Looking for bike trails in Houston to ride with my daughter

Old 09-04-18, 10:01 AM
deathcrow76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking for bike trails in Houston to ride with my daughter

As the title says, I'm looking for any bike trails to ride in Houston (mainly west side). I see there are trails along the bayous - I will definately try those. Isn't there a trail through the Heights? If so, how is it? We have cruisers btw so nothing too bumpy or off-road. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 09-04-18, 12:06 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
There are hike and bike trails all over Houston, mostly running east-west along the bayous. Here's a good place to look for them: Houston Trails and Maps

The Heights trail is mostly smooth concrete, well suited to cruisers.
Old 09-04-18, 12:11 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Google Maps with the Bicycling option shows trails and bike friendly roads. You have to zoom in at least to the "10 mile" or "5 mile" scale to see the lines appear. Zoom way in on a trail, and the name repeats on the green line, so you can look up that name to find more details.

It's a quick way to prospect for trails to visit.

Dark green lines are paved trails.
Dotted lines are bike friendly roads.
Brown lines are unpaved trails.

Some trails are starting to get Street View, so it's worth dragging the little orange guy to see if the trail is included.
Old 09-04-18, 12:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
For a second I thought that said trials bike, which would be a totally different thread topic!

strava heat map
MTB Project app
Old 09-04-18, 02:53 PM
deathcrow76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it, looking forward to riding soon
Old 09-06-18, 09:21 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Terry Hershey Park, George Bush Park/Barker Reservoir are 100% off-street protected. Same for Buffalo Bayou west of downtown.
Heights bike trail is mostly off street but you do have to stop several times to cross some roads.
Old 09-10-18, 08:52 PM
deathcrow76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Terry Hershey Park, George Bush Park/Barker Reservoir are 100% off-street protected. Same for Buffalo Bayou west of downtown.
Heights bike trail is mostly off street but you do have to stop several times to cross some roads.
where would a good place to park be for the Heights Trail? thanks!
Old 09-11-18, 07:58 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by deathcrow76
where would a good place to park be for the Heights Trail? thanks!
I wouldn't drive there to ride a bike. I ride there on my bike, but it isn't really a "destination" kind of experience.

What part of town are you starting from?
Old 09-12-18, 10:12 AM
deathcrow76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by memebag
I wouldn't drive there to ride a bike. I ride there on my bike, but it isn't really a "destination" kind of experience.

What part of town are you starting from?
I live sw of Houston, I would be coming up 59. I like the vibe in the Heights so I still wanna ride the area at least once
Old 09-12-18, 10:15 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I live sw of Houston, I would be coming up 59. I like the vibe in the Heights so I still wanna ride the area at least once
OK, but if you know the area, you know there's not a ton of free parking when stuff is open.
Old 09-12-18, 11:25 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
There is a little park sort of a thing just off 11th ST near TC Jester that has a bike path leading from it which connects to the White Oak Bayou Trail which will take you south to the Heights trail not too far from the west terminus of the Heights trail. Or, you can take the trail farther and intersect the Heights Trail near Stude Park, though the link to the Stude Park trails doesn't exist because of the Corp of Engineers. If you look at the Google, it is right at the intersection of Bryce and Woodbrook. There is parking there and I've seen people park for biking but never very many at once. There is some sort of facility there for the Houston Sewer/water system but no offices or anything, just free parking. From there you can also ride over and get on the White Oak trail going north. See the google bike maps.

There is parking near Lawrence Park which is real close to N Shephard and 7th St and the bike path runs by the park.

There is parking near Stude Park . From there you can take the bike path towards downtown or you can take it part way and circle back on the Spring St trail which will take you through the "Sawyer Heights Village"/Target shopping center and back into the Heights Trail.

There is lots of parking around the Sawyer Heights/Target thingie.

If you just want to tool around the Heights, there is a lot of parking at Woodland Park. Entrance is just east of Houston Ave on Parkview.

Last edited by desconhecido; 09-12-18 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 12:25 PM
deathcrow76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by desconhecido
There is a little park sort of a thing just off 11th ST near TC Jester that has a bike path leading from it which connects to the White Oak Bayou Trail which will take you south to the Heights trail not too far from the west terminus of the Heights trail. Or, you can take the trail farther and intersect the Heights Trail near Stude Park, though the link to the Stude Park trails doesn't exist because of the Corp of Engineers. If you look at the Google, it is right at the intersection of Bryce and Woodbrook. There is parking there and I've seen people park for biking but never very many at once. There is some sort of facility there for the Houston Sewer/water system but no offices or anything, just free parking. From there you can also ride over and get on the White Oak trail going north. See the google bike maps.

There is parking near Lawrence Park which is real close to N Shephard and 7th St and the bike path runs by the park.

There is parking near Stude Park . From there you can take the bike path towards downtown or you can take it part way and circle back on the Spring St trail which will take you through the "Sawyer Heights Village"/Target shopping center and back into the Heights Trail.

There is lots of parking around the Sawyer Heights/Target thingie.

If you just want to tool around the Heights, there is a lot of parking at Woodland Park. Entrance is just east of Houston Ave on Parkview.
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to help me out! I can't wait till the weather clears up so we can try all the different trails
Old 09-17-18, 04:35 AM
SAGit

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Sugar Land Memorial Park and Festival Park. There is a paved bike path which runs along University Blvd and turns into sidewalk path in Riverstone. The Brazos River Park/ Festival has some paths near the water tower. It's located next to a Mtb trails that run along the river.
Old 10-28-18, 08:11 PM
Ksoika

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This weekend my daughters and I took the Light Rail to the Burnett TC Casa Des Amigos stop (where there’s a large free parking lot) and then we rode on the White Oak Bayou Trail and Market Trail (followed google maps) in to the Heights. I wanted to go vote off 15th, so we also turned north onto the trail on Nicholson Street. It was easy and some of the safest biking we’ve experienced in Houston!