Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Handlebar freedom

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Handlebar freedom

Old 09-10-18, 01:02 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Handlebar freedom

It has become rare view, but some people still hang lots of plastic bags on their handlebar etc. Like a circus act. But I don’t mind. Biking equals freedom :-)

Must admit: I use my handlebar as a drying / coat rack sometimes.
Old 10-19-18, 10:12 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I prefer a front rack / basket. I bike has to be able to work, as in possibly carrying stuff. I discovered that the basket / trays in those roto molded coolers makes for a great basket paired with a rack time front rack. Those trays / baskets are low profile being only 3.5 inches high and come in some smaller sizes and different shapes which is great in my eyes as I usually don't carry much but always carry at minimum a bagged bike lock. My fear on grocery bags or other plastic bags hanging on the bars is that one will split open and of course it will happen at the worst possible time. Yeti and Canyon coolers are 2 that have the baskets inside but there are many more brands out there.
Old 10-20-18, 04:36 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
According to local stats, about 8% of all reported bicycle accidents with a stated reason are caused by clothing, accessories or cargo getting caught in the moving parts of the bicycle.
The amount of shopping lost due to spokes ripping a bag open is unknown.
Hanging bags off the bar can be ever so tempting, but needs to be done with due concern unless you want to join one of the more avoidable parts of the accident statistics.
Old 03-08-19, 10:59 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
According to local stats, about 8% of all reported bicycle accidents with a stated reason are caused by clothing, accessories or cargo getting caught in the moving parts of the bicycle.
The amount of shopping lost due to spokes ripping a bag open is unknown.
Hanging bags off the bar can be ever so tempting, but needs to be done with due concern unless you want to join one of the more avoidable parts of the accident statistics.
curious on the stats there.... how many accidents do cyclists get in when carrying stuff and the bag rips open and the rider just stops there to pick things up and not pulling over to get out of traffic then picking things up while observing if there's anything worth picking up since it could have been damaged by other traffic.
Old 03-08-19, 11:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I have a really simple approach to the front end of a bike: that everything from just behind the headtube forward is "sacred apace". Anything I add there gets real scrutiny. Is it absoluteely safe? Is it absolutely safe if I space on looking at it? Is it necessary? Can I make absolutely secure?

I've lived through a fork breaking, I've seen what can a happen. I used to cringe at what my mom decorated her HBs with. Then one day she did a face plant for no apparent reason at all. I'm virtually certain it was her flimsy bag. Cost her the embouchure of a really good flute player. She never got it back.

I gave up on handlebar bags many years ago. I do clamp on lights and computers. Other than that, my handlebars are (save CX levers on one bike) clean. I'll admit I'm pretty casual with the drop-on Ortlieb panniers. Them coming off has never caused any issues more than requiring me to stop. And if you fasten the strap that runs over the top, nothing can get into the wheel.

Ben
Old 03-08-19, 11:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by ocsawdust
curious on the stats there.... how many accidents do cyclists get in when carrying stuff and the bag rips open and the rider just stops there to pick things up and not pulling over to get out of traffic then picking things up while observing if there's anything worth picking up since it could have been damaged by other traffic.
I look at what people are riding and those statistics don't surprise me at all. Accidents waiting to happen. Now if a car happens to be behind, that could be bad. I learned many years ago that those riders are (for the majority) NOT interested in a Lycra clad hotshot pointing out the risk so I go on and say a quiet good word for them.

Ben.