Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge Data Back-up

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Edge Data Back-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 03:48 AM
bgrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Edge Data Back-up

Hello fellow Garmin Users-

I switched to from a standard computer to a Garmin Edge 520 this season. I love the Edge and the data it captures. I am also a bit obsessive about tracking total miles on an annual basis as well as on a particular bike. I used to use a spreadsheet that I religiously recorded my mileage and a few other data points on after each ride. Garmin now handles that for me which is great.

I want to periodically back up the Garmin data for safe keeping and could use some suggestions. I used to just save a back up copy of my spreadsheet once a month or so. Not sure how to accomplish the equivalent since the data resides in Garmin Connect software.

Any suggestions welcome!

Bbrider
Old 05-26-16, 03:56 AM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
You can just copy the files to your PC.

Attach the Garmin to your PC and then copy all the files from <Drive Letter>:Garmin\Activities to anywhere you like.
Old 05-26-16, 04:01 AM
LAE
Arsenal FC

Bikes: Cube Peloton, Cube MTB 29r

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another longer option is to download your individual activities from the connect website.

More automatic options (I used these as im lazy) are having connect sync with Strava or Training peaks as soon as you upload a ride, I have my 520 sync and upload through my phone as soon as the ride ends automatically, a few seconds later I get the Strava "Your ride is ready" notice etc.
Old 05-26-16, 04:22 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're using Strava, there is an option on the settings page to "download all my data." This will be a big zip file with all of your rides as .gpx files. You can also download the original files from Garmin Connect, but I think you can only do it one at a time. Alternatively, Garmin Connect gives you the option to export to CSV, which can be opened and edited in Excel.
Old 07-17-19, 02:43 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
If you're on Strava this information is saved already, it tracks which bike has how many miles, and they store it on their servers.