Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Electra Moto 3i longer term review????

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Electra Moto 3i longer term review????

Old 06-21-17, 04:37 AM
da_yo

Bikes: 2016 Trek Fuel EX 8; 2016 Electra Moto 3i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alfine Hub should work, you would have to get the rear wheel relaced with that hub just don't know if it can take the torque when climbing but for around town or out on flat roads should be fine. That's how my bike started for around town but ended up taking the abuse from different type of riding, I know it wasn't intended to be ridden how I ride it. I still love my Moto, it's like a favorite old shoe that just still fits right. Anything is possible with the Moto.
Old 06-21-17, 04:57 AM
da_yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, my new wheels with the 10 speed cassette on the Moto, the Moto now weighs 25 lbs. The original wheel with the 3 speed hub is noticeably heavier than my Blunt 35 wheel with 10 speed cassette.
Old 06-21-17, 06:16 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by da_yo
BTW, my new wheels with the 10 speed cassette on the Moto, the Moto now weighs 25 lbs. The original wheel with the 3 speed hub is noticeably heavier than my Blunt 35 wheel with 10 speed cassette.
Love to see it. What do you use for a der hanger?
Old 06-21-17, 07:05 PM
da_yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Problem Solvers Chain Tensioner with Derailleur Hanger
IMG_20170405_172620.jpg

IMG_20170418_210126.jpg

IMG_20170621_180627.jpg

Last edited by da_yo; 06-21-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 09:01 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
What about using an Alfine hub? The bike already has the cable routing for IGH from the factory.

It doesn't seem cost effective. An 8 or 11 spd hub with a new shifter,cog, ect ect. Is most of the way to another bike.
Old 06-30-17, 11:24 PM
da_yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it was left over parts from my other bike and parts I got were parts I wanted, not crappy parts that the manufacture put on, and also parts that broke or wore out along the way. It's not like I bought the bike brand new and replaced everything right off the bat. I guess to each their own.
Old 07-01-17, 04:58 AM
cs1

Originally Posted by JehD
It doesn't seem cost effective. An 8 or 11 spd hub with a new shifter,cog, ect ect. Is most of the way to another bike.
True but the other bike isn't this bike. We're talking specifically about the Electra. Which is a very cool ride. Personally I'd rather have a derailleur. But the i3 version of the Moto is already IGH ready.
Old 07-02-17, 09:27 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by da_yo
For me it was left over parts from my other bike and parts I got were parts I wanted, not crappy parts that the manufacture put on, and also parts that broke or wore out along the way. It's not like I bought the bike brand new and replaced everything right off the bat. I guess to each their own.

No, don't get me wrong. I like what you did to the bike and if/when stuff wears out I would do the same thing. This is how I wished they did the bike from day one, or at least had an option for.

On one end I love the simplicity if the bike and the overall style. It reminds me of the Trek Sawyer. I loved the look of that bike. On the other after riding it a bit I wish they had offered it with a few more gears like a 5 or 7. The low is just not low enough for me.

I was really responding to CS1 about just upgrading to another IGH hub with more gears. To just do that outright with a new hub, sprocket, spokes (if they are not the same), labor and then add in a shifter for 5-7 ect. then its not cost effective. Quick guess would be another $4-500 some of those hubs are expensive and I have a feeling they wouldn't hold up to any real abuse so going a 1x10 would be the way to go.

Gotta say I do like your bike.

EDIT - after rereading my post I'm kinda waffling but I do like it both ways simple but with gears lol.
Old 07-02-17, 10:23 AM
da_yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol thanks.
It's been a fun ride with the Moto, that's what my riding buddies call it. Now that I got my Fuel running again, my rear wheel bearings were shot, I started to put my slick tires back on the Moto and noticed my 4 month old wheels dented from all the mountain biking abuse it took, while my FS bike was down. I guess the wheels take a beating on a full rigid vs a full suspension, cause my Fuel's wheels have no such dents and those wheels are a 1.5 years old and have gone through some rough stuff, rock gardens, jumps and crashes.
Old 07-02-17, 02:40 PM
JehD

If I had to guess your riding it just "a little bit harder" than the manufacturers expected. Maybe more than the random curb or two. Its nice to know the frame holds up.

I'm going to take mine down to the local ski area Sandia Peak Ski & Tramway - Mountain Bike Trails and run it down with a friend. I haven't gone in more years than I want to mention and the last time I took an unsuspended bike....HOLD ON .. a Roadmaster ATB (C1992 vintage) I crashed and bent the frame. Not really a surprise though is it?

EDIT: Well Dammit I just saw its closed this Summer for construction. It may be for the best though as I really like the bike and would hate to kill it. The local Trek Store were I bought it said they only sold this 1. So this gives me a year to look for something with a fork and a few more gears.
Old 07-02-17, 07:28 PM
da_yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost took it to our local bike park last Sunday at Big Bear / Snow Summit but since my FS was up and running my buddies told me to quit with the Moto while I was ahead with it. The frame can take it, the Moto frame is pretty strong.
Old 07-03-17, 03:36 AM
cs1

I was really responding to CS1 about just upgrading to another IGH hub with more gears. To just do that outright with a new hub, sprocket, spokes (if they are not the same), labor and then add in a shifter for 5-7 ect. then its not cost effective. Quick guess would be another $4-500 some of those hubs are expensive.
I understand and agree about the cost factor. Sometimes there just isn't another alternative to a certain bike. The Moto stands alone as an AL framed retro cruiser. Micargi and the like aren't in the same league. If you want to use a derailleur start with the less expensive version. No need to pay for extras your going to toss.
Old 07-03-17, 12:16 PM
da_yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I am able to post links to YouTube.
Moto in action, the trail looks smooth in the video but it's not and the beginning is downhill and on the video it looks flat. No thing big, just some runs my buddies got me on video.

https://youtu.be/OGiE4P-7X88

https://youtu.be/pLQE4VzBBHo

https://youtu.be/d2uHqTsMNrk
Old 03-04-18, 04:49 AM
cs1

You're right, as it turns out Electra must have been reading our minds. They made an Alfine 8 with 650B wheels for 2018.
Old 03-30-19, 11:15 AM
JoeHoe

Bikes: Electra Moto 3i

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and not a native speaker so please excuse my language.

I found this forum while looking for help concerning my Electra Moto 3i.

So here's the thing: last year I bought the Moto and I really fell in love with it. Its super easy to drive and pretty fast. Just perfect for my pretty flat hometown. I use it almost every day, for my way to work and almost anywhere else.

Then one day, only a month or so after the purchase, I had an accident. While going up a small steep the gear seemed to block (without shifting) and at the same moment the chain jumped off. I fell off the bike and I was lucky the driver behind me reacted very quickly. I brought the bike back to the shop and they checked everything. When I got it back they told me that they adjusted the gearbox and it should be fine. And it was, atleast until today.

During winter I stored the bike in my cellar and today I took it for a short ride. Everything seemed fine until suddenly it blocked again, then it worked for a short time just to block again. Seems like the first gear doesn't work at all abymore and the other two do work and then they don't.

I'll bring the bike to the shop on monday to be checked again but I would love to hear what you guys think. Do I need a new gear box? Has anybody experienced something similar? Honestly I'm a little concerned that if it happens again I won't be as lucky as at my last unintentional stunt.

It's my first bike from Electra and my first one with that kind of gearbox.

Other than that problem I still love this bike especially because its so simplistic .

Hope somebody has some kind of advice.

​​​
Old 03-30-19, 06:20 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeHoe
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and not a native speaker so please excuse my language.

I found this forum while looking for help concerning my Electra Moto 3i.

So here's the thing: last year I bought the Moto and I really fell in love with it. Its super easy to drive and pretty fast. Just perfect for my pretty flat hometown. I use it almost every day, for my way to work and almost anywhere else.

Then one day, only a month or so after the purchase, I had an accident. While going up a small steep the gear seemed to block (without shifting) and at the same moment the chain jumped off. I fell off the bike and I was lucky the driver behind me reacted very quickly. I brought the bike back to the shop and they checked everything. When I got it back they told me that they adjusted the gearbox and it should be fine. And it was, atleast until today.

During winter I stored the bike in my cellar and today I took it for a short ride. Everything seemed fine until suddenly it blocked again, then it worked for a short time just to block again. Seems like the first gear doesn't work at all abymore and the other two do work and then they don't.

I'll bring the bike to the shop on monday to be checked again but I would love to hear what you guys think. Do I need a new gear box? Has anybody experienced something similar? Honestly I'm a little concerned that if it happens again I won't be as lucky as at my last unintentional stunt.

It's my first bike from Electra and my first one with that kind of gearbox.

Other than that problem I still love this bike especially because its so simplistic .

Hope somebody has some kind of advice.

​​​
Learn how to keep your hub correctly adjusted,...

Old 04-01-19, 12:22 AM
da_yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read my previous post about ditching the original wheels, notch the frame and install a derailleur hanger, rear derailleur and cassette and of course get new wheels . That's the reason why I did it , same thing that happened to you happens to me. The internal 2nd gear broke inside the hub on me. You can do what I did or keep buying that same original wheel with i3 hub. Good luck