Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Much Wind is too Much?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How Much Wind is too Much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 01:28 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Too much is when you decide it's not worth proceeding in to.

Last Thanksgiving I rode to the in-laws and it was a steady 15 MPH headwind with 35 mph gusts. I popped up over a hill and hit a gust full on at the same moment, I nearly fell over as I was basically standing still, maybe doing 1 MPH at best.

Had strong tail winds on one ride and got up to 40 mph without much effort, it was scary as it was a chip and seal road and not in very good condition for that either. Luckily it was a one ways trip so I didn't have to face it going home.
Old 10-22-13, 01:29 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have been in my lowest hill gear on a flat straightaway into a headwind --barely moving. Very discouraging when you have 40 miles to your destination. I'll take a steep grade up hill all the way before I'll take a 20+mph headwind. Big winds make a quitter out of me.
Old 10-22-13, 02:41 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
A Brazilian rider ahead of me on a randonnee was blown from one side of the road to the other and down into the ditch by a cross wind. The gale was a blast form the Antarctic and blew straight across some dune alongside which the road ran.

The strongest gust in the last series of windy days where we now live was around 60mph. There was 10 days of winds. Today, the river is mirror calm. It's delightful.
Old 10-22-13, 03:05 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My folks 'lost' what most would consider to be an aerodynamic 33' Airstream trailer to a 50+mph crosswind in rural Nevada. The wind was blowing almost 90* to the road, and eventually overcame the traction of the dually tow rig and triple axle trailer. The whole shebang started to fishtail, then 'the tail wagged the dog' off the road surface, and in the over-correction rolled the trailer - which broke open like an egg -- Pieces-parts and fiberglass insulation everywhere. The added insult to injury was the Nevada State Troopers made the folks pick up every last shred of debris or they'd be cited for littering. Nevermind the other trash along the road...
Old 10-22-13, 05:05 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
You guys are better than me. Not that I'm not willing to ride in the wind. But haven't seen heavy winds here. At least while riding.

The other half is at about a 15 mph or so headwind I realize I'm working really hard to go at a walking speed. At that point I get off and walk the bike. No pride at all.

As far as cross winds go no problem. But never been knocked even a foot from my path. When that happens I'll probably get off and walk again.
Old 10-22-13, 05:19 PM
dalameda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first metric century was out of Patterson in the Central Valley. It was windy. I didn't bother to check at the time, but after I got done I looked it up and the winds were 20 miles with gusts to 45. Riding up one rise I didnt have to pedal at all. The last 10 miles was through flat cropland directly into the wind. Stupid me thinking I was getting close to the end I dumped most of my water. At one point I was riding so slow that another rider who had dismounted and was walking his bike passed me.
Old 10-23-13, 12:37 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Last January 31, started on a ride, got 0.4 miles down the road just to the top of a little rise where the vegetation clears away and got blown sideways. Gave up and went home. According to historical data, wind speed was about 18 mph with gusts 36-41 mph.

Can't imagine riding in 65 mph gusts!

- Ed