Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hit by a truck this afternoon

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hit by a truck this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 06:13 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
2005-06 ORS: 814.430 Improper use of lanes; exceptions, penalty. (1) A person commits the offense...if the person is operating a bicycle on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic...and the person does not ride as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway.

(2) [Exceptions]:
(a) When overtaking or passing...
(b) When preparing to execute a left turn.
(c) When reasonably necessary to avoid hazardous conditions....
So I have been wondering, what is the road? If there is no curb is the shoulder part of the road? In my rural area some of the major roads have a 6 to 18 inches of pavement to the right of the white line. I usually ride there unless there is glass or pieces of metal.
Old 11-11-07, 06:15 PM
LIUser22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what a dick
Old 11-11-07, 06:19 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I don't disagree with the OP or any of the respondents, I just recognize the futility of a battle they can't win. Ultimate surrender to what you can't control is the key to surviving some of the incredible asshles who you'll encounter on the open road.

That being said, here's the reality: 99.999% of drivers are completely cool or we'd all be dead. Our lives are in their hands at all times. It's the .001% that can get you. But don't think you can fight them. If you're smart and lucky, you'll avoid contact and conflict with them. Your best defense is complete and utter avoidance. I have had this approach for a very long time. It has worked for a lot of miles. I have dealt with a lot of traffic. Just sharing what works. The rest is up to you.

Suffice it so say that getting all cranked up over this will only result in your demise, nobody else's.
Old 11-11-07, 07:20 PM
atomship47
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from now on I'm going to follow the law to the letter, so the next time something like this happens, the driver won't be so lucky.
exactly why i started wearing a helmet and stopped (except in unusual circumstances) taking the lane.

what i find disturbing is that a motor vehicle operator can strike a cyclist....then take the time to yell at the victim. you'd think they'd take off to avoid arrest...or stay put and take their medicine.

sounds like in this incident, it wouldn't be too far fetched to say he negligently, if not intentionally hit you with his vehicle. i would imagine the latter would carry pretty serious consequences if convicted.

another vehicle driving too slowly in front of you....a pedestrian jay walking....etc. while it may be annoying and illegal, that shouldn't absolve another driver from hitting them.

i've heard a handful of stories like this from other cyclists. the attitude of some drivers towards cyclists is scary. sort of similar to how cars/trucks treat motorcyclists.

Last edited by atomship47; 11-11-07 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 07:26 PM
atomship47
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just an additional thought;

il just passed a law that amends/clarifies current ILCS wording. before this law, cyclists are required to ride as far to the right of the lane as possible so as to allow vehicles to overtake them without leaving the lane. there are exceptions to this. one being, 'except when the lane is too narrow......"

i used to take full liberties with this exception and would take the lanes when the road was bad near the edge or when there was little paved shoulder or when there were situations when vehicles would pass me without being able to see if there is oncoming traffic (blind curves/hills, no passing zones, etc.)

the new law clarifies the above, but also requires vehicles to leave 3' of space when passing cyclists. where i ride, there aren't lanes wide enough for drivers to keep 3' away from me and STILL remain in the lane...even if i'm riding ON the white line.
Old 11-11-07, 07:30 PM
ovrrdrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You never, ever, have the right to hit another motorist or pedestrian. The law is very clear in this. At the very least he is guilty of the same infraction as if he hit another car.

Pedestrians always have the right of way...
Old 11-11-07, 08:00 PM
mazpr
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Your best defense is complete and utter avoidance. I have had this approach for a very long time. It has worked for a lot of miles. I have dealt with a lot of traffic. Just sharing what works.
+1

Choose your battles wisely.

You were lucky he did not pull out a gun and just fill you up with lead.

Its a sour experience that makes no sense at all. I am glad you are fine and nothing big happened.
Old 11-11-07, 09:06 PM
otep12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can relate to this as I have been passed by cars a little to close that a wind draft pushes mo to the side. And mind you this happens on a four lane road with no other cars present. You were definitely hit intentionally and I admire your calmness in "just" yelling at the driver. If that was me and driver stopped and got down from the car, I would have been taking off my shoes already so I don't slip on a sure fight.

I understand Pcad's argument to just let it go but at that moment you don't even think of thinking. Your action is from impulse and may regret it later on.
Old 11-11-07, 09:37 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The way I read the law, it specifically says when the "lane" is too narrow. The Deputy agreed the 'shoulder' was too narrow to be in, therefore, I could be in the lane--but should have been as far right as possible. Of course, I'm challenging this b/c I believe the "lane" was too narrow to safely allow me and a car (and this was a full-sized pickup, too).

By the way, I think I'll be okay. His side-view mirror hit my left-upper hip bone. I'm scratched up (from jersey rub) and I feel a bruise coming on. Just glad I didn't get any more hurt--especially if it ends up that the driver is found completely faultless. Oh and my bike is fine, too (phew, right). The only damage is a small chip out of my plastic end plug, probably from scraping up against the side after getting hit. I hope I left a scratch. Maybe I should switch to metal plugs--you know, for greater damage...I mean durability.

Oh and there was a similar bill introduced in the Oregon Legislature about leaving at least 3 feet when passing bikes, but it didn't pass. One Senator is an avid bicyclist, so he may try again.
Old 11-12-07, 02:18 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The way I read the law, it specifically says when the "lane" is too narrow. The Deputy agreed the 'shoulder' was too narrow to be in, therefore, I could be in the lane--but should have been as far right as possible. Of course, I'm challenging this b/c I believe the "lane" was too narrow to safely allow me and a car (and this was a full-sized pickup, too).

By the way, I think I'll be okay. His side-view mirror hit my left-upper hip bone. I'm scratched up (from jersey rub) and I feel a bruise coming on. Just glad I didn't get any more hurt--especially if it ends up that the driver is found completely faultless. Oh and my bike is fine, too (phew, right). The only damage is a small chip out of my plastic end plug, probably from scraping up against the side after getting hit. I hope I left a scratch. Maybe I should switch to metal plugs--you know, for greater damage...I mean durability.

Oh and there was a similar bill introduced in the Oregon Legislature about leaving at least 3 feet when passing bikes, but it didn't pass. One Senator is an avid bicyclist, so he may try again.
Oregon has a law that allows YOU to file with the court to have him charged with a traffic infraction... if the police don't do anything, you might want to look into it.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-12-07, 03:30 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Dude you weren't breaking any laws. If the road was that narrow take the damn lane, no need to be squeezed by cars. There is a section of a road where I usually ride which is under construction. Not enough room for bike and car to share, so I always take the lane, and pull to a side once clear of construction.
The driver was 100% in the wrong. If you remember his license plate file charges against him.
So about 41 miles into my 50 mile ride, riding alone, 8 or so mph head wind halfway up a little hill, near the middle of the narrow lane on a shoulder-less rural Independence Highway outside Corvallis at about 15 mph when...

This full-sized truck comes right on my tail and starts honking at me. As we crest the hill I can see the blinking red light signifying the intersection with busy Hwy 20 about a mile or 2 away and there are NO cars coming head on. I give him the go-around signal and he honks again.

So I give him a different hand signal. Rather than going in the other lane, he tries passing me in mine and hits me with his right side-view mirror and I scrape against his truck. Luckily the mirror was a break-away and I manage to stay upright.

He hits the breaks to tell me I was in his lane and that I'm supposed to be on the shoulder (which, by the way, is about a foot and a half of pavement, 6 inches of gravel, then heavy vegetation.

After a little more yelling at each other I ride off. Realizing that I just once again put myself in front of a car that hit me, I pull over way into the grass so he can go by. Instead, he drives up into the shoulder, gets out and continues to yell at me about how I was in his lane. I yell back that the narrow shoulder is not a bike lane and he had the entire other lane to pass me. As he's walking away I tell him I'm calling the cops and he drives off.

After it's all said and done, I was breaking the law by not being as far over to the side as possible even though there is barely enough room to fit a truck and a bike in the lane. I'm not mad anymore and I realize that I should have been over further, but does that give this guy the right to get so close that I get hit? Even though I don't feel as safe hugging the line of a narrow lane (especially after several near-misses from cars not getting over trying to share the lane while I'm on the edge), from now on I'm going to follow the law to the letter, so the next time something like this happens, the driver won't be so lucky.

I've learned something and hopefully after the Sheriff's Deputy talks to him again, he'll learn something, too.

Be careful out there.
Old 11-12-07, 03:41 AM
ovrrdrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Dude you weren't breaking any laws. If the road was that narrow take the damn lane, no need to be squeezed by cars. There is a section of a road where I usually ride which is under construction. Not enough room for bike and car to share, so I always take the lane, and pull to a side once clear of construction.
The driver was 100% in the wrong. If you remember his license plate file charges against him.
Good Advice...

I see people make that mistake on motorcycles all the time too. Never give up the lane. As soon as you give them almost enough room to get by you they'll take it and just assume there's enough room there.
Old 11-12-07, 07:39 AM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
You never, ever, have the right to hit another motorist or pedestrian. The law is very clear in this. At the very least he is guilty of the same infraction as if he hit another car.

Pedestrians always have the right of way...
In Houston you can.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
hcda%20redacted.pdf (28.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-12-07, 07:49 AM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scattered73
In Houston you can.
That is BS! A driver can hit a bike and leave the scene; how is a car different?!?!? Did the papers read that? Perhaps in an op-ed piece they should...right???
Old 11-12-07, 09:02 AM
not2blu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a cop treats me like a car (i.e. tickets me for rolling a stop) then everybody else better treat me like a car. When there is no bike lane or only a narrow shoulder, I take up the entire lane. It's usually not a problem. Like you, I recognize when somebody behind is trying to get around and I do my best to let them through. But again, you have the right to use the entire lane if you need to.
Old 11-12-07, 09:08 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
You never, ever, have the right to hit another motorist or pedestrian. The law is very clear in this.
Uh huh.

What the law states and how it is enforced are utterly disconnected when it comes to cyclists and motorcyclists in encounters with cars. Disturbingly and consistently.
Old 11-12-07, 12:49 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Oregon has a law that allows YOU to file with the court to have him charged with a traffic infraction... if the police don't do anything, you might want to look into it.
Can you please point me to this law? The Deputy is being fair, but I'd like the option. Don't worry, I have the license number.
Old 11-12-07, 12:57 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
OP, what is wrong with you?

The officer is being fair?

THE DRIVER OF THE TRUCK HIT YOU. THEN HE FLED THE SCENE.

This deputy isn't doing you any favors. The as*hole driver should be in cuffs.
Old 11-12-07, 01:15 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep

I honestly don't think the guy purposely hit me, but I don't think he was trying to give me any room at all either. My only chance right now is to prove the lane was too narrow for both of us, that he invaded my lane, resulting in the collision.
Old 11-12-07, 01:17 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep

You're right, he did leave after I said I was calling the cops, so I will be pursuing "hit and run", since it doesn't matter whether he is found at fault or not.
Old 11-12-07, 01:28 PM
revolator
ROAD enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
imo

This is a law suit country. If you had a suit where there was a altercation between a truck and a bicycle, unless your lawyer screws up, or you screw up, I would think the odds are to your favor, even with what has been said. Someone got $$$ from McDonalds on "too hot" a temp on coffee.

I don't advocate frivolous law suits, someone doesn't have the right to endanger someone elses life just because their pissed off. I think that's where the message that most people would want to send in a court of law.
Old 11-12-07, 02:36 PM
Tri-FatBoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Again, part of being a roadie is understanding that in the Cars Vs. Bikes Wars the cyclist always loses, gets badly injured or killed. The motorist always skates. Deal with that and move on, but most importantly ride accordingly. If that strikes you as unacceptable, take up mountain biking.

All this activism slays me. Codes, laws, who was at fault, 911, police reports, ad nauseum. Good grief you pathetic bike weenies NOBODY gives a ****. NOBODY, NOBODY, NOBODY. Can you change this?

No.
And it's attitudes like this that prevent things from changing. Normally I agree with most of your opinions pcad, but here I have to differ. If we don't do anything, nothing will change.
Old 11-12-07, 02:42 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Tri-FatBoy
And it's attitudes like this that prevent things from changing. Normally I agree with most of your opinions pcad, but here I have to differ. If we don't do anything, nothing will change.
Correct.

Wait, that's not quite accurate. Some of us will be killed. No charges will be filed. That's change.

I will leave the Cyclist vs. The Universe battles to you guys. In the meantime I'll be riding my bike and hoping some text messaging drunken 22 year old doesn't flatten me. And if one does flatten me, they can count on the Mother of All Civil Suits being filed by me (or my survivors). Does that make me 'lawsuit happy'?

I need Fredcedrin and a shot of Imbecillian.
Old 11-12-07, 02:42 PM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is getting caught up in too much technicality.

No one is ever in the right for hitting a cyclist.
Old 11-12-07, 02:48 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by munkyv22
No one is ever in the right for hitting a cyclist.
And yet nobody ever gets in trouble for doing it either. You're all friggin meat out there boys.

I love spreading doom and gloom, particularly during the Holiday Season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.