Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Which fork to buy

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Which fork to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 09:48 AM
Buckskinpass

Bikes: Bianchi Ruck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which fork to buy

Hi all, I really am new to mtn biking so go easy.
I’m sorry if it’s been asked but after researching here and elsewhere I still feel I need help. What are the impacts of adding a longer fork to the front of my bike? I know the geometry changes, Bars higher, seat higher and slightly farther back. I’m thinking and really hoping that these are correctable, any insight about that would be appreciated.
Now I’ll ask the question that I’m really after. Does changing the head tube angle and raising the bottom bracket really affect handling all that much? How much longer can I go before I really notice the difference? The reason I ask, it’s really hard to find a decent fork at 80 mm which is what came on my bike and you seem to get more travel for less money in the type of fork I’m willing upgrade to.
I’m thinking of getting a Rockshox Recon. One has a 100mm air spring but it’s more expensive than an adjustable travel 85mm – 135mm coil u turn. Is it worth getting the adjustable and setting it to not go over a certain length of travel? If you could help me out and point me in the right direction, I just don’t want to make a stupid choice and end up regretting what I’ve bought.
Old 01-24-10, 10:16 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not like an adj. travel fork on my FS bike. I really like one on my hardtail. the one I'm running now goes up to 150mm ( and the bike came with an 80mm fork). I like the slacker geometry on decents.
You should have no real issues going from 80 to 100 on your bike. A better fork will make you rides much more fun.
Old 01-24-10, 04:39 PM
David325
BMW Aficionado

Bikes: '66 Raleigh RSW, '69 Humber Sports, '71 Raleigh Pro, '73 Raleigh Super Course, '74 Raleigh International, '75 + '77 Raleigh Competition, '87 Raleigh Edge, others

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it will make a difference. You'll probably notice it but get used to it. A boost of travel over 20mm will probably be very dramatic. My friend got an adjustable Recon and was very happy with it. I've ridden his bike, the additional travel changes the feel a lot. You should look online for whatever clearances/sales you can find. I don't think I'd put the travel over 100mm, but you can calculate the difference in HA if you want. I forget the formula for it...

EDIT: Found it! [change in head angle] = arcsin [(old length - new length)/(wheel base)]

Last edited by David325; 01-24-10 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 06:23 AM
Choccy
Commuter

Bikes: Handsome Dog Titanium (Work) Santa Cruz Superlight (Play) Kona Stinky (Real Play)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fox F120 RLC all the way. Can't beat the Fox forks right now.

Choccy...