Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gas, Gashol, Alcohol or Diesel, & Alternative Powered Bicycles

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-08-08, 06:39 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This is the thread for discussing all other methods of propelling a bicycle or HPV (Wind, Steam, Rubber bands, Clockwork, Compressed Air, Hamsters on Treadmills etc etc).
Please keep the main Electic Bikes Forum for ONLY discussing electric bikes.

OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-08-08, 06:53 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gas, Gashol, Alcohol or Diesel Powered Bicycles

Please keep all discussion about Internal Combustion Engine powered bicycles in this thread. The main Electric Bike Forum is ONLY for discussing electric powered bicycles and HPVs.

Please Note: It is NOT permitted to discuss either motorcycles or scooters in this thread.

OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-08-08, 10:30 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a link to a video of two compressed air bikes under test. The commentary is in French, but that doesn't take much away from the video. Watch the sound volume because these bikes are very noisy which is something that would need to be worked on IMHO before they could be used on the road.

https://www.archive.org/details/ElectroAirBike

https://www.electroairbike.com
Old 08-10-08, 06:03 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a link to a successful steam powered aeroplane built in 1933. Yes I do know it's not a bicycle, but the schematics and other diagrams would also work just as well if applied to a bicycle.

https://www.rexresearch.com/besler/beslerst.htm
Old 08-21-08, 11:07 AM
porschetoyz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sianelle:
I will try to contribute something, as soon as I can. Oh no, another project bike

Thanks
Old 08-21-08, 05:30 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My own bike is in bits in the garage Then on the other hand the weather has been so awful the local ducks have got up a petition

I'll look forward to reading more about your project porschetoyz
Old 09-10-08, 02:21 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That steam powered plane is cool. Trouble is, it's not exactly alternative fuel. They used oil.

I guess you could power one with wvo which would make it alternative. A simpler, cheaper, possibly more efficient method of wvo propolsion is diesel. Anybody got any biodiesel powered bikes out there?

There is a company that makes a diesel motorcycle for the military. It is klr 650 based and is supposed to be good for 120 mpg. There is supposed to be a civilian one in the works, but, it will be $$$$$.
Old 09-12-08, 05:11 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Steam is of interest to me because where I live is close to enormous plantation forests and it's easy to get hold of sawdust and mill slab for very cheap (sometimes free!). Travel over vasty distances doesn't bother me much because I'm perfectly content to stay in my own district and have nuffing to do with 'them odd folk over hill'. If I can travel to the surrounding villages I'm perfectly content and really steam would be just corker for that

Old 09-13-08, 12:38 PM
stevo9er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a gas powered bike anymore but I bought an engine awhile ago out of boredom. I put it on a mountain bike and then on a LWB recumbent. I will toss some pictures up after work.
Old 10-14-08, 03:27 PM
ncscott
cyclist

Bikes: road bike, mountain bike, touring bike

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone pointed out there is a better forum/source of information about gas assist bikes on the net. Where/what is it?
Scott
Old 10-18-08, 08:08 PM
Mabman

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reported Post by Mabman

Check out Alcohol Can Be A Gas by David Blume. There is a nice section in there about small engines that I hope to be getting the best of here before too long. We are looking at raising the compression on small 4 strokes enough to burn the fuel correctly and introducing HHO to the mix also with a small generator run off an alternator. Gotta be ready for anything anymore.
Old 10-18-08, 08:15 PM
Mabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try these perhaps?

https://www.motoredbikes.com/index.php?

https://motorbicycling.com/
Old 10-18-08, 08:16 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Interesting idea. Is it going to be multifuel capable, or just alcohol?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 10-18-08, 08:39 PM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own all kinds of these kits. I have built a few for people, that use them for commuting.

This has been the best out there, in my experience. I am 220. if you weigh more there is a bigger engine there https://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3316

200 miles per gallon cant be beat!

of course the only drawback is that is doesnt work when its raining. for that I would go with a chain drive.
Old 10-18-08, 09:36 PM
Mabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Due to the higher compression if gas is used it must be of the highest octane available or lesser with an additive booster. The idea is towards self sufficiency with this though and our efforts will be grass root (i just can't stop with the innuendo's tonight) to start of course but perhaps as time goes on the idea will spread? A small legal operation to manufacture ethanol at a rate of 4-5 gallons an hour is not that much of an investment actually. The ethanol will not be made using corn either to quell that argument in the bud. There are many forms of biomass that can be used that are far superior to corn that don't take anything away from food producing agricultural land. One of my favorites is spent wort from beer production! And of course grass clippings as alluded to earlier. In fact according to Blume corn is perhaps one of the worst options available.

And thanks for moving this to the correct spot. After reading that poll thread I for sure was worried about panties bunching but it seems like the higher powers here at least have level heads.
Old 10-19-08, 06:58 AM
lampy29

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you attatch one of these onto your mountain bike and still be able to ride on singletrack? When you do add this engine to your bike, does it lose its status as an unpowered vehicle?
Old 10-19-08, 07:28 AM
Mabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some that would say yes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0eZynCSNyU
trails005zq8.jpg

But I for one am not there with the concept. For one thing you had better make sure that land use regulations allow it. The bikes pictured would not meet legal criteria for street use either as the engines are too many cc's.

I guess I always considered bicycles to be powered vehicles to begin with? Putting a small engine of any sort, gas or electric, does change the vibe for sure. You just have to come to grips with what your needs are and for me hauling heavy loads that would normally have to go via auto by bike is a priority. The use of motor assist makes that mission safer and more pleasurable.
Old 10-23-08, 10:32 PM
Mabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tweaking the Bumvee

Did some mods to the bicycle utility motorassist vehicle today. Basically swapped out a cheap 26" sus fork front end for a cheap 700c rigid. The front end is much less vague with no loss of comfort. Used a NOS Girvin Flex Stem that I had in stock which I am not sure does much but it looks cool! Surprisingly I had a couple of other choices of 1 1/8" quill stems to choose from also that I had forgotten about in this age of threadless.
DSC00829.jpg

This bike is so super that I thought this old Speedwell head badge was appropriate so I stuck it on also.
DSC00831.jpg

Took a few errand runs today and one was to get a steerer tube cut and starfangled nut installed for my town bike at the bike shop cause I don't have the proper tools to do so. It was $4 well spent and got to rip around some and show off the bumvee at the bike shop. The manager took it for a short beat and came back with a big grin on his face and the wheels turning in his head....The flatbed makes it easy to transport stuff, just need a few bungies.
DSC00834.jpg

The little rack pack stays there nicely after threading the attachment straps around one of the bed boards. Makes a handy place to keep the lock and tool kit/flat stuff. This bike will carry a pretty good load without any effort on its part or the operators
Old 10-30-08, 10:03 AM
npkeith

Bikes: Elec-Trec 8 speed electric, ancient Trek 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call me crazy, but the thought of having live steam that close to fairly sensitive portions of my anatomy gives me the heebies.
Old 11-02-08, 08:36 AM
Tourezrick

Bikes: TE Steel, Sun Tad Trike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm old enough to remember such vehicles (if you want to call them that) in Chicago, only we called them "weenie wagons" or hot dog carts. Same copious venting of steam, large yellow umbrella shading the 'works' and rider. I'm certain ours smelled ( and tasted) much better than the one posted. Ah, I can taste it now, a good Kosher dog on a steamed bun, slathered with mustard, relish, onions, cukes and hot peppers washed down by a favorite cold beverage! Life was, still is, good!
Old 11-12-08, 01:52 PM
DrFreud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right

How you gonna ride these things I wonder. Moreover how you gonna handle such a piece of metal if you have to manually move it in small space like a room or garage at least. However someone might have a pleasure to try to ride such a thing. I would certainly try this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mbike1a.jpg (46.2 KB, 400 views)
Old 12-06-08, 01:48 PM
Tourezrick

Bikes: TE Steel, Sun Tad Trike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Goblin, and it's not Halloween any longer!

https://goblinmotors.com

This is a Sun USX trike with a Subaru Robin or Honda 33 - 50 cc gas engine mounted onto an industrial strength gearbox with a partial velomobile body. The drive is by Staton, and what is really interesting is that Staton is working on a bolt on electric motor for the same drivetrain, thus making the Goblin a three way hybrid vehicle - human, gas, electric power! Were it only totally enclosed! Price point (in US$) is right where Bluevelo in Toronto has placed their Team velomobile. Interesting!

The fellow who put it all together makes 'fiberglass rocks and waterfalls' in Tucson, Az. USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Goblin.jpg (20.4 KB, 414 views)
Old 12-06-08, 03:04 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool bananas

Have you perhaps seen this velomobile? https://www.lightfootcycles.com/rainshadow.htm

Old 12-09-08, 02:33 AM
Mabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MAB the Movie.

https://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GjsWmQ...layer_embedded
Old 12-09-08, 05:26 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Amazing utility bicycle Mabman

You have built yourself a thoroughly practical powered bicycle and I luv it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.