Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Dented Baramon frame

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Dented Baramon frame

Old 07-18-19, 07:33 PM
kidadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Dented Baramon frame

Hi all,

I'm interested in this frame but it does have a dent - how much should this affect the value? Asking 600 cad obo. It’s a real beauty otherwise.

Old 07-18-19, 08:58 PM
son_of_clyde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
It's subjective, but I wouldn't pay more than $350 (usd) for that frame. If you check out njs-export, you'll see that any of the dented frames there are pretty heavily discounted.
Old 07-18-19, 11:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
I wouldn't pay much for a dented frame at all. I could get a brand new frame for $600 that is not dented. For $999 I can get a semi custom made in the U.S. frame from Rodriguez as @TimothyH did.

The frame certainly looks nice and if it fits is always a nice thing but I am just not a fan of dented bikes. I bought a Cilo 531 Reynolds road frame with full Dura Ace 7400 for under $500 and I got a former Apple VeloXS race bike made by Phil Wood and Co for less than that one and neither of them were dented.

The only bike I might consider buying dented would be a Richard Sachs, Albert Eisentraut or Dario Pegoretti frame and even then the price would have to be right. I certainly wouldn't ride a dented frame very hard and would keep a close eye on it and yes probably nothing catastrophic would happen but I don't like to risk it like that on something that could very well be compromised. ATMO.

Then again if I got one of those frames I might ask Richie to repair it since he was good friends with Dario and they came up with the PegoRichie tubing.
Old 07-22-19, 11:57 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I agree with the general consensus that at 600 CAD it is overpriced. The dent, given the location, doesn't bother me that much. However, I am no metallurgist or structural engineer so take my opinion accordingly. Should you wish to fix the dent it cal likely be rolled out and/or filled but then the paint will need to be addressed. I would pass at that amount.
Old 07-22-19, 04:52 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I don't suspect it would affect how the frame rides much, but it would hit me right in the feels if I had to live with an eyesore like that on such a hot frame.