Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Cyclocomputer?

Old 06-24-09, 01:09 AM
ProfitOfDoom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclocomputer?

Im new to riding,and seen these Cyclocomputers. I dont really need one,but thought it would be cool to know how long a ride and speeds etc. Plus little gadgets like this keep me interested
I just had a few questions.. I read some review on the cheaper wireless units like in the $20ish range and most people said it wasnt very accurate in any aspect,anyone have one in this price range thats wireless and works well?
If anyone was down this road and was to buy one of these units would you buy wireless or wired? Please recommend a decent unit for $50 or less.
Im just looking for the basic features like miles traveled,mph and time.
Old 06-24-09, 12:57 PM
peruchox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you want basic? I just bought a $10 Bell compubike at Target. It has ODO , TeMp, Cal burn, Distances, backlight, Time, Max Speed, AVg Speed, Fat burn, Horoscope ...etc

wired installation was easy though is probably longer thatn a wireless.
Old 06-24-09, 01:53 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The wireless units have a battery in both the head and the sensor. You have to 'wake up' the head unit with a button press every time you use it. Also, the wireless ones will sometimes lose connection to the head and will need to be reset occasionally, not like with the wired ones. I've seen some that for the price you're looking at in the dept stores that seem like they'd work well. (Myself, I prefer ones with cadience, and they can run from mid 30s to 80+)
Old 06-24-09, 06:34 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jack002
The wireless units have a battery in both the head and the sensor. You have to 'wake up' the head unit with a button press every time you use it. Also, the wireless ones will sometimes lose connection to the head and will need to be reset occasionally, not like with the wired ones. I've seen some that for the price you're looking at in the dept stores that seem like they'd work well. (Myself, I prefer ones with cadience, and they can run from mid 30s to 80+)
+1
Wireless units are subject to power-line noise. This is the reason the wireless computers need to be reset. Just get a cheap wired computer and save yourself some money and headaches. Running that wire is not hard to do at all.
Old 06-27-09, 09:17 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got a Cateye Strada Wireless ... no problems whatsoever.

Currently sells for $50 or so.

But, I've seen some basic computers (and that's all my Strada is) for $20 or less at Target. I'd get one of those.

I even saw a wireless version for that price.

I'm skeptical that they are less accurate ... that part is pretty simple (a program that counts revolutions and converts to distance). I would expect any computer to be as accurate as another, as long as you plug in the correct tire size.
Old 06-28-09, 04:43 PM
DonFrambach

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix 2009 with ultegra triple, Raleigh Competition from the 70's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Cateye Strada wired which I bought because I didn't want to fool with wireless issues. It's very simple and has been very reliable.
Old 06-28-09, 05:50 PM
Cyclist0107
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a $20 wireless Bell that I bought at Walmart. I use distance, speed, time and average. I have compared it to a GPS programe I have on my BBY (distance, speed and time) and so far it has been flawless.
Old 06-28-09, 06:06 PM
Nestor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a Vetta wireless T2X torpedo that hasn't been reset since I set it up last year.

Probably a little more than what you are looking for, but I guess the less expensive wireless models may not be as reliable.
Old 06-29-09, 07:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom
Im new to riding,and seen these Cyclocomputers. I dont really need one,but thought it would be cool to know how long a ride and speeds etc. Plus little gadgets like this keep me interested
I just had a few questions.. I read some review on the cheaper wireless units like in the $20ish range and most people said it wasnt very accurate in any aspect,anyone have one in this price range thats wireless and works well?
If anyone was down this road and was to buy one of these units would you buy wireless or wired? Please recommend a decent unit for $50 or less.
Im just looking for the basic features like miles traveled,mph and time.
Sigma 1606L. Cheap, a ton of features and a good mounting system. A year ago, I'd have said Cateye but I lost 5 of them last year because of bad mounts. That adds up
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-29-09, 08:55 AM
shelpdogg
I love lamp

Bikes: Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peruchox
you want basic? I just bought a $10 Bell compubike at Target. It has ODO , TeMp, Cal burn, Distances, backlight, Time, Max Speed, AVg Speed, Fat burn, Horoscope ...etc

wired installation was easy though is probably longer thatn a wireless.
Just got the same one this weekend at Target....put it on my mountain bike, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Last edited by shelpdogg; 06-29-09 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 03:21 PM
duke_of_hazard

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just be careful with the wire between the sensor and the computer. I have snapped mine a half dozen times ( i have a folding bike )... It is a pain to reattach.