Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 11:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
Well, I took the plunge today and ordered a set of RR36C02 wheels, Onyx hubs w/ CL disc brakes, CX Ray spokes with black brass nipples and ghost graphics. I picked the 36mm depth since it seemed to be the best compromise between aero and cross wind resistance which I face a lot around here in the spring. Not that I needed new CF wheels at all but once I got it into my head it just ate at me until I couldn't take it anymore. I figure my serious (for me) cycling years are counting down so why not enjoy them while I can.

They will be built in and are coming out of Canada since I wanted the Onyx hubs so delivery should be week after next. Would have been sooner but they have to order the Onyx hubs from the factory and hope have them built by the end of next week or early the following week.
You made the right choice.
Old 07-03-19, 12:08 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceiver
Well my 5800 DM brakes (BR-5810-RS) product specification lists 28mm as max width.
When I went to put the rear wheel in it was painfully obvious it wasn't going to work, I clearly had not done enough research when jumping on the 56mm Deep/30mm Wide wheel.
I even looked at a few alternatives, Cane Creek EE brakes for example. However, they have the 28mm width limitation as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but looking at Shimanos specification page for the R7000 DM brakes (BR-R7010-F) you are likely screwed as well.

Thankfully I only bought the rear wheel in 56mmD/30mmW and bought the front wheel as 46mmD/28mmW.
I had to buy another 46mmD/30mmW rear wheel from them to match and thus have the 56mm one sitting around collecting dust as I've yet to try and find a buyer.

Also the weightweenies link basically confirms what I mentioned. 28mm max. The one guy has 30mm on NON direct mount brakes.
I even felt the need to have to use the Evo Flash pads to give myself adequate clearance with the 28mm rims.
I have the standard center mount. I’m so confused as to why direct mount brakes don’t open up as wide as central mount. Or maybe they do and I’m screwed. I’m open to getting wider brakes if necessary but I’m praying that the R7000 central mount brakes will cut it (with evo pads).

EDIT: Ok I think I know the difference. The new brakes don’t need thinner pads to accommodate 28mm rims. And the old ones do? So theoretically, with thinner pads, the new brakes should take 30mm??? How is it that I’ve not seen a single example of anyone running into this before? My wheels just left customs so I guess the moment of truth will arrive soon.

EDIT again: So I just measured about 36mm between the two pads (which are fairly new and not worn). Pic below; mind the parallax error. I know 30mm is gonna be TIGHT but I think it should be usable. I’m not the type of guy to flex wheels super hard anyway.

Last edited by smashndash; 07-03-19 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 12:56 PM
smashndash

The wheel is on backwards and my pads aren’t here yet but looks like I’m in business. If you don’t want to see the video, the rim (which looks way wider in person btw) fits with (very little) room to spare. The pads are probably not going to be flush against the rim initially though. The arms are at too much of an angle. But it’s not too bad. I would NOT recommend going any wider than 30mm though because the height and the pad angle would probably get compromised. The QR lever still works too. I’m so glad this worked. I imagine that the R7010 should work as well. There shouldn’t be such a huge difference in clearance between the two.

Packaging was intact and wheels don’t have any obvious defects. Only sad part is that the tubeless tape isn’t installed and the wheels are covered in nipple oil. I wonder how they do a tire inflation test (I asked) without the tape... maybe they use an oldschool rim strip.

Seals are extremely tight right now. I can imagine these wheels feeling slower than my current wheels, especially at lower speeds for the time being. If they don’t get way, way looser, I’ll probably swap out all the bearings for some nice contactless seal bearings before next race season. But that’s a while from now lol

Last edited by smashndash; 07-03-19 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 05:24 PM
Deceiver

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash

The wheel is on backwards and my pads aren’t here yet but looks like I’m in business. If you don’t want to see the video, the rim (which looks way wider in person btw) fits with (very little) room to spare. The pads are probably not going to be flush against the rim initially though. The arms are at too much of an angle. But it’s not too bad. I would NOT recommend going any wider than 30mm though because the height and the pad angle would probably get compromised. The QR lever still works too. I’m so glad this worked. I imagine that the R7010 should work as well. There shouldn’t be such a huge difference in clearance between the two.

Packaging was intact and wheels don’t have any obvious defects. Only sad part is that the tubeless tape isn’t installed and the wheels are covered in nipple oil. I wonder how they do a tire inflation test (I asked) without the tape... maybe they use an oldschool rim strip.

Seals are extremely tight right now. I can imagine these wheels feeling slower than my current wheels, especially at lower speeds for the time being. If they don’t get way, way looser, I’ll probably swap out all the bearings for some nice contactless seal bearings before next race season. But that’s a while from now lol
That's awesome, maybe it has to do with a combination of the new groupset, center mount, and position on the bike. It looked like Shimano has 28mm as the widest for those too but if it fits it fits.

Wondering if an upgrade would accommodate that other wheel I have sitting here that I can't presently use.?
Old 07-03-19, 06:39 PM
smashndash

That's awesome, maybe it has to do with a combination of the new groupset, center mount, and position on the bike. It looked like Shimano has 28mm as the widest for those too but if it fits it fits.

Wondering if an upgrade would accommodate that other wheel I have sitting here that I can't presently use.?
Do you know anyone with a newer direct mount brake bike? There's tons of them on the market right now. I'd ask to drop by someone's home and see if your wheel can slide in. If so, the $50 "upgrade" to the new brakes is probably cheaper than tanking the losses on selling an individual rear wheel and/or buying a replacement.
Old 07-05-19, 05:18 AM
bornas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TPD delivery which provides a tax pre-paid duty

Has anybody within EU recently bought wheels with this service: TPD delivery“?

„By default we ship with EMS, and for express shipping we use DHL and FedEx. As an option to European Countries, we can now ship with new TPD delivery which provides a tax pre-paid duty. Please contact us if you would like to upgrade the shipping option and we will provide a quote.“
"
TPD delivery way is the only one that is tax prepaid for orders shipping from China. You will not have to pay the customs tax or VAT cost. TPD delivery is mainly for customers from Europe, It will take around 7~12 days."

This service is quite cheap and costs around import duty (4,6%) but I cannot see how it can compensate VAT (in my case it is 25%).
Guys at Lightwheels claim that I will pay nothing after I pay their bill.

(for more info google "TPD delivery which provides a tax pre-paid duty lightweight" )
Old 07-05-19, 05:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How much do you folks weigh?
Originally Posted by superdex
84kg. (185ish in old money)
Superdex.. still happy with the 45s? Looking at those or the same width model in 35s. I'm basically the same weight as yourself.

The weight question is of interest though.. flipping back thru the pages of this thread, it looks like basically everyone has gone with the stock(?) 20/24 spoke build. Does LB have a spoke-count to weight recommendation?
Old 07-05-19, 12:02 PM
smashndash

Hey I have a question about rim tape:

“Can be used as ultra-light rim tape with inner tubes (2 wraps required)”

That’s from Silca’s wesbite. Their tubeless tape looks an awful lot like the one LB provides. Does this mean I need 2 wraps of tubeless tape to use tubes on these wheels? Even if I’m running less than 50psi?
Old 07-05-19, 12:14 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Hey I have a question about rim tape:

“Can be used as ultra-light rim tape with inner tubes (2 wraps required)”

That’s from Silca’s wesbite. Their tubeless tape looks an awful lot like the one LB provides. Does this mean I need 2 wraps of tubeless tape to use tubes on these wheels? Even if I’m running less than 50psi?
It's absolutely not the same tape. I replaced the LB tape, with Silica Platinum tape yesterday.
Old 07-05-19, 01:06 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by noodle soup
It's absolutely not the same tape. I replaced the LB tape, with Silica Platinum tape yesterday.
Oh ok. It still seems kind of thin though. Do you know how seriously I need to take this 2 wrap advice with thinner tapes?
Old 07-05-19, 02:41 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Superdex.. still happy with the 45s? Looking at those or the same width model in 35s. I'm basically the same weight as yourself.

The weight question is of interest though.. flipping back thru the pages of this thread, it looks like basically everyone has gone with the stock(?) 20/24 spoke build. Does LB have a spoke-count to weight recommendation?
I have about 350mi on them, and yeah, they're great. LB puts a 130kg (286 lbs) weight limit on the rim (for what it's worth). Personally, I've never had issue with low(er) spoke wheels. Either I'm just easy on equipment or not an ox. (probably both)
Old 07-05-19, 05:59 PM
smashndash

Just took my 56s out for a spin. I love the grooved graphene track’s sound. I can tell exactly how fast I’m going without looking at the speedo. Braking was fine but I haven’t really done any hard, late stops yet.

It was windy but I felt no steering jerks at all. Maybe a lazy listing to one side or another but I can’t be sure it was the wheels - and I’m quite light.

One thing that has me concerned is how much sidewall I’m riding on:

This was despite my not pushing very hard at all. Maybe 70% of what I’m comfortable with and nowhere near “oh $#!+” lean. So I’m afraid I’ll be scraping the logo off in short order. Anyone else have experience with this? To be fair, here’s a picture of my old tire:

Same tire but on a 17mm internal rim. I assume that transition from dark to light is the maximum lean. But I’ve also taken some hard turns on this tire. So while riding on the sidewall isn’t inherently terrible, I’m afraid of the extent to which I might end up doing so. Am I overthinking this?
Old 07-05-19, 07:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I can't assist with the question but...

I assume that transition from dark to light is the maximum lean.
An old sports car or motorcycle racing trick is to mark the tire with line of chalk from the tread to the sidewall. Where the chalk wore off would indicate how far the tire is rolling onto the sidewall.

You might get a clearer indication of how far you are actually riding on the sidewall by employing the same technique.

-Tim-
Old 07-05-19, 08:25 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I can't assist with the question but...

An old sports car or motorcycle racing trick is to mark the tire with line of chalk from the tread to the sidewall. Where the chalk wore off would indicate how far the tire is rolling onto the sidewall.

You might get a clearer indication of how far you are actually riding on the sidewall by employing the same technique.

-Tim-
I’ll try that in the future, but since these are new tires, I’m fairly certain the dirty/rough section of the tire indicates how far I was leaning.
Old 07-05-19, 08:45 PM
noodle soup

Oh ok. It still seems kind of thin though. Do you know how seriously I need to take this 2 wrap advice with thinner tapes?
I always do 2 wraps of tape, but probably just because that's what Stan's used to specify.

One thing that has me concerned is how much sidewall I’m riding on. I’m afraid I’ll be scraping the logo off in short order. Anyone else have experience with this? To be fair, here’s a picture of my old tire:

I assume that transition from dark to light is the maximum lean. But I’ve also taken some hard turns on this tire. So while riding on the sidewall isn’t inherently terrible, I’m afraid of the extent to which I might end up doing so. Am I overthinking this?
What size tires are you using, and at what pressure?
Old 07-05-19, 08:56 PM
smashndash

I always do 2 wraps of tape, but probably just because that's what Stan's used to specify.

What size tires are you using, and at what pressure?
25mm tires at 45-50psi. I’m pretty light at 135-140lbs and my bike has zero compliance so it’s faster for me to run slightly lower pressures. Enve recommends around 57 psi for a 25mm tire on 20mm rims so I think I’m not too far off.

for reference, I was running 40-50psi with the same tires on my last (narrow) wheelset. I never experienced any flop in corners. But I’m wondering if this could compromise grip when cornering reaaally hard like I want to. The main reason I got these wheels was to go as low in pressure as possible without having the tire flop, and hopefully gaining some grip.

Last edited by smashndash; 07-05-19 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 09:18 PM
noodle soup

25mm tires at 45-50psi. I’m pretty light at 135-140lbs and my bike has zero compliance so it’s faster for me to run slightly lower pressures. Enve recommends around 57 psi for a 25mm tire on 20mm rims so I think I’m not too far off.

for reference, I was running 40-50psi with the same tires on my last (narrow) wheelset. I never experienced any flop in corners. But I’m wondering if this could compromise grip when cornering reaaally hard like I want to. The main reason I got these wheels was to go as low in pressure as possible without having the tire flop, and hopefully gaining some grip.
45/50 seems pretty low to me for 25mm tires.

I'm running 55-60psi and 30mm tires, but I weigh 178lbs..
Old 07-05-19, 09:31 PM
smashndash

45/50 seems pretty low to me for 25mm tires.

I'm running 55-60psi and 30mm tires, but I weigh 178lbs..
Seems bang on with ENVE’s recommendations if you assume a 30mm tire on a 23mm rim is similar in volume to a 28mm tire on a 25mm rim.

Also I can’t imagine that 10-15 psi would take me from using half the sidewall to none of it. It’s just weird to me that I’ve only seen people mention riding on the sidewall as some absurdity, yet here I am. There’s another guy using a 23mm tire on this wheel. I really don’t want to go to 28s if I don’t have to because I’m not sure how well they will fit.

Are other people using this wheel really not using any sidewall? The "tread" on this tire is only about 17mm 24mm... I'm also unsure about how I would deal with an open tubular like a Corsa or turbo cotton that didn't have rubberized sidewalls

EDIT: Just measured some corsas I have lying around - they have 30mm of rubber. 6mm more than the pirellis, depite them both being marked 25c and having 71mm bead to bead carcass widths. So it looks like the pirellis just have less tread... or maybe they count on the rider using the sidewall? I'm very confused.

EDIT again: my 26c turbo pro has 30mm of rubber but only a 66mm bead-to-bead carcass width. So the pirellis have the worst tread-to-carcass ratio of my 3 tires. I’m going to measure my gatorskin also but the takeaway here is that the p zero is not suited to wide rims. Or at least, significantly less well suited than, say, a 28mm turbo, which would probably have around 32mm of tread while not being too wide.

Last edited by smashndash; 07-05-19 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-06-19, 11:47 AM
noodle soup

I can’t imagine that 10-15 psi would take me from using half the sidewall to none of it. It’s just weird to me that I’ve only seen people mention riding on the sidewall as some absurdity, yet here I am. There’s another guy using a 23mm tire on this wheel. I really don’t want to go to 28s if I don’t have to because I’m not sure how well they will fit.

Are other people using this wheel really not using any sidewall? The "tread" on this tire is only about 17mm 24mm... I'm also unsure about how I would deal with an open tubular like a Corsa or turbo cotton that didn't have rubberized sidewalls.
Adding 10-15psi is going to make a huge difference. 15psi is over a 25% increase in pressure
Old 07-06-19, 12:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Forget about the rent. The heat index is too damn high!
Old 07-06-19, 03:08 PM
smashndash

Adding 10-15psi is going to make a huge difference. 15psi is over a 25% increase in pressure
Fair enough. I went for a group ride today and ended up tapping the front rim on the lip of a driveway while turning into it. That was... surprising. Doesn’t seem like I damaged it but it’s clear that I’m going to have to raise pressures to avoid stuff like that. I’ll go up to 60 psi and see how that feels. Ironic that I’m running higher pressures with a wider rim though....

Also I ended up getting a sidewall flat off a rock. That has only happened to me once before, ever, so it’s concerning that it happened again on my first real ride with these wheels. I really hope that was a fluke. I can’t imagine higher pressures helping this.

Also I took this wheelset down a very technical descent (perhaps you remember the failing disc brake fiasco from this year’s TOC - that road) and pretty much dragged my brakes all the way because I have 0 confidence in this setup at the moment and I wasn’t really a confident descender to begin with. I know I’m not supposed to drag my brakes and I tried not to but the wheels held up fine.

Wind was more of a factor today with the higher speeds I was hitting and while it was disconcerting to know that if I took my hands off the bars, the bike would probably swerve off the road, that was really the extent of it.
Old 07-06-19, 04:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
For the sake of argument.. perhaps ignore Enve for the moment. Are you riding with tubes or tubeless?

Start with the tire sidewall ratings.. what do those say?

Here's a tubed PSI inflation calculator.. what do you get with this?

PSI Calculator

Here's a Mavic chart indicating maximums for tubeless.. how far off are you? It sounds a bit like you're trying to fix an stiff and uncomfortable bike for your style riding with tire pressure.

Seems bang on with ENVE’s recommendations if you assume a 30mm tire on a 23mm rim is similar in volume to a 28mm tire on a 25mm rim.

Also I can’t imagine that 10-15 psi would take me from using half the sidewall to none of it. It’s just weird to me that I’ve only seen people mention riding on the sidewall as some absurdity, yet here I am. There’s another guy using a 23mm tire on this wheel. I really don’t want to go to 28s if I don’t have to because I’m not sure how well they will fit.

Are other people using this wheel really not using any sidewall? The "tread" on this tire is only about 17mm 24mm... I'm also unsure about how I would deal with an open tubular like a Corsa or turbo cotton that didn't have rubberized sidewalls

EDIT: Just measured some corsas I have lying around - they have 30mm of rubber. 6mm more than the pirellis, depite them both being marked 25c and having 71mm bead to bead carcass widths. So it looks like the pirellis just have less tread... or maybe they count on the rider using the sidewall? I'm very confused.

EDIT again: my 26c turbo pro has 30mm of rubber but only a 66mm bead-to-bead carcass width. So the pirellis have the worst tread-to-carcass ratio of my 3 tires. I’m going to measure my gatorskin also but the takeaway here is that the p zero is not suited to wide rims. Or at least, significantly less well suited than, say, a 28mm turbo, which would probably have around 32mm of tread while not being too wide.
Old 07-06-19, 05:01 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
For the sake of argument.. perhaps ignore Enve for the moment. Are you riding with tubes or tubeless?

Start with the tire sidewall ratings.. what do those say?

Here's a tubed PSI inflation calculator.. what do you get with this?

PSI Calculator

Here's a Mavic chart indicating maximums for tubeless.. how far off are you? It sounds a bit like you're trying to fix an stiff and uncomfortable bike for your style riding with tire pressure.

BTW if anyone thinks I'm hijacking this thread, I'll make a new one. I just think that this is relevant because of how uniquely wide this rim is.

Thanks for all those resources. I was only quoting enve because it was one of the only charts I could find that took into account rim width and nominal tire width.

Sidewall pressure is 87psi min. Quite a bit higher than I run. I get 47/71 psi for a 40/60 split from the first link . I'm not sure if I want a 20 psi difference between my tires but let's just say just under 60 psi average. Mavic chart says they don't recommend 25mm tires on 23mm rims (for reasons that are becoming clearer to me) but if I extrapolate a little, I get 5.55bar or 80psi max. If I scale down from mavic's 220lb weight limit, that means I get 58psi. So far, seems like 60ish is the magic number.

Even though I'm running tubes, I'm not worried about pinch flats as much as I am damaging the rims - a concern that tubeless doesn't really address. And you're absolutely correct - I am trying to compensate for an uncomfortable bike with tire pressure. I would definitely run a higher pressure with no issue if the bike could take some of the edge off.

Anyway - I think I'm going to try 60psi tomorrow and see what happens. I'll do the chalk thing too. If I'm using a ton of sidewall, then I'll take it from there.
Old 07-07-19, 07:28 PM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You got the 56mm deep, 30mm wide clinchers correct? May I ask what brakes your running that are that wide? Assuming they aren't direct mount?
Hello, I have those 56mm wheels with rim brakes too (review posted on page 3 of weightweenies topic about LB). I use Campagnolo Skeleton non-series brakes (the cheapest ones), weight 314g for the pair, brake excelent. They don't have quick-releases but you won't need them anyway unless you ride tires measuring 32mm or wider.
Old 07-08-19, 12:21 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
That crankset needs to go.
Here you go --

(Centaur Ultra-Torque, 52/36)

(probably gonna tell me the white saddle is now out of place, too. Yeah yeah, when this one dies I'm switching over to a Fabric)

Last edited by superdex; 07-08-19 at 12:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.