Old 04-04-14, 11:34 AM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
SwampDude...that's pretty gutsy to ride the MS150 on a borrowed bike without really knowing the route! The route I'm taking starts from Katy TX, which makes the first day an even 100 miles. The second day is either 77 or 66 miles depending on the route chosen. I'll see how I feel when I wake up Sunday morning. The 77 mile route is very hilly for the first 30 miles then flattens out bit for the final stretch into Austin. So it technically will be either the MS177 or MS166 for me! I will certainly have cash available for the masseuses!

I was starting to get concerned about the ride until last weekend when I did 80 and 60 mile rides on Saturday and sunday. I felt pretty good at the end of both days so now I'm a lot more comfortable about the upcoming event. I plan to do 80 miles tomorrow and then maybe a recovery ride on Sunday and then ride one more time on Wednesday for an hour or two.

I was really happy with my legs and cardio...most of my concern was with some chafing problems I was having with my bibs...and I ended up having to get a new saddle last week too. That's a risky change to make this close to an event but it appears to all be working out.
The mountain bike was supposed to be a decent road bike, but the number of out-of-state visitors in our group outnumbered the road bike supply. My bike was a last minute fill in. That first day almost did me in, seriously.

You are ready, and your outing should be enjoyable if the weather cooperates. Many who are not so well prepared will struggle, but the cause is well worth the effort.
Old 04-04-14, 12:03 PM
msd3075

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by memebag
Thanks. The inspection was done by Bicycle World of Houston. They didn't offer to fix it, and when I called today to see if they could schedule me they couldn't guarantee that they could fix it before the ride. I'm about to take it to Houston Cycling Centres and get them to fix it. The handlebar tape is torn up a bit, and I knew the chain was worn. These are good repairs to have, and I would try to do them myself if I had more time. I'm still a novice.

I also had my bike inspected the other night at Saint Arnold, but they didn't do an thing to it at all. I was the second person to go through, and they had just brought out a pitcher of beer for the mechanics. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Also was standing outside with my buddy when his bike went through, and the only thing they did was re-wrap a small portion of his handlebar tape so it was a bit tighter. Nothing else.

Never got the feeling from them that they were trying to generate business for repairs or that they were being overly meticulous. Then again I was only there for two inspections, both done by the same guy (the guy on the left closest to the brewery entrance).
Old 04-04-14, 12:06 PM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkj
new handlebar tape? Seriously? to ride in a charity event?

You don't have to pass inspection to ride in the MS 150; you only need the inspection to get free roadside repairs during the ride.
Old 04-04-14, 12:09 PM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwampDude
Your statement is true, but 83 miles in a day with hills is a challenge that shouldn't be understated. Its a real test for one's legs and sitter that should be appropriately prepared for.

Yes, I understand, but so many people get intimidated by the total mileage. Only focusing on the current stage during the ride helps ease the psychological challenge of it all.
Old 04-04-14, 12:21 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by msd3075
Then again I was only there for two inspections, both done by the same guy (the guy on the left closest to the brewery entrance).
The same dude did my bike. I was probably 10 people behind you. The pitcher was still mostly full when I got up there.

I don't disagree that my chain is stretched and my tape is ragged. Replacing them is the right thing to do. It's just a pain to try to get it done right now. I wish the first shop I took it to would have said something. I would have paid them to do it.
Old 04-04-14, 12:32 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dstrong
SwampDude...that's pretty gutsy to ride the MS150 on a borrowed bike without really knowing the route! The route I'm taking starts from Katy TX, which makes the first day an even 100 miles. The second day is either 77 or 66 miles depending on the route chosen. I'll see how I feel when I wake up Sunday morning. The 77 mile route is very hilly for the first 30 miles then flattens out bit for the final stretch into Austin. So it technically will be either the MS177 or MS166 for me! I will certainly have cash available for the masseuses!

I was starting to get concerned about the ride until last weekend when I did 80 and 60 mile rides on Saturday and sunday. I felt pretty good at the end of both days so now I'm a lot more comfortable about the upcoming event. I plan to do 80 miles tomorrow and then maybe a recovery ride on Sunday and then ride one more time on Wednesday for an hour or two.

I was really happy with my legs and cardio...most of my concern was with some chafing problems I was having with my bibs...and I ended up having to get a new saddle last week too. That's a risky change to make this close to an event but it appears to all be working out.
If you are starting in Katy, Day 1 will only be about 83 miles. It is right at 100 if you start down at Tully Stadium at I-10 and Dairy Ashford.
Old 04-04-14, 12:41 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think I'm going to start in Katy at Rhodes Stadium. The MS 150 site says it starts at 6:45 am. What time should I plan to get to the stadium?

Getting ready for this is starting to feel like more work than actually doing it.
I am more familiar with starting at Tully than at Rhodes, but the answer will mostly depend on how long you take to get ready once you get there and how close to the front you want to be at the start. Due to traffic and such around the parking area, I would start by adding 10-15 minutes to how long it would normally take you to get there. Also factor in lines to use the restroom (remember...always take a pregame...) and time to get setup in the dark. I would not plan to arrive any later than 6am, and if I were starting there, would probably shoot for getting there around 5:30. That assumes you already have your numbers on your jersey and bike and such, but need to do things like air up tires and strap on an underseat bag. You can always nap in the car for a while if you find yourself with a bunch of extra time, but you don't want to be late and end up at the back of the start line behind a huge number of slow riders.

That is another benefit of doing an offsite start with a team in the energy corridor...don't have to mess with the crowds and waiting in line to start. My wife and I start from our house which is only about 2 miles from where the route goes by Queenston on Clay Road, so we don't have to mess with any of it anymore.

And as Swamp said...thanks to all of y'all for riding and fundraising! It is a very good cause!
Old 04-04-14, 12:50 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92
That is another benefit of doing an offsite start with a team in the energy corridor...
Yeah yeah yeah, but I get beer.
Old 04-04-14, 12:52 PM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The same dude did my bike. I was probably 10 people behind you. The pitcher was still mostly full when I got up there.

I don't disagree that my chain is stretched and my tape is ragged. Replacing them is the right thing to do. It's just a pain to try to get it done right now. I wish the first shop I took it to would have said something. I would have paid them to do it.

Sounds like next year we should do the team inspections a few weeks earlier to allow for repairs.

Might be something we should bring it up with Lennie.
Old 04-04-14, 12:55 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Believe me, it will all feel worth it when you ride through Fayetteville on day 1 and when you get within a couple of blocks of the finish in Austin on day 2. I wish I could bottle the feeling I get riding through Fayetteville...but it would probably be considered a PED or controlled substance by somebody.
Old 04-04-14, 12:57 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah yeah yeah, but I get beer.
We get beer...and ice cream sandwiches!
Old 04-04-14, 01:08 PM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am more familiar with starting at Tully than at Rhodes, but the answer will mostly depend on how long you take to get ready once you get there and how close to the front you want to be at the start. Due to traffic and such around the parking area, I would start by adding 10-15 minutes to how long it would normally take you to get there. Also factor in lines to use the restroom (remember...always take a pregame...) and time to get setup in the dark. I would not plan to arrive any later than 6am, and if I were starting there, would probably shoot for getting there around 5:30. That assumes you already have your numbers on your jersey and bike and such, but need to do things like air up tires and strap on an underseat bag. You can always nap in the car for a while if you find yourself with a bunch of extra time, but you don't want to be late and end up at the back of the start line behind a huge number of slow riders.

That is another benefit of doing an offsite start with a team in the energy corridor...don't have to mess with the crowds and waiting in line to start. My wife and I start from our house which is only about 2 miles from where the route goes by Queenston on Clay Road, so we don't have to mess with any of it anymore.

And as Swamp said...thanks to all of y'all for riding and fundraising! It is a very good cause!

If anyone is starting at/near Rhodes and wants to miss the crowd, do what we did last year and start in the Katy Mills Mall parking lot. You have to go through one stoplight at the edge of the parking lot, ride a few hundred feet, cross under I-10, and you meet up with the Rhodes route about half a mile from the start line. Only downside is you can't leave your car there, but if someone is just dropping you off it's a great place to meet up.
Old 04-05-14, 07:29 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
I'm starting to get nervous because we haven't been able to train as much in the last few weeks as I wanted. Due to weather and work I was never able to do a back to back long ride, just a single day. I think I can do it, but I'm still nervous. But at the same time I'm really excited. We just bought a kick ass tent, too. We were finally able to reach the $400 minimum funds raised too. Barely.
Old 04-05-14, 07:54 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

And we're going to start from Waller, and the map on the MS150 site says the site opens at 7am. I plan on getting there around 6:30-6:45. I'm worried about not getting a place.
Old 04-05-14, 02:31 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I believe fhe waller start is a rolling start...so you can start anytime you want after something like 8am.. Lots of space out there and lots of folks start fairly late there.
Old 04-05-14, 05:04 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I am thinking of starting at Tully so it's the 100 mile route. Most of my team is at the Omni and I'm staying just on the other side of the I-10, so I can start either place. Being my first year, part of me thinks I should do the "official start" at Tully...the more rational side of me knows that I have to take my bag to the Omni first to drop it with the team truck for transport to La Grange...and that I could just start from there instead of trying to ride down to Tully for the zoo...I mean start.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 04-06-14, 12:40 PM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I'm starting to get nervous because we haven't been able to train as much in the last few weeks as I wanted. Due to weather and work I was never able to do a back to back long ride, just a single day. I think I can do it, but I'm still nervous. But at the same time I'm really excited. We just bought a kick ass tent, too. We were finally able to reach the $400 minimum funds raised too. Barely.

I understand the nerves; we did a couple back-to-back training rides last year leading up to the MS 150, but I had never gone more than 45-50 miles in one single ride. I too was nervous about making it.

From all that you post on here about how seriously you've been taking your training (both physical and mental), you are more than prepared. With everything going on around you, from the supporters cheering you on to seeing the sea of people everywhere you look, trust me, the time will go by a lot faster and easier than it does during your training.

You won't truly feel tired and sore until Monday morning.

Just make sure you pace yourself and stay within your limits. As corny as it sounds, I kept repeating to myself during last year's ride what Herb Brooks kept telling his team in 1980 (and what I tell myself every time I'm playing in a golf tournament); "Play your game, play your game, play your game....."
Old 04-06-14, 01:11 PM
GDawginHTown

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy riding to all next weekend.

There is plenty of support on the ride so just kick back and pedal on.
Get a good rest after day 1 because the hills of day 2 will take be fun.

I won't be riding this year but after a 28 years absence, I'll be back for next year's event.
Old 04-06-14, 04:18 PM
bkj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, didn't get your text until late last night. training is good. haven't done a long ride since bluebonnet, but a few short rides with the wife. we're looking forward to it. met with the team last night and got our packets and swag. going to start from waller. you still owe me a GBP/THP out and back ride out here
All in for GBP/THP ride after the 150. I need to pick your brain about upstate NY, as I will do an Erie Canal ride this summer or next.
Old 04-07-14, 08:29 AM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike failed inspection last night.
I feel your pain. I took mine in last week, knowing I had some issues I would probably have to address - wheels trued, brake pads, etc. I didn't realize how bad my bottom bracket was. Decided to replace it. That's when it got ugly. I've had my Specialized Allez for 10 years. I bought it when I lived in Louisiana. When I evacuated for Katrina, I left it at home. It sat in flood water for at least 2 days. I guess I should have had it worked over back then, but I had more important things to worry about (repair my roof, rip out sheet rock, etc., etc....) Well, jump back to 2014, and the bottom bracket is seized in the frame. The bike shop even bought an impact wrench to try to muscle it out. No go. I guess I could have ridden it, but now I'm worried about the BB completely failing on the MS 150.

So Saturday morning I'm off to Bike Barn looking for a replacement. Thankfully they had the bike I was looking for (more or less) in my frame size - I'm tall, so I needed a large frame. Spent the remainder of the day re-installing my GPS and sensors, etc. Crappy weather yesterday. I'm hoping to get at least 20 miles in tomorrow after work. I'm a little nervous about hoping on a brand new bike and whipping out 170 miles. The bike is awesome, but my butt is not yet acquainted to the new saddle.
Old 04-07-14, 11:48 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ouch. But at least you get a new bike.
Old 04-07-14, 06:39 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

i know it's early but the weather isn't looking good for the weekend.
Old 04-08-14, 07:07 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What do you mean? The wind is current forecast to be 15mph from the SSE! That is a tailwind! Who cares if there is a little rain on Sunday. You won't even notice it with a 15mph tailwind.
Old 04-08-14, 08:47 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What do you mean? The wind is current forecast to be 15mph from the SSE! That is a tailwind! Who cares if there is a little rain on Sunday. You won't even notice it with a 15mph tailwind.
That's what I'm thinking. Give me enough tailwind and I'm the best cyclist in the world.
Old 04-08-14, 09:21 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
i know it's early but the weather isn't looking good for the weekend.
Saturday looks fine...Sunday shows possible t-storms for both La Grange and Austin. Unless it's a big front with a solid line of storms, it shouldn't cause too many problems. I'll pack my rain cape and may carry in on Sunday depending on the most up to date forecast.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.