Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Help Selling Dad's Fixed Gear

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 08:50 PM
bobcat377spawn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I'm not sure where the best place to post is, but none of the other categories seem to match what I need.
My father, Bob Ford, was a member of this group--username bobcat377. In one post I've found from 2007, he gave advice for doing a 200K ride.
Dad died in 2011 while he was out on a ride (quickly--heart attack). He has a number of bicycles that my mother is ready to sell.
I have taken pictures of a fixed gear bike as an example. How do I determine a decent selling price? What info do I need to provide to buyers? Is this marketplace the best place? The bikes are in Fort Worth. When I looked into this a couple of years ago, the local bike swap meets had been discontinued.

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. This link should take you to pics I took of his orange fixed gear.

Thank you,
Natalie
Old 11-25-18, 09:41 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your dad. From what I can see it looks like that bike has some pretty nice components on it (Chris King headset, continental tires, ritchey stem, brooks saddle?). These are a little bit on the expensive side, and should help with the selling price. Paint looks to be in nice condition too. I can't give you a good idea of what it's worth, but one thing you may want to find out is what the crankset (front gears) brand is, and what the rear cog (rear gear) brand is. Also, take a measurement from the center of the crankset to the middle of the top tube (in cm). That is used to determine sizing, and will help potential riders determine if the bike will fit or not. Good luck,

David
Old 11-26-18, 10:23 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
The Milwaukee Cycles Orange One frames were made by Waterford Precision Cycles, and sold by Ben's Cycles in Milwaukee. They are very nice frames. I'm guessing that the build was custom, so I can't speak to price. The frames sell/sold for about $750 new.

Here's a link that shows all the frame's measurements -- pick which size, based on the center-to-center measurement of the seat tube. Any of this information would be helpful when selling.
Old 11-26-18, 11:19 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad, we probably rode some of the same roads. Yes, that frame is made in the USA by Waterford and the saddle looks like a Brooks. The freewheel (gear on the rear wheel with the red thingy) looks like it's a White Industries brand, which costs close to $100 and is the best. It's a very nice higher end bike. If I was still home in FTW I would buy it. It needs a lot of cleaning and polishing, probably new tires ect. but maybe you could try putting it on Craigslist for $500 and see who bites?

Old 11-26-18, 03:30 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about your loss bud, chin up and good luck. you've got this.
Old 11-30-18, 08:51 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobcat377spawn
Hi. I'm not sure where the best place to post is, but none of the other categories seem to match what I need.
My father, Bob Ford, was a member of this group--username bobcat377. In one post I've found from 2007, he gave advice for doing a 200K ride.
Dad died in 2011 while he was out on a ride (quickly--heart attack). He has a number of bicycles that my mother is ready to sell.
I have taken pictures of a fixed gear bike as an example. How do I determine a decent selling price? What info do I need to provide to buyers? Is this marketplace the best place? The bikes are in Fort Worth. When I looked into this a couple of years ago, the local bike swap meets had been discontinued.

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. This link should take you to pics I took of his orange fixed gear.

Thank you,
Natalie
I'll echo the others in saying that looks like a nice bike. I can't offer much on selling it. If you really want to haul it off to a swap meet, Bike Friendly Fort Worth is the group that put on the meets at Rahr & Son, they could tell you if and when their next event will be. We had one here in Arlington at Legal Draft in February, but that is not a regular event.
Old 11-30-18, 08:55 AM
bobcat377spawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. I'll take the measurements this weekend. I appreciate the reply!
Old 11-30-18, 08:56 AM
bobcat377spawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, this is fabulous! Thank you so much!
Old 11-30-18, 08:57 AM
bobcat377spawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you -- and yes, I'll do some more clean up
Old 11-30-18, 08:57 AM
bobcat377spawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I will contact them. This bike is just one of many we have to sell.