Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Replacement Mafac Brake Lever Hoods?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-05-16, 08:03 AM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts

I've looked at Rustines and Cane Creek offerings. Need black full covers for Competition levers.

Any other options? What has worked for you?

TIA
Old 02-05-16, 01:13 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
vtchuck-

I've mentioned Jordi at Reciclone before regarding replacement hoods. He offers Mafac branded reproduction hoods in gum and black here. They are hand made and nice quality. A full review is here if you wish to read up on them. He also makes the half lever covers. The photo below is as shipped and unpacked.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shipping Box.jpg (94.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-05-16, 01:29 PM
Camplex

Bikes: Vitus 979, 1981 Peugeot Super Competition PXN10E, Peugeot P18T, Crescent Pepita Special 318 Rando, 1984 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, Soma Grand Randonneur V.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ordered both the black and the gum-colored Rustines hoods from VO. I was pleased with the results. They fit well, are easy to put on, and feel great. The rubber is an excellent quality material, thick and resilient. I can recommend them without reserve. I plan on ordering from Reciclone, I think the hoods offered by Jordi are beautiful and faithful reproductions. My only hesitation thus far has been shipping costs + timing but I think in the end it is very much worth the cost + the wait. I mean, even that box is sexy looking!
Old 02-05-16, 01:55 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by vtchuck
I've looked at Rustines and Cane Creek offerings. Need black full covers for Competition levers.

Any other options? What has worked for you?

TIA
I recently got the Rustines gum covers. The look great, fit perfectly and feel nice.

This may or man not matter to you but: the rubber appears to be the same natural type as found in vintage hoods, whereas most modern repros use synthetic. If you want black this may not really matter, but brown dyed synthetic just does not look like 'gum' to me.
Old 02-05-16, 07:23 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
The Reciclone website is dysfunctional, as the English language and Dollar currency selections don't actually do anything.

The site shows pictures of bags and such, but "accessories" are limited to just three items, including a tubular tire carrier and cheap cotter pins.
Old 02-05-16, 07:34 PM
CuttersRidge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe there was just a thread in November/December on fashioning one's own brake hoods, it may have been in regards to an Italian brake but worth considering; I've seen others fashion their own brake-hoods via different methods and actually, it is not that difficult, just difficult to explain. That thread should almost be stickied.