Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Old 03-25-19, 09:27 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Wow, no posts in this thread since November 2018!

Kind of surprised since (for me at least) winter seems to bring out the urge to fiddle with bikes that were perfectly fine before

Here's my latest:

1981 Trek 716
Velocity A23 36 hole polished rims
Shimano 600EX hubs
Compass/Rene Herse Loup-Loup Pass 650Bx38 extralight
Sun XCD crankset / Velo Orange 46/30 chainrings
Shimano 600EX FD/RD/Brake Levers
Tektro R559 brakes
Velo Orange "Model 6" saddle
Acorn Tall Rando Bag / Velo Orange "Randonneur" Rack & Decaleur

I rode this bike for the first time in this configuration on a 106km RUSA Permanent through Ogle and Dekalb counties on Saturday. Maybe a bold decision to launch out on a big ride after making so many big changes, but it worked out perfectly

I have done a conversion before on a 1985 Schwinn Tempo that worked okay, but this bike just feels right with 650B wheels. Full 531DB frameset and super supple tires made for such a smooth ride, I was blown away. At one point on the route, I was riding along the shoulder of a highway with full-width rumble strips across the whole 7 foot shoulder, each section about 5 feet long with serrations cut into the pavement about an inch deep, and I could barely feel them as I rode over. It was really something special to feel.

Super happy with how this build turned out. Currently I'm switching things over to Campagnolo Mirage 8 speed ergos shifting across a Shimano 7 speed rear cassette, but even now it's a super capable, super comfortable long-distance machine.

I'm super excited to stretch its legs over the upcoming randonneuring season.

Looks sharp! You made many good component choices IMO - starting with the Trek 716. I'd like to know more about your opinions on the model 6 saddle, the Velocity A23's (did you build the wheels yourself?), the VO 46/30 crank, and the Loup Loups (tubed or tubeless?).

I just ordered a wide-rimmed 26" wheel set and am going to try the Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass tires on an 'adventure' bike.

Have fun on your new ride!
Old 03-25-19, 09:59 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
+1, that looks great @abshipp. Got any plans for fenders?

Apart from playing around with a new bottle cage (for an insulated 40oz bottle), I don't have much to report on mine this winter. I daresay that it has reached a pretty high level of maturity, unlike its rider.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-25-19, 10:09 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Looks sharp! You made many good component choices IMO - starting with the Trek 716. I'd like to know more about your opinions on the model 6 saddle, the Velocity A23's (did you build the wheels yourself?), the VO 46/30 crank, and the Loup Loups (tubed or tubeless?).

I just ordered a wide-rimmed 26" wheel set and am going to try the Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass tires on an 'adventure' bike.

Have fun on your new ride!
Thanks!

RE: Model 6. I've got around 200 miles on this saddle so far. It's starting to get really comfortable. As you can see, I don't have a super aggressive position on this bike, but the shape really seems to agree with me. Several times on Saturday's ride I really stopped thinking about it, which is a first for a saddle for me. Fit and finish are excellent, I'm tempted to pick up another. The only one remaining in stock at Velo Orange is the "Honey", and it is currently on sale at a deep discount at Velo Orange due to them discontinuing the line.

RE: A23. I built this wheelset from the original 600EX hubs from the Trek, and the rims were brand new. Rear is the offset version. This is only the second wheelset I've built, and it went very smoothly. It's pretty simple to get straight wheels when you start out with straight rims Built with DT-Swiss 1.8/2.0 spokes.

One thing that I noticed is that the braking performance isn't quite what I expected. It seems to be a bit lacking, but maybe once the braking track wears in then performance will start to improve. Definitely not a deal-breaker, but I also don't ride anywhere with huge descents.

RE: Crankset. This set is actually Sun XCD crankarms with VO chainrings, although I'm pretty sure that the Velo Orange cranks are exactly the same, just rebranded. No issues so far, and front shifting is excellent with the ramped and pinned chainrings. Aesthetically they aren't quite as nice as a nice cold forged set (these are CNC-machined), but they are quite nice. No regrets in purchasing them at all.

RE: Loup-Loups. EXCELLENT. I've ridden Pari-Motos quite a bit in the same size, but these are just amazingly comfortable. Running tubes, with no intentions of going tubeless. I was a little on the fence about the value of having $160 worth of rubber, but I'm sold.
Old 03-25-19, 10:17 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
+1, that looks great @abshipp. Got any plans for fenders?

Apart from playing around with a new bottle cage (for an insulated 40oz bottle), I don't have much to report on mine this winter. I daresay that it has reached a pretty high level of maturity, unlike its rider.
Thanks!

Fenders are in the future, and I'm considering going for the full French rando treatment. The biggest change I had been planning to make was having the fork re-raked, but to be honest it behaves really well with a front bag. I was quite surprised.

Otherwise, I want another set or two of bottle bosses, some proper fork mounts for the rack (I HATE p-clips), and if I'm feeling fancy I might have some canti studs brazed on. That would solve the rack mount issues as well. Oh, and new paint. It's definitely at least a 15 footer at the moment
Old 03-26-19, 02:18 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Very nice, @abshipp! I love my 710 as well. Now you need a dynohub, lights, fenders... it never ends...
Old 03-28-19, 06:36 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by mountaindave
Very nice, @abshipp! I love my 710 as well. Now you need a dynohub, lights, fenders... it never ends...
Oh, don't I know it!

I put the aforementioned Campy 8 speed ergos on a couple of days ago.

Filed away a 13-28 7 speed hyperglide cassette to fit on the old 600EX hub, but I have a duplicate 14T smallest cog due to my lockring. So right now I've got 8 speed Campy shifting a 6 speed cassette, spaced to 7 speed

And it works pretty well! I'll probably pick up a 13T Uniglide threaded cog sometime in the future to eliminate the redundancy, but it doesn't really bother me too much right now.

Old 03-28-19, 08:23 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

... I put the aforementioned Campy 8 speed ergos on a couple of days ago.

So right now I've got 8 speed Campy shifting a 6 speed cassette, spaced to 7 speed
Those are so much sexier than Shimano STI’s. They’re shifting well?
Old 03-28-19, 08:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I was thinking about building a dedicated trainer bike and stop abusing the poor Centurion Semi-pro that's on there now. Never thought that it would work as a 650b bike. I have a set of 650b wheels that need a bike to go on.
Old 03-31-19, 07:45 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
'80s Mikkelsen Road Special 650b conversion, with bologna-skin Pacenti Pari-Moto 650Bx38s and ultralight Schwalbe tubes. I was planning on selling the frameset, but wanted to try 650b on it first just to see how it worked out, and because 650b tires fit the chainstay dimples much better than 700c. I avoided riding it for months because I was afraid I'd want to keep it after riding it. Oh yeah, and winter. Turned out to be a really sweet ride, a heady combination of sporty, dialed-in handling and smooth comfort. I used mostly parts I had around, as a 1x10 wiith a downtube shifter. First dt shifter setup I've built in quite a few years, luckily my muscle memory still worked and I could shift. Also the first 650b conversion I've done in a while, not counting modern modern disc-brake machines that are designed to be swappable.

I used Tektro 559 calipers, I've used 'em before on 650b conversions and they definitely work, but I usually go for Paul Racer M or Racers, depending on reach, for the stiffer arms/pivots.

Will probably sell this as a frameset, and move the wheels and some parts to a more vintage build.

Old 04-01-19, 11:33 AM
fordbailey

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Competition (sn A8326), 1973 Raleigh Competition (sn A4985), 1982 Dawes Atlantis, 1985 Condor, 1990 Trimble 140U, 1990 Trimble 160U, 1974 Free Spirit Ted Williams Racer, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks!

Fenders are in the future, and I'm considering going for the full French rando treatment. The biggest change I had been planning to make was having the fork re-raked, but to be honest it behaves really well with a front bag. I was quite surprised.

Otherwise, I want another set or two of bottle bosses, some proper fork mounts for the rack (I HATE p-clips), and if I'm feeling fancy I might have some canti studs brazed on. That would solve the rack mount issues as well. Oh, and new paint. It's definitely at least a 15 footer at the moment
Nice bike ! Those still Treks are very underrated. Do you like the Loup Loup tires better than the Paris Motos ?
Old 04-01-19, 11:40 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Nice Mikkelson @pcb. What chainring size are you using?
Old 04-01-19, 06:31 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Thanks! It's a 34t, lower than I'd want on something like this that wouldn't see a lot of trail/gravel. But that's what I had handy. I wouldn't go a whole lot bigger, probably 38t.

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Nice Mikkelson @pcb. What chainring size are you using?
Old 04-03-19, 06:41 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by fordbailey
Nice bike ! Those still Treks are very underrated. Do you like the Loup Loup tires better than the Paris Motos ?
Thanks!

My initial response would be yes. However, I don't know how much of that is placebo since I know that I'm rolling on tires that are supposed to be really, really, really good.

Pari-Motos are a good tire, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to use them if I was looking for a nice lightweight tire but didn't want to spend Compass/Rene Herse money. Lots of people complain that they are flat magnets, but I haven't had any issues in 500 or so miles I've ridden them.

But I just don't get flats around here, ever, so YMMV
Old 04-03-19, 12:44 PM
fordbailey

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Competition (sn A8326), 1973 Raleigh Competition (sn A4985), 1982 Dawes Atlantis, 1985 Condor, 1990 Trimble 140U, 1990 Trimble 160U, 1974 Free Spirit Ted Williams Racer, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport

I'm riding Paris Motos right now on two bikes. I paid $18 for one pair (38mm) and got the others (42mm) with a set of wheels. They are fantastic ! No flats yet- and I ride on all kinds of unpaved terrain with them, as well as some urban riding. I just can't imagine the compass tires could be much better. But maybe they are...
Old 04-03-19, 07:33 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by fordbailey
I'm riding Paris Motos right now on two bikes... I just can't imagine the compass tires could be much better. But maybe they are...
They have a different casing, and the PM's have much thinner tread, so shorter lifespan.

Having ridden the two, I like them both. I like the LLP for it's durability, but would get the EL for added suppleness. The PM is more of an "event tire" that won't last as long, but will still give you that oh-so-supple ride.
Old 04-04-19, 09:13 AM
fordbailey

Originally Posted by mountaindave
They have a different casing, and the PM's have much thinner tread, so shorter lifespan.

Having ridden the two, I like them both. I like the LLP for it's durability, but would get the EL for added suppleness. The PM is more of an "event tire" that won't last as long, but will still give you that oh-so-supple ride.
Thanks- That's exactly what I figured. The Paris Motos were so cheap that I can't afford not to ride them...
Old 04-16-19, 07:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Wow, no posts in this thread since November 2018!

Kind of surprised since (for me at least) winter seems to bring out the urge to fiddle with bikes that were perfectly fine before

Here's my latest:

1981 Trek 716
Velocity A23 36 hole polished rims
Shimano 600EX hubs
Compass/Rene Herse Loup-Loup Pass 650Bx38 extralight
Sun XCD crankset / Velo Orange 46/30 chainrings
Shimano 600EX FD/RD/Brake Levers
Tektro R559 brakes
Velo Orange "Model 6" saddle
Acorn Tall Rando Bag / Velo Orange "Randonneur" Rack & Decaleur

I rode this bike for the first time in this configuration on a 106km RUSA Permanent through Ogle and Dekalb counties on Saturday. Maybe a bold decision to launch out on a big ride after making so many big changes, but it worked out perfectly

I have done a conversion before on a 1985 Schwinn Tempo that worked okay, but this bike just feels right with 650B wheels. Full 531DB frameset and super supple tires made for such a smooth ride, I was blown away. At one point on the route, I was riding along the shoulder of a highway with full-width rumble strips across the whole 7 foot shoulder, each section about 5 feet long with serrations cut into the pavement about an inch deep, and I could barely feel them as I rode over. It was really something special to feel.

Super happy with how this build turned out. Currently I'm switching things over to Campagnolo Mirage 8 speed ergos shifting across a Shimano 7 speed rear cassette, but even now it's a super capable, super comfortable long-distance machine.

I'm super excited to stretch its legs over the upcoming randonneuring season.

Very, very nice. I have a 1979 Trek 510 frame salted away that I've been meaning to build up as a 650b build. It has a full ishiwata frame set and it's pretty much the same blue as yours. These pics will help get me motivated. I'll likely go with 3 x 7 shimano as I have the parts on hand and all I'll need to buy are rims/spokes/tires/tubes.
Old 07-04-19, 11:04 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
This thread needs another Trek like I need a bonus face hole, so here’s mine before I head off to the piercer.

1982 Trek 412 25.5”

I’d been riding this frame with 700x32 for about a year when I spotted a Surly Steamroller at Goodwill that some weirdo had turned into a 650b fixed gear. I figured the Pacenti PL23 rims and the old, but visibly unridden, Compass Babyshoe Pass 650x42 tires alone were worth the $25 asking price, the rest of the Surly went on eBay or to the co-op.

I laced the rims to some XT hubs from the co-op parts bin. I haven’t swapped the freehub on the m732 rear, so it’s currently setup as a 8 of 9 on 7, shifted by 9 speed bar ends. The front wheel is laced 2x because I reused the nice double butted spokes and they weren’t long enough for 3x on the low flange hub m737.

Brakes are Dia Compe 750 center pulls. This frame originally wore 27” wheels, so I need every mm of reach I can get, especially in the front. Plus side, 42s fit with ample room for fenders.

The rest of the cast is the usual suspects, Sugino XD2 triple, Nitto technomic stem and noodle bars. Berthoud saddle, etc.

Last edited by fliplap; 07-04-19 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-04-19, 01:01 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
$25 for a set of Pacenti rims with Compass tires - plus a Surly bike! Great find - and put to good use modifying your 412.

I'll never get tired of seeing 650b Treks - you've got a beaut. 42's with room for fenders - very nice - and I like that front rack.

Good to see the 650b conversion thing is still alive.
Old 11-14-19, 11:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
Here is my Lemond conversion. It rides great, but there is only 1mm of clearance at the chain stays. The 38mm tires might stretch, and I wish for even wider tires, so maybe this isn't the bike for a conversion. But I've ridden it for quite a while already, and so far, so good.

Does this picture display?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Last edited by noglider; 11-14-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 12:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i don't see a picture....
Old 11-14-19, 01:15 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
As shared in a different thread. Bernard Carré frame tarted up as a Sauvage-Lejeune. Wheels and brakes courtesy of my tandem that does not get ridden. I may go back to the 47/34 or a 47/27 double on it. Fenders are a possibility, but they complicate transportation. Got some nicer tires for it also.

DSCN2596 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 11-14-19, 02:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
i don't see a picture....
How about now?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-19, 02:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Here is my Lemond conversion. It rides great, but there is only 1mm of clearance at the chain stays. The 38mm tires might stretch, and I wish for even wider tires, so maybe this isn't the bike for a conversion. But I've ridden it for quite a while already, and so far, so good.

Does this picture display?
Sadly, no. The link doesn't appear to be directly to an image file, but perhaps to a Google folder or something.Now it does!

I was poking around Flickr a while back, and apparently there was once a short run of Velocity Aero in 650B. A narrow rim like that was just the thing to pull in a fat tire for a bike with tight clearances.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-14-19, 09:46 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How about now?
nope! ...lol

i hope someone else chimes in here...hint..hint. am i the only soul who doesn't see a picture from noglider?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.