Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1996 GT Edge Titanium - 1st made

Old 07-14-19, 02:29 PM
landobart1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1996 GT Edge Titanium - 1st made

Hello all - a 1996 GT Edge Titanium was passed down to me in perfect shape. It is apparently the first one made after 10 that were made for the 1996 US olympic team. The serial is GTE9601. It has all Dura-ace components and has less than 500 miles on it. I swapped the stem out, but have the original stem and saddle (couldn't ride the drop stem with back issues).

I race in some sprint-tris and am trying to figure out if I should use this or purchase something else for that purpose but also want to get an idea what this one is worth. This bike is great, but being a classic, I don't want to just burn through it. Also the gearing is too fast for me. I also don't want to start swapping out parts on something vintage.

If you want to see a photo, you can go to that "website" below and add the below part to the end of the url. 10 post rule won't let me post it.

/r/bicycling/comments/by9rjj/1996_gt_edge_ti_passed_down_me_apparently_the/
Old 07-14-19, 02:56 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,488 Posts
This one?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-14-19, 02:58 PM
landobart1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
This one?
That's it! Thanks for posting it up for me!
Old 07-15-19, 07:41 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Beautiful!

I have a very early aluminum one in my attic. Was given to me as a frameset and used for countless miles. I keep meaning to give it some love one day but haven't gotten to it yet

There were 3 versions, - the alloy frameset, which was the lightest and stiffest - but also fragile - mine is littered with miscellaneous dents and dings. The ti version, which was the flagship , and a very cool fillet brazed true temper steel frameset.

Since I love these bikes, I couldn't give a true objective opinion on value, but given GT's tie in to the national team and the triple triangle design plus the somewhat rare nature of these bikes I'd value it higher than an equivalent condition Merlin or Litespeed from the era
Old 07-16-19, 03:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
given GT's tie in to the national team and the triple triangle design plus the somewhat rare nature of these bikes I'd value it higher than an equivalent condition Merlin or Litespeed from the era
I would say the opposite only because the average buyer out there recognizes the Merlin and Litespeed names.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 07-16-19, 07:54 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 629 Posts
No Idea on value but I love the all hand welded look the true early Kenetiics fork is a huge plus,
Old 07-17-19, 02:18 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I would say the opposite only because the average buyer out there recognizes the Merlin and Litespeed names.
Good point

Im a nerd for specialty stuff but should realize that not everybody else is
Old 07-17-19, 07:59 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Data point: I sold my titanium Edge frameset, same size, for $600 about five years ago. I think it was number four.
As a complete build, mine had an Ouzo carbon threadless fork, a Chris King headset, and Cane Creek wheels.
Since then, prices have gone down a bunch. So today, I think one would sell for a lot less...maybe $400 for the frame and fork. Maybe.
Group is worth about the same if sold separately and if in truly outstanding condition. Maybe.

Also note that these frames had a lot of setback, so do not fit everyone well, which is why I sold mine. Nice on the flats but for me, not good on hills.