Old 02-07-19, 07:19 AM
SAGit

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl
I can remember many years when the start of the PtP ride was teeth chattering cold. I can't think of year it wasn't. Since the longest route is 71 miles, I am guessing they thought they could start a bit later and still finish at a reasonable time while allowing it just a bit more time to warm up before the start.

Just my guess.

Jeff
I think you're absolutely right. There were also some fogs hanging around early in the morning.

It turned out to be a very nice day for a ride. My initial goal was 71 miles but I only did 55 miles because I am out of shape. As always, the organizer did a great job and included breakfast and BBQ sandwich lunch.

Every major intersections had law enforcement working the intersection...didn't have to worry about getting a ticket in Waller.
Old 03-02-19, 05:52 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Yes, they raised the price a few years ago. I think this is discourage no shows and to reduce the crowd. The ferry bottleneck can take awhile.
Old 03-03-19, 08:48 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
How was the ride? Any pics or gps map?
Old 03-08-19, 10:24 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Battleship Texas is neat. They're doing a lot of restoration work still so there are closed off areas. I wish the upper levels like the Bridge still had the consoles and stuff in them.
The San Jacinto monument is worthless. The museum at the base is alright, but going up to the top the windows are tiny and you can't get a good 360 view. Plus if it's hazy you're boned even more. Not worth it IMO.
Old 03-15-19, 05:10 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I was so hectic...because it felt like it took forever to register, because of the stupid Active registration requirement.
When I got in line to register... I had 40 minuts til starting time...and was feeling nice and relaxed. By time I got to starting line...most people had already left, and I was stressing out.
And I had to ride like crazy to make up time. So I can't tell how many showed up to ride. The promotion says 1000 riders were expected...but I doubt it. It was very cloudy. Riding by chemical plants everywhere and dreary weather...I decided to lower my head, no time to smell the roses or benzene, and pedal as hard as I can.

At first I was angry that they forced me to sign up for Active, even though I pay cash. And you have to give up your address and email and phone number to Active who will probably sell my personal info. I didn't like that. So I must have transfer that anger into serious wattages. LoL. I am sure I set my personal best record that day.

The Fred Hartman bridge was not as bad as I thought. Saw a girl on a 1-speed vintage Fixie resting at the apex of the bridge.
Nice riding by that Battleship and that big Monument. I would like to go onboard that Battleship someday. Wish the sun had come out, though. The ferry was real quick...no line...crossed the channel of water in like 5 minutes or so.
I did this ride two years ago. Not sure if the route has changed much or any at all. I remember it being an OK route. I was excited about climbing FH Bridge for the first time, but didn't like that you had to do it basically right off the bat, but it is what it is. I remember there being a busier road on the route that had a shoulder, but was covered in Sand and other road debris. It's not their fault that the shoulder wasn't great, but that thought and the smell around the factories(thought mama was cooking or something) are two of the things I remember the most. if i wasn't doing Ready2Roll, I probably would have signed up for it.
Old 11-20-19, 11:05 AM
dleuthe

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Specialized

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool Thanksgiving Week Rides

Hey all! I am going to be visiting family in Rosenberg over Thanksgiving week. I am looking at getting in a few rides while I am there. I can do about 50 miles a day at an intermediate pace. Anyone know of any group rides or safe on my own routes? thanks for your suggestions!!
Dee
Old 11-21-19, 08:58 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Check www.chasingwatts.com events