Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Punctures due to leaky patches: Am I doing it wrong?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Punctures due to leaky patches: Am I doing it wrong?

Old 07-02-19, 01:49 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
i vote for the patch kits that have two little glue tubes in them, more chances of them not drying out.
and once in a while, buying new tubes of glue, worth the few bucks to avoid a dried out one just when you need it.
Old 07-02-19, 02:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
i vote for the patch kits that have two little glue tubes in them, more chances of them not drying out.
and once in a while, buying new tubes of glue, worth the few bucks to avoid a dried out one just when you need it.
Best practice is to always keep a virgin tube of glue on the bike, and avoid patching tubes if at all possible until you've accumulated a bunch of punctured tubes at home. Then, if you have to patch a tube on the road (or run out of good spare tubes), immediately patch all of your punctured tubes when you get home, using your recently-opened tube. This maximizes the utility of each tube of glue, and minimizes the chance of being stuck somewhere with a dried-up tube of glue.

You can patch quite a few tubes with one little tube of glue. I still had glue leftover after this batch:
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-02-19, 02:41 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Of course, the hole is right next to the seam, and was really hard to sand down.
Easiest way to sand a seam is fold the tube so that the seam is on the fold. Makes the seam stand out and simple to sand down to match the surface.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-02-19, 04:28 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Make sure to let the glue dry. Some years ago when I was living in Nigeria we had a young policeman stationed in our compound. I was riding my bike around the local roads, early in the morning only, too hot later and would occasionally get a flat from a wire or nail or something. One day I took a few tubes out to patch them. I had a good pump, and patch kit. I was under the thatched roof near the pool when the policeman came out to see.

Cooler and shady there. I started on the first one and he came closer. He politely asked if he could help. He showed me how he had been taught at the academy. Mark the spot, rough up the area, spread on the glue and WAIT. Like until the glue was really really dry. Then peel the back off the patch and apply. Then press it on really hard with a rounded object like the end of a screwdriver handle or similar. Talcum powder on the tube before reinstalling.

I was glad to have the lesson, I hadn’t been waiting long enough all those years. It was interesting that they taught tube patching at the police academy but if you were to get a flat somewhere it did make sense to be able to take care of it. Over the three years I lived there we had several pleasant patching sessions. I left just when he was taking his exams to be promoted. He passed and as we parted we wished each other well in our new endeavors. And thanks for the lessons.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 07-02-19, 04:58 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Make sure to let the glue dry. Some years ago when I was living in Nigeria we had a young policeman stationed in our compound. I was riding my bike around the local roads, early in the morning only, too hot later and would occasionally get a flat from a wire or nail or something. One day I took a few tubes out to patch them. I had a good pump, and patch kit. I was under the thatched roof near the pool when the policeman came out to see.

Cooler and shady there. I started on the first one and he came closer. He politely asked if he could help. He showed me how he had been taught at the academy. Mark the spot, rough up the area, spread on the glue and WAIT. Like until the glue was really really dry. Then peel the back off the patch and apply. Then press it on really hard with a rounded object like the end of a screwdriver handle or similar. Talcum powder on the tube before reinstalling.

I was glad to have the lesson, I hadn’t been waiting long enough all those years. It was interesting that they taught tube patching at the police academy but if you were to get a flat somewhere it did make sense to be able to take care of it. Over the three years I lived there we had several pleasant patching sessions. I left just when he was taking his exams to be promoted. He passed and as we parted we wished each other well in our new endeavors. And thanks for the lessons.
I like any country where patching a bike tire is part of police training.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-02-19, 08:33 PM
djb

thats a cool story.
Old 07-02-19, 08:38 PM
djb

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Best practice is to always keep a virgin tube of glue on the bike, and avoid patching tubes if at all possible until you've accumulated a bunch of punctured tubes at home. Then, if you have to patch a tube on the road (or run out of good spare tubes), immediately patch all of your punctured tubes when you get home, using your recently-opened tube. This maximizes the utility of each tube of glue, and minimizes the chance of being stuck somewhere with a dried-up tube of glue.

You can patch quite a few tubes with one little tube of glue. I still had glue leftover after this batch:
good point, although I tend to do it right away, because if not, I forget and or mix up the tube, so just prefer to do it at home right away.
I have a larger tube of glue, and use it, and leave the unopened ones alone--checking them once in a blue moon to feel if they still feel luiquidy when I squeeze them.--and yes, tend to put in some just bought ones before going on a trip.
Hope you got the spoke caused hole dealt with, ie found the spoke protruding or the misplaced rim tape on that schraeder tube on the right with patch on the inside part.
Old 07-02-19, 08:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by djb
good point, although I tend to do it right away, because if not, I forget and or mix up the tube, so just prefer to do it at home right away.
I have a larger tube of glue, and use it, and leave the unopened ones alone--checking them once in a blue moon to feel if they still feel luiquidy when I squeeze them.--and yes, tend to put in some just bought ones before going on a trip.
Hope you got the spoke caused hole dealt with, ie found the spoke protruding or the misplaced rim tape on that schraeder tube on the right with patch on the inside part.
Gotta get organized!

RUSA #7498
Old 07-03-19, 09:31 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Seams unnecessary

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Easiest way to sand a seam is fold the tube so that the seam is on the fold. Makes the seam stand out and simple to sand down to match the surface.
That sounds like a good technique, but I haven't found it necessary to get rid of the raised seam. I do sand the area to remove the release compound, but I put the patch over the seam and haven't had a problem. I burnish the patch with the rounded butt of a screwdriver, and press overnight between two thin wood shims with a spring clamp. Probably overkill, but never fails.

I appreciate the efficiency of patching tubes in batches, but I don't generate enough punctured tubes, so I just do them singly as they occur. I don't like punctures, but I do enjoy patching. It's simple job that works, saves pitching a tube, and I get to huff a little Rema! It's satisfying.
Old 07-03-19, 09:56 AM
djb

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Gotta get organized!
chuckle
like what the previous guy answered, I just dont get enough flats to even consider stockpiling holey tubes for mass patching (TOUCH WOOD!)
so its just easier to do it right away.

over many decades, fairly consistent average of maybe one flat per season (TOUCH WOOD!!!)
Old 07-03-19, 10:46 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by djb
chuckle
like what the previous guy answered, I just dont get enough flats to even consider stockpiling holey tubes for mass patching (TOUCH WOOD!)
so its just easier to do it right away.

over many decades, fairly consistent average of maybe one flat per season (TOUCH WOOD!!!)

That handful in my picture was about 2-3 years in the making. I actually enjoy patching tubes as well, but obviously don't wish for more punctures than I currently get.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-03-19, 10:58 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
That sounds like a good technique, but I haven't found it necessary to get rid of the raised seam.
Same here, just patch over it. I use Rema so YMMV. BTW, it's not really a seam, it's flashing from the vulcanization process.

About glue tubes drying up: I've found that I can extend the useful life of an opened tube by squeezing lightly to get some glue peeking out before I put the cap back on. This forces the air out and keeps the glue fluid longer.
Old 07-03-19, 11:38 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Same here, just patch over it. I use Rema so YMMV. BTW, it's not really a seam, it's flashing from the vulcanization process.

About glue tubes drying up: I've found that I can extend the useful life of an opened tube by squeezing lightly to get some glue peeking out before I put the cap back on. This forces the air out and keeps the glue fluid longer.
absolutely, and for me this was always instinct, because as I spent half of my life in a darkroom, we always would squeeze the bottle of liquid developers to eliminate the air in the bottle, so that the developer would stay stronger for a longer period of time, oxidization and all that.

re glue tubes--sometimes also over time cracks can happen in the tube, drying it out. This is why the small plastic boxes holding a patching kit is good, it helps stop the tube or tubes getting scrunched by other stuff.
Old 07-03-19, 12:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I appreciate the efficiency of patching tubes in batches, but I don't generate enough punctured tubes, so I just do them singly as they occur.
The Fourth is timely, as I've accumulated enough flats that I'm about to dip into new tubes if I don't have a patching party. IIRC I had one early this year, and the one before that was last summer. The "tubes to be repaired" box is a great idea.
Old 07-03-19, 10:38 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I agree that Rema "Tip Top" patch kits are excellent.

But I now buy packages of patches made in China (find then on eBay) and tubes of glue separately (also eBay). As long as it's a vulcanizing rubber cement (not the stuff made for gluing paper together) it should be fine. Always carry at least one unopened tube on the bike. At home I have a 4 oz can of glue, brush in the lid.
Old 07-04-19, 01:29 PM
smikeybikey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has the material inner tubes are made from changed in recent years because they do seem harder to patch nowadays?
Old 07-04-19, 01:43 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Not that I am aware. I would suspect that ingredients in the glues available have been changed to less toxic (and less effective) alternatives. I live in California, and plenty of chemicals have been outlawed here, usually with no notice at all to the consumer. You simply discover that a cleaning product or tire patch glue no longer works as well as it used to.