Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame design decisions - your opinions?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Frame design decisions - your opinions?

Old 04-17-19, 07:49 AM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've been using oxy (via medical oxygen concentrator)/propane for over 5 years exclusively. Fillet brazing. No problems. News to me if it isn't suitable.
Old 04-17-19, 10:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
David- Now that you know that you have been doing the wrong thing for so long should we expect a recall on your frames? Andy (who is trying to not bite his tongue).
Old 04-17-19, 02:38 PM
David Tollefson

I'll just send out a mass email to all of my customers. "In the case of propane-use induced frame failures, survivors should contact me directly at..."
Old 04-19-19, 07:57 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Cue Doug Fattic
I’ve come to prefer oxypropane more than oxyacetylene for any framebuilding application including fillet brazing as long as I am using the best propane specific brazing equipment. This was reinforced recently when a student came to make a fillet brazed transportation style of frame in a one week class. He already has an oxyacetylene setup so we started out using mine. He wanted to try propane after learning of its cost savings and buying convenience. It wasn’t long before he preferred it for brazing too – especially fillet brazing. It had been awhile since I had used acetylene to fillet braze (which I started using in 1975) and realized I prefer a multi-port propane flame pattern as well. I started using propane as a fuel in 2004 when we began to build transportation style frames ourselves for a charity project in Ukraine after the XB3 factory in the city of Kharkov stopped making the kind of frames we needed.

However, it is necessary to use propane specific equipment (especially multi-port tips) to get the sharpest and most stable flame pattern. I'll post pictures and explanations in a new separate subject thread so it is easier to refer back to when researching information in the future.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 04-19-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-19-19, 09:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Thanks Doug
Old 05-16-19, 12:25 PM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
The frame has been back from the painters for a few days, built into a bike and ridden twice. Pic below and more on 'show us your builds'

I have to say I am more pleased with it than I expected to be. The 'blemishes' hardly show after powder coating and handling is just how I want it. Cornering is precise - no wandering, over-steer (wheel flop?) or under-steer, it feels very natural.
The ride is stiffer than my other bikes (as expected and intended) which I guess is what helps the handling. I did not expect this bike to be my first choice for longer rides, but after a fast 70 mile club ride yesterday, over a lot of poor road surfaces I didnt feel any more beat up than normal, so maybe it is good for a century or two.

My last build 15 years ago was completed with the help of little more than a couple of books, it was all a bit of a leap in the dark. The internet and this forum have made this build a completely different experience - for the better :-)

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

I already have plans for my next build but will be riding this one for a while before taking the plunge.

Mike

Likes For mikeread:
Old 05-16-19, 03:14 PM
David Tollefson

Nice!