Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Not Often That I Get Angry - However...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 11:32 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts

I recently sold all but two of my bikes. Upon attempting to collect some of them from a local bike shop, I was surprised to learn that I had already picked up my Quintanna Roo...

I did not remember doing so but one of the shop owners insisted that I did. I then thought that someone had broken into my storage area, at my cottage and took the bike.

I had already accepted the buyer' money for the seven bikes that I sold to him. Sadly, with one being stolen, I had only six left so I did the only thing that I could do, I offered a substitute of equal or greater value and he was happy with my doing so. That said...

The Quintanna Roo is/was worth about 1/4 what the substitute bike was worth. The sub, my full matched Campy ten speed Cyclops...

Fast forward to today.

This morning, an employee at the shop, told me that the bike, my Quintanna Roo, was still in the shop and showed it to me. I, apparently, had not picked it up as I was told. Now, I am out my Cyclops which I really wanted to keep. Does the shop owe me anything? I am not sure how to handle this. I will speak to one, or both, of the owners tomorrow.

What would you do?
Old 07-17-19, 11:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
call the buyer & explain. give him a chance to do the right thing & take the bike he originally paid for
Old 07-17-19, 11:39 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I'd strongly push for that Cyclops back if possible.

I know people make mistakes, but seesh! Come on, now!
Old 07-17-19, 11:50 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
call the buyer & explain. Give him a chance to do the right thing & take the bike he originally paid for
+1

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-17-19, 11:51 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
call the buyer & explain. give him a chance to do the right thing & take the bike he originally paid for
+1

Also look around for another shop.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 07-17-19, 11:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

I sold my bikes, along with a hundred others, to a buyer 1000 miles away. To deal on one bike shipment there and one back would eat up considerable value. I did give it some thought, though.

I have already run through the gambit of what I could do and what I should do. The only thing that came to mind, was sub another bike, the only one I had. The truck for the shipment was already parked at the loading site (over 100 bikes were being shipped) and there was no time to make sudden plans. My computer was at my cottage, the rest of the bikes were in the city and we were starting to load in less than an hour. I hated the upgrade to the order, but I try hard to stand by my word. And my word was seven bikes.

Now, this is not the buyer's problem and he just might say, sure, he will take the hit, and the costs to ship both bikes, and... You get my point. To that add, simply, that this was entirely the bike shop's fault for not looking carefully.

My concern now, is should I expect some form of compensation from the bike shop ? I should add that both owners are nice guys and considered to be friends.

My plan, now, is to make them aware of their mistake and see what they have to say. If they do offer to help with the mistake, I will ask for one of their not for display, or lesser, vintage bikes to be tucked away for a future project.

Anyway, not the end of the world and I am no longer angry. We all make mistakes and I am absolutely positive that there was no ill will intended with the mistake. There is certainly no ill will at my end. Just looking for a fair solution to a little problem.
Old 07-17-19, 11:58 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
You say you're sure there was no ill will on the part of the shop, so I'll take your word for it.

I do think they should do something to make this right. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by BFisher; 07-17-19 at 12:26 PM.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 07-17-19, 12:09 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Where is the Cyclops now? Where would it need to go and end up at? The C & V board has members thoughout the Americas and overseas. I'm guessing if a swap could be worked out the bikes could travel to their destinations via the BF C & V highway. In an instance like this, BF members will move the bike along it's path one leg at a time. It might take 3 or 4 months, but the bikes will get to their destinations. Think of it as a big relay. Ask for some help and people will step up.

Last edited by seypat; 07-17-19 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 12:11 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
You should talk to the owner of the shop. There has to be something that would work out so you don't loose so much from their mistake. If they want your business they will work with you , not to mention it's the right thing to do. This is unfortunate , but people make mistakes. When that happens it needs to be made equitable. IMHO Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-17-19, 12:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
@randyjawa

The shop bears the brunt of this imho, they do bikes, they may struggle a bit at times with your program with them, swapping, storing, mixing, matching, wrangling, whatever the scenario, etc.

Also, where there's smoke..... seems slightly hinky the bike showed up after you inquired about it, shouldn't it have been there all along.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-17-19, 12:40 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
I believe you when you say it was an honest mistake on the bike shop's part. You know these guys better than we do.
Hopefully they're honest enough to do the right thing. You've demonstrated what that looks like. That's a strength, not a weakness... and increasingly unexpected these days. It still happens enough however, that I refuse to give up hope.

Last edited by Hudson308; 07-17-19 at 03:17 PM.
Likes For Hudson308:
Old 07-17-19, 01:08 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
is that a picture of your cyclops? doesn't look like a 10 speed. i know that's not really an important detail, but it's weird to me that you're putting a lot of value on a bike but got such an important detail wrong in your description of it.

that said, i tend to put more of an emotional value than a monetary value on my bikes, but i'm no collector. i know every little scratch on my rides. i understand that these old bikes are mostly dollar signs to a lot of people, and that can be more important to some than anything else. still, even looking at it with money goggles, it seems like the considerable value you referenced of shipping one bike back and forth would have been less than giving up a bike 4 times the worth of the one originally purchased, but i don't pretend to know much about the worth of these old things.

one thing's for sure, i would also be trying to figure out what i would need to do to feel ok about all of this if i were in your shoes. i hope something positive comes out of it for you!

Last edited by t_e_r_r_y; 07-17-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 01:15 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
My opinion only, there are too many things in this storyline that make no sense.
Old 07-17-19, 01:28 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Easy: Ask the shop to pay for shipping to swap the Roo for the Cyclops. They probably have an account and ship bikes all the time.
Old 07-17-19, 01:42 PM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Randy, sorry this happened - I recall several posts in the past about your love of your Cyclops bikes.
Old 07-17-19, 01:45 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
is that a picture of your cyclops? doesn't look like a 10 speed. i know that's not really an important detail, but it's weird to me that you're putting a lot of value on a bike but got such an important detail wrong in your description of it.

that said, i tend to put more of an emotional value than a monetary value on my bikes, but i'm no collector. i know every little scratch on my rides. i understand that these old bikes are mostly dollar signs to a lot of people, and that can be more important to some than anything else. still, even looking at it with money goggles, it seems like the considerable value you referenced of shipping one bike back and forth would have been less than giving up a bike 4 times the worth of the one originally purchased, but i don't pretend to know much about the worth of these old things.

one thing's for sure, i would also be trying to figure out what i would need to do to feel ok about all of this if i were in your shoes. i hope something positive comes out of it for you!
Campy 10 = ten cogs in back.
Not the "10 speed" you're thinking of.
Old 07-17-19, 01:48 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Easy: Ask the shop to pay for shipping to swap the Roo for the Cyclops. They probably have an account and ship bikes all the time.
I like this -- it's an elegant solution. While I think you overshot a bit in making the buyer whole, the bike shop rightly does bear the responsibility for misinforming you. It doesn't sound like there was any malice, so just explain to the stakeholders and ask for them to help make it right. No reason for you to be left holding the bag, and you're not being greedy asking for your bike back.
Old 07-17-19, 01:56 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Originally Posted by nesteel
Campy 10 = ten cogs in back.
Not the "10 speed" you're thinking of.
cool, thanks! i even tried counting out the cogs in the photo, but it's pretty blurry and i was only counting 7.
Old 07-17-19, 02:21 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
+1 You did what you felt was right at the time, given the missing bike, but you did have an agreed upon sale that the bike shop snafued... He may not be thrilled, but swapping those bikes puts the deal back to the original terms as they were before the bike shop misplaced obe of the bikes involved. I do think the shop should cover the shipping, as they were the proximate cause.
Good luck, Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-17-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 02:39 PM
randyjawa 

Yes, the one that says Cyclops all over it is my Cyclops. And, by today's standards and descriptions, it is a ten speed. And, I am pretty darn good at describing vintage bicycles, as you might see if you take a minute to visit my website - MY "TEN SPEEDS".

As for those of you who suggested sorting it out with the shop that made the mistake. That is exactly what I hope to do. And, though I do feel bad about the whole thing, it is nothing major in my life. Who knows, they might offer me another vintage bike to help ease the pain of loosing my Cyclops. It is a truly nice looking and riding bicycle.
Old 07-17-19, 02:43 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Yes, the one that says Cyclops all over it is my Cyclops. And, by today's standards and descriptions, it is a ten speed. And, I am pretty darn good at describing vintage bicycles, as you might see if you take a minute to visit my website - MY "TEN SPEEDS".
as i stated a few times, i'm no expert with these old things. someone else already pointed out the campy 10 speed thing isn't like a typical vintage 10 speed, which is what threw me for the loop. i've tried looking at your website in the past, but having spent a lot of time as a web developer over the years, it hurts my sensibilities to spend too much time on there. cool bikes, though!
Old 07-17-19, 03:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Sorry, but my opinion is that the shop owes you nothing. Once you made the decision to substitute the Cyclops for the "missing" bike, any/ all "blame" falls on you. Expecting the shop to compensate you for your decision seems pretty lame to me. They had no bearing on your decision to make a substitution in your deal. You should have taken the loss on the "stolen" bike and/or worked out a deal with the buyer before loading the Cyclops.
While I fully appreciate you wanting to honor your word (I try to live my life where my word is my most valuable asset), sometimes reality trumps it, and agreements need to be altered accordingly.
I find it difficult that in this modern day and age you were unable to contact the buyer to notify them of the "missing" bike and to work something out before loading up a bike you knew you'd regret getting rid of.

regardless, i hope you can work something with the buyer.
I dunno - Randy has built a lot of social capital in the vintage bike world, and that’s not to be overlooked in this unique circumstance. If an error took place like this in a transaction I had with Randy, and the bike were special to him and one of a pile for me, I’d be open to talking about it with him. Other sellers, who knows, but Randy has done a lot for those of us with this hobby.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 07-17-19, 04:06 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
To that add, simply, that this was entirely the bike shop's fault for not looking carefully.
No. The shop took your bike. The shop returned your bike. Selling the bike was entirely your choice. The timing of said sale was again entirely your choice.

The shop is liable for your actions? Not legally, nor morally.

Did you compensate the shop for any storage fees? You shouldn't have to pay any storage fees after they claimed it was returned the first time.
Old 07-17-19, 04:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 3,192 Posts
I recently sold all but two of my bikes. Upon attempting to collect some of them from a local bike shop ...

I'm already lost...
Old 07-17-19, 04:44 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Originally Posted by SurferRosa

I'm already lost...
this confused me too, but then i realized op must have had a bunch of bikes at his lbs and upon selling them went to collect them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.