINT (the calorie portion anyway) is to counteract sugar/glycogen depletion. You do this with high glycemic foods (aka sugar).

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 05-22-19 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 05-22-19, 12:01 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by GrainBrain

The reason you cant drink an infinite amount of water is hyponatremia. You're essentially diluting the salt content of your body with pure water. A few liters isnt going to make a difference. Multiple gallons, and you might start feeling pretty funny. I've had it...you get kinda weak, and feel almost dehydrated, which of course makes it even worse.
Old 05-22-19, 12:31 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
The reason you cant drink an infinite amount of water is hyponatremia. You're essentially diluting the salt content of your body with pure water. A few liters isnt going to make a difference. Multiple gallons, and you might start feeling pretty funny. I've had it...you get kinda weak, and feel almost dehydrated, which of course makes it even worse.
Yup. Seizures, brain swelling, coma, and death are slow, too.
Old 05-22-19, 12:42 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yup. Seizures, brain swelling, coma, and death are slow, too.

There is always that
Old 05-22-19, 12:53 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Too much plain water is not good. I've been there. You don't just get weak in the knees, its a pretty miserable head feeling too.
Old 05-22-19, 01:02 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Too much plain water is not good. I've been there. You don't just get weak in the knees, its a pretty miserable head feeling too.
Okay, now that we're getting all anecdotal, I actually think I have a visual phenomenon, which happens when I'm a little sodium depleted or over hydrated. It's a phosphene-like sense of light or sparkles, which pulsates slowly in and out from the periphery.

What? Never had that? I'm too focused on my internal goings on? Okay.
Old 05-22-19, 01:33 PM
Abe_Froman

Well this is a bit of a semantic argument...but there is no such thing as being overhydrated. If you're overhydrated...you pee. Hyponatremia is specifically caused by lack of table salt (sodium) in the body.
Old 05-22-19, 01:51 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Well this is a bit of a semantic argument...but there is no such thing as being overhydrated. If you're overhydrated...you pee. Hyponatremia is specifically caused by lack of table salt (sodium) in the body.
Not quite.

You can be hyponatremic with increased or decreased intravascular volume. Dehydration is often accompanied by hyponatremia and salt has to be replaced along with water.

In water intoxication, one is acutely hyponatremic and in a hypervolemic state (too much volume). In water intoxicated athletes, the situation is worsened by obligatory salt losses through the skin. You can drink far faster than you can form urine and the kidney is incapable of removing all sodium from the urine, even in the face of extreme hyponatremia, so a little sodium is lost even in the effort to remove water.

The mechanism of acute hyponatremia/water intoxication is osmolar. That is, serum and extracellular fluid osmolarity, which is largely created by Na and CL, is reduced and water follows the osmolar gradient into cells, which swell and malfunction as a result. The central nervous system takes the big hit there. There is only one common way to get into that particular state, which is by drinking too much water relative to salt, call it what you will. The clinical world calls it water intoxication and regards hyponatremia as part of the syndrome and its mechanism.

A related issue is water repletion after chronic dehydration, where cells essentially create higher internal osmolarity to retain water in order to function. A big dose of water in that state can kill.

Other than athletes, situations where one sees water intoxication are psych patients with schizophrenia and OCD, who occasionally drink themselves to death, and people trying to cheat on drug tests by diluting their urine.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-22-19 at 07:25 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-22-19, 03:31 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Accelerade up to the halfway point, then water. I mix it light, only 130 calories. Trying to lose weight.
Old 05-22-19, 03:56 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Diluted Gatorade.
Me too.
Old 05-22-19, 03:58 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
edit, n/m I decided not to be a d**k
Old 05-22-19, 06:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

My personal view is that you're paying a 500% markup on basic pantry goods for the privilege of having a 2% difference compared to what you could do at home for practically free.
So how do I make something at home that replaces not just table salt but also magnesium and potassium in something close to the ratio your losing them, and tastes acceptable? I guess it's easy enough to get potassium, but most people don't get enough magnesium right?

I like money. A penny saved is a penny earned.
Old 05-22-19, 06:38 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
One part Snow's clam juice, two parts Sunny Delight, two parts double-distilled, de-ionized water, spiked with 30 mg of methylphenidate per liter. I can go all day on that stuff.
That's how the pros fuel for a 200k on Zwift.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 05-22-19, 06:53 PM
Abe_Froman

So how do I make something at home that replaces not just table salt but also magnesium and potassium in something close to the ratio your losing them, and tastes acceptable? I guess it's easy enough to get potassium, but most people don't get enough magnesium right?

Well powdered gatorade has both salt and potassium. They have an endurance formula that has significantly more of both, and is still pretty cheap.

I'll claim ignorance on magnesium. I'm not sure what, if any, short term detrimental effects there might be from low magnesium in the system, and how quickly you use it. I am fairly certain that it's level of importance is below that of both sodium and potassium. Sodium is the biggie.
Old 05-22-19, 06:59 PM
MoAlpha
• —

My semi-informed take is that you don't need to put the Mg or the K in a drink, since there are body stores of those elements, which can be repleted by diet except in rare cases of Mg deficiency. Na, by contrast, is not really stored and needs to be replaced in real time during prolonged exercise.

I think you're right that subtle Mg deficiency may be common in industrialized societies, but it's easy to eat foods that contain it. I practically live on legumes, nuts, dark chocolate and leafy greens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.