Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picked up a Trek 560 Pro Series

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 02:09 PM
itztrue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So after fiddling around with my Lambert, making it single speed and getting rid of the death fork, I asked a family friend if they had any old bikes laying around (looking for spare parts). Sure enough, he had an old Trek 560 Pro Series that his wife used to ride, and gave it to me for FREE! I couldn't believe it. The frame is TINY! I'm used to riding a 52cm and this one has to be 48cm, or something. However jacking up the seatpost like that (don't mind the girly seat) seems to fit me quite well.

Looks like it has all Shimano 105 components, Reynolds 531 tubing, and its in fairly good shape. I just put new tubes into it today and it was up and running! Derailleur may need some adjusting, and then that led me to think - what if I made this SS/Fixed? Part of me wants to, part of me wants to keep it in the shape that its in (just some more cleaning up, of course). I'm trying to decide, but I have some Weinmann DP18's waiting for it
Old 08-05-08, 03:19 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 855 Posts
My non-expert vote is that this is worthy of being what it is. If you gave it to me (and I was 2 feet shorter!), I would fix/restore, and maybe upgrade. I don't get the SS thing; it seems like the bicycle version of low riders with spinner hubs, etc. Hate to see that happen to a sweet old muscle car, but if you want a weirded out Vega, whatever. I wanted SS, I would start with either a lesser/unworthy frame, or a real track bike.
Old 08-05-08, 03:36 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Trek's early, and short-lived attempt to enter the tri-bike market. I had a 530 about a year ago. It seemed nice, and fit me, but it just didn't suit me - so I sold it.
Old 08-05-08, 05:23 PM
chrispe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "girly seat" looks to me like a sella san marco rolls which is quite a nice saddle and not made for girls or in any way what I would consider girly. I have been wanting a white one for a bike I'm putting together, but they're kind of expensive generally. It is a sweet find especially for free, but I would say leave it complete because it seems fairly original, which even though that bike isn't really very collectible (though it is a very nice bike) is pretty cool. If you do make it a single speed definitely don't cut anything off like the derailuer hanger and it would be good to keep all the parts together in a box or something so you can put them all back on if you want. If you do that its just a matter of a couple hours work if you want to make it original again.
Old 08-05-08, 10:49 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree about the seat, I have been lucky to come across a couple used ones. not the most comfortable to me, but fetched a nice sum on ebay.
Old 08-05-08, 10:49 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my friend's girlfriend needed that exact bike a month ago..... tiny
Old 08-14-08, 01:25 AM
itztrue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it's been a week later and a lot sure has changed on the Trek. I decided to go the fixed gear route..but no worries - nothing is shaved off, and I still have all the original components labeled in individual bags so that if I ever do need to bring this back it original spec, it shouldn't take long.

I upgraded the wheelset to Weinmann DP18's (flip flop hub), a new Shimano chainring (that Biopace thing wasn't working for me), cog, lockring, etc. Running 42/16 and I love how smooth the bike feels.

Old 08-14-08, 02:06 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by itztrue

So after fiddling around with my Lambert, making it single speed and getting rid of the death fork, I asked a family friend if they had any old bikes laying around (looking for spare parts). Sure enough, he had an old Trek 560 Pro Series that his wife used to ride, and gave it to me for FREE! I couldn't believe it. The frame is TINY! I'm used to riding a 52cm and this one has to be 48cm, or something. However jacking up the seatpost like that (don't mind the girly seat) seems to fit me quite well.

Looks like it has all Shimano 105 components, Reynolds 531 tubing, and its in fairly good shape. I just put new tubes into it today and it was up and running! Derailleur may need some adjusting, and then that led me to think - what if I made this SS/Fixed? Part of me wants to, part of me wants to keep it in the shape that its in (just some more cleaning up, of course). I'm trying to decide, but I have some Weinmann DP18's waiting for it
Fix and restore, but no fixy! Good 47 -48cm frames and whole bikes (which are the size that I ride) are hard to come by so naturally I'm against anything that removes bits from the frame.
Old 08-14-08, 07:19 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
Fix and restore, but no fixy! Good 47 -48cm frames and whole bikes (which are the size that I ride) are hard to come by so naturally I'm against anything that removes bits from the frame.
See post #7
Old 08-14-08, 08:58 AM
bdrake

Bikes: 07 Trek 4300 WSD, 08 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, 77 Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am not really for fixies, but this bike looks awesome! love the wheels with the white bar tape and saddle. snazzy! congrats! i have been wanting and vintage trek in my size for so long now... every time i think i might finally have it, it slips through my fingers. enjoy your ride!
Old 08-14-08, 10:59 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixie haters! If you got 10 bikes, why not make one?
Old 08-15-08, 12:19 AM
j0ew00ds
Rubber side down

Bikes: Kogswell G, Fuji Del Rey, Pinarello Treviso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you've got 1 bike, why not make one?