Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt users - ever lost a ride?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-14-19, 11:15 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

So I'm close to buying my first modern bike computer. Yeah, behind the times, have just been using phone-based Strava for years but now want to watch some numbers while riding.
I have been weighing Wahoo vs Garmin for a while and the one thing that keeps hanging me up is people talking about their Garmin crashing/rebooting/etc midride or while uploading and losing ride data. Strava has only messed up one ride for me ever, so >99% reliability and I'm having a hard time with the chance of this happening.

Of course, there are far more Garmin users out there so maybe I just haven't heard of the Wahoo issues?

Thus, I'm curious about Wahoo users (specifically the Elemnt, but Bolt and Roam users also) if you have ever had Wahoo lose or otherwise mangle your ride data? Can I expect Wahoo to save and successfully upload my ride data 99.9% of the time?
Old 06-14-19, 11:43 AM
mac_flyer9

Bikes: 2002 Airborne Manhattan Project / 2019 Trek Domane SLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I have an Elemnt Bolt and love it. Simple to use, no touch screen problems, works with my Di2 hidden buttons and I have yet to lose any data. Highly recommend.
Old 06-14-19, 11:48 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I've had the Bolt since January and when it doesn't sync after a ride, all you need to do is open the elemnt app and it will sync right away. I upgraded from the Garmin 520 and I prefer the Bolt.
Old 06-14-19, 11:59 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Nope.
Old 06-14-19, 12:35 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Had the Bolt since it came out and never lost anything. Not to bash on Garmin, but I've had issues losing rides/freezing with a Forerunner 235, 610 and Edge 1000. I'm sure others have had nothing but good experiences with Garmin products.
Old 06-14-19, 12:42 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Nope. Never.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-14-19, 12:53 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Never had my Bolt lose/corrupt a ride. Goes to Strava fine, every time so far since I bought it.

Welcome change from the Edges 205/305/705/1000..... that caused the Fit File Repair Tool to have to be 3rd-party written by a random German software engineer for MS Access....because Garmin could not be bothered to support their hardware and software properly.
Old 06-14-19, 12:55 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Never lost a ride and never lost my screen or needed a reboot mid-ride. Been using it since December '18 and have clocked 50 rides so far.
Old 06-14-19, 03:30 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I have over 22,000 miles on my Elemnt and never lost a ride because of it. It works nicely with the app on my Pixel 3 XL and all the phones I had before.
Old 06-14-19, 04:17 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
To be fair to Garmin, I've only ever had one corrupted ride in the year that I've had my Edge 520. It chewed up a good portion of that ride but kept overall stats like total work and distance, so it autocalculated a new FTP of 24 W/kg and average moving speed of 155 mph.
Old 06-14-19, 05:13 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Have never had an issue in 2+ years with my Bolt. Have never used Garmin though.
Old 06-14-19, 05:44 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
This is my second season with the ELEMNT Mini. I’ve never lost a ride.
Old 06-14-19, 10:13 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by blazin
Have never had an issue in 2+ years with my Bolt.
Me too. I had it happen many times with my old Garmin 510.
Old 06-15-19, 05:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Completely? No, but I did have an issue where it lost position for an hour or more. This happened on two consecutive rides and was just after a firmware update. It may have been another firmware update that cleaned up the problem, but I don't know for sure.
Old 06-15-19, 11:07 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Completely? No, but I did have an issue where it lost position for an hour or more. This happened on two consecutive rides and was just after a firmware update. It may have been another firmware update that cleaned up the problem, but I don't know for sure.
I'm curious where were you when it lost position? Regular ride route or way out on the middle of nowhere?

I have had a few rides where Strava teleported me as well, but I think that was some issues with the phone and data settings.
Old 06-15-19, 11:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I'm curious where were you when it lost position? Regular ride route or way out on the middle of nowhere?

I have had a few rides where Strava teleported me as well, but I think that was some issues with the phone and data settings.
I'd have to look up the rides, but IIRC it failed to lock on to my position at the start of the rides, which is in the middle of a large-enough metro area. Phone/data settings shouldn't affect the Wahoo, though. That I'm aware of, it only uses internal GPS, not tethered phone positioning (which can often lean on cell tower triangulation).
Old 06-15-19, 01:58 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
While only 3,053 miles over 82 rides, have not had a single issue with my Bolt. Nada.

My old Edge 520 rebooted mid-ride the second day I owned it, and would GPS glitch so often I had to have fitfiletools.com in my bookmarks bar.
Old 06-15-19, 02:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Wahoo devices seem good. I have a Tickr. But in late April Wahoo Fitness was updated for the first time in a couple of years and reliability suffered. Fitness was the most stable and lowest resource activity app I'd used. Now it's about as reliable as Strava, which means it glitches just often enough to be annoying. But it seems like the glitches have cleared up on my Android and iOS phones the past week.
Old 06-15-19, 02:54 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Nope. Never.
Same here. Probably 6K miles and 150+ rides so far with it, pouring rain, mud covering the screen, sweat on it, summer heat in the sun, freezing temps, on and off road etc. Done 10+ hour rides and although not required plugged it in to a portable charger at some point during the ride for a battery boost and still no issues. Full size Elemnt.

Last edited by u235; 06-15-19 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 03:00 PM
dmanthree

Of course, there is a simple solution if you don't want a GPS computer. Just get a "dumb" computer and use Strava on your phone to track rides.
Old 06-16-19, 03:06 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I moved from a Garmin 510 to a Bolt and made the right decision. I had a few (1-2) dropped rides with the Garmin but it was the touchscreen I never liked. The bolt has a great contrast screen, and nice tactile buttons. No sync, WiFi or Bluetooth problems with the bolt.
Old 06-16-19, 05:02 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Of course, there is a simple solution if you don't want a GPS computer. Just get a "dumb" computer and use Strava on your phone to track rides.
Thank you for your valuable and relevant input to this conversation.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 06-16-19, 05:55 PM
dmanthree

Sigh...

Originally Posted by ksryder
Thank you for your valuable and relevant input to this conversation.
Yes, God forbid someone on a *forum* offers an alternative point of view. Can't have that, can we?

Appreciate the attempt at sarcasm, though.
Old 06-16-19, 08:19 PM
gurk700

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Yup. Just 3 days ago too. But it's mostly my fault.
I uploaded the ride to my phone. As it was "syncing" the app shut down. I reopened and saw that the ride was upload with correct numbers except the GPS showed I jumped from US to overseas, europe somewhere and came back.
Clearly corrupt, I erased the ride off my phone. And that action was "pushed" from phone to delete off the device. I had 0 idea it worked that way. My plan was to reupload from Wahoo to app again after deleting.

So yeah. While I think pushing that delete to the device is extremely dumb, it was 99% my fault for actually deleting it. Corrupt GPS data didn't help the situation though.
Old 06-16-19, 08:43 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I’ve had pretty much all of them. I got the Elemnt just after it came out and that was a bit of a trial, but I only lost one ride and that was in that phase. Rapidly, Wahoo increased the stability and reliability of their software. The screen is great, and even though it’s low tech as far as displays go, it’s got the best readability in direct sunlight.

I’d have to rate Wahoo's reliability as tops in all of the bike computers out there. Garmin doesn't even come close.

Where the Elemnt falls down is in it's navigation capability. It's there, but there are no street names and that same display that is easy to read in daylight is also low res which means the maps can be very difficult to decipher. It's sort of best described as the kind of navigation that works when you pretty much know where you're going. But it’s got great connectivity with Strava, RideWithGPS and others for routes.

Set up is terrific with the use of their smartphone app.

FWIW, I have the ELEMNT, my daughter has the BOLT. I also have a Garmin Edge 1000 (meh) and a Hammerhead Karoo (work in progress but getting there).

FWIW, I think DCRainmaker kind of nailed the Garmin world with this article. Accurate based on my experience, maybe even a little magnanimous. The comments in the article are really illuminating.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/...stability.html

Market and feature leader but - at best - mediocre reliability. I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.