Search
Notices

Houston area Rides

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 08:59 AM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hairy Hands
Nice to see a fellow UT guy around here. Every where I go I seem to be surrounded by Aggies, kids school, parties, bike rides, church, etc. Guess that's a downside to living so close to Aggieland. See u on Sunday
Yeah, the aggy is strong in Tomball and Magnolia. See ya Sunday. Hook 'em Horns!
Old 03-31-14, 06:21 PM
msd3075

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big_heineken
Yes, I am. I graduated in 2006 with a BSME. I'm planning on riding the 74 mile route.
Small world. I also graduated from UT in (Fall) 2006 with a BSME. And my riding buddy who I've done most of my training with and will be riding with in the MS 150 also graduated at the same time with a BSME.
Old 04-01-14, 07:11 AM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msd3075
Small world. I also graduated from UT in (Fall) 2006 with a BSME. And my riding buddy who I've done most of my training with and will be riding with in the MS 150 also graduated at the same time with a BSME.
OK, cool. So you were right behind me. I'm Josh and here is a photo from graduation (I've changed a little):
Attached Images
Old 04-01-14, 08:04 AM
Hairy Hands

Bikes: Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How was ur ride Josh? It seems they changed the routing at the last minute. I was doing the 103 mile route and I ended up actually only riding 94 miles and that included the ride from my house to the start and back home. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any turns, so I'm not sure what happened. Boy that wind coupled with those hills was miserable on the way back but I still finished with a 15mph average which is not too bad for this old guy
Old 04-01-14, 09:10 AM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hairy Hands
How was ur ride Josh? It seems they changed the routing at the last minute. I was doing the 103 mile route and I ended up actually only riding 94 miles and that included the ride from my house to the start and back home. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any turns, so I'm not sure what happened. Boy that wind coupled with those hills was miserable on the way back but I still finished with a 15mph average which is not too bad for this old guy
Overall, the ride was good, but it was a rough 2nd half. I ended up with right under 80 miles. They did changed the route, we stayed off of HWY 21 altogether. I was very disappointed in the lunch they provided. It was really good in years past, but this time it was a cold sandwich that was so dry that I could barely swallow it.
Old 05-01-14, 02:50 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm down in the Houston area at the moment at the MD Anderson center and I am looking for people to ride with. My first time here so I have no idea on where to go, where are the bike shops or what time are the rides. A little about myself: 26yo male, Group A-B rider but I really don't care as long as I get to ride with somebody and I'm up for local club rides. Can't do any events due to being a bit time crunched and mobility is limited since I have to be relatively close to the center.

Any recommendations? Open to any 25-50 mile rides around the area for Saturday and Sunday.

THanks
Old 05-01-14, 03:33 PM
aggarcia

Bikes: 14 Ridely Noah RS, 09 Trek 2.1, 10 Trek 7.1 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many of the local biek stores have weeknight and Sat/Sun rides. I would check their websites for me details. I have ridden with BikeSport's Wed night group. I ride with Pearland Cycling Club on many Saturday's, so they are an option. Riding in the country side is much nicer and safer than in town rides.
Old 05-01-14, 07:40 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggarcia
Many of the local biek stores have weeknight and Sat/Sun rides. I would check their websites for me details. I have ridden with BikeSport's Wed night group. I ride with Pearland Cycling Club on many Saturday's, so they are an option. Riding in the country side is much nicer and safer than in town rides.
Thank you, I am trying to do something that is fairly close to the medical center so I don't need to leave my parents without a car. I know Bike Barn has a ride Sunday morning from their Rice University location but I am looking for a Saturday group that isn't too far from the facility. The Pearland club looks very nice however and I may tell my parents to drop me off there sat morning.
Old 05-01-14, 07:52 PM
jefft72

Bikes: Giant TCR, 03 Haro V3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking to join in on some group rides and it seems that there are quite a few routes out towards Alvin. I am sort of apprehensive about riding solo on a new ride, but may take a swing at it. My normal 10 mile loop is nice for a lunch ride, but I really want to get a weekend ride that is longer (20-30 miles?). I just need to get with it and hook up with one of the local shops and see what it's like.
Old 05-01-14, 09:54 PM
aggarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jefft72 - If your out in Alvin, then Pearland Cycling Club runs right through that area. They have 3 different speed groups that ride different mileage. They start at 518 just east of 288. There is east to find a group that is riding your speed and desired distance. I can not say what a good group to ride with PCC is. Check out there website for me details - Pearland Cycling Club - Home Page .

Now that the MS150 training season is over with, when I ride in town I ride with the PCC. I have a friend that has a standing ride in the Brenham area, so I try and get my hill rides in as often as possible.
Old 05-01-14, 10:12 PM
jefft72

Bikes: Giant TCR, 03 Haro V3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am in League City. I will check out the PCC site. As the weather warms up I will need to change from riding at lunch time to mornings. What are these hills you speak of? I have plans to ride the MS150 next year and the Bike Around the Bay this year.
Old 05-06-14, 01:22 PM
aggarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The PCC is having a training series for the Bike Around the Bay - Pearland Cycling Club - Bike Around the Bay Training Program . Many of the riders train for that ride in the Fall.

To do the MS150, one must be able to ride the hills. I am fortunate that I have a good group the rides the hills almost every weekend.
Old 05-07-14, 07:01 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I think I'm going to give Bike Around the Bay a shot this fall as well. If I can do the MS150, I can do that.

Me and bkj are signed up for the Rolling Hills Challenge this weekend. Hoping to do the 62 miles.
Old 05-08-14, 10:42 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have fun out in Columbus...there are some really nice areas out there. Hope the rain falls heavily tomorrow because we need it, and then goes away before you are riding.
Old 05-08-14, 08:37 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Yeah I'm a little worried about the rain. Figures, right?
Old 05-10-14, 04:07 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Anyone else make the trek out to Columbus this morning (Rolling Hills Challenge)? bkj and I had a good time. It was a very pretty ride, but those rolling hills kicked my ass. Luckily bkj pulled me through.
the burgers served at the end were delicious omg
Old 05-11-14, 12:01 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

So I discovered this morning I ran over something during the Rolling Hills Challenge yesterday because my rear tire is flat. Must have happened late in the ride because I am pretty sure I wasn't riding on a flat tire. So weird. For all I know I could have picked it up while walking my bike back to my apartment lol.

*shakes fist*
Old 05-12-14, 05:35 PM
datsme40

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek 7.2 FX, Specialized Tricross Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to say hi from out in Katy. Found this sight a while back, but only found the Texas forum last week. First season riding (started in the fall) and did several of the rides mentioned, including the MS150.

Was wondering if any of you road with the Bike Barn or Bicycle World on their saturday rides. I'm still new and would probably be in the 'no drop' group at least to start. Still working on dropping weight so I can get up to the pace groups.
Old 05-12-14, 09:59 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Welcome!

I haven't done any of the group rides - most of them are with riders that are too hardcore roadie for me - minimum pace of 16? I'd need a tailwind the whole time. While it's an OK way to meet people, maybe, I prefer to ride at my own pace and leisure out in Bush or Terry Hershey. And I've had the pleasure of showing a few other cyclists how to make the most out of riding in Bush because they don't know about the Mason Creek Greenway.
Old 05-13-14, 11:37 AM
bkj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Howdy datsme40. This is a good site, there's lots to learn here. I've never ridden with the in-town groups. I get most of my miles on the commute, and like the sci guy says I ride a few favorite trails and paths. The closest thing to group rides for me are the numerous charity or t-shirt rides. I've signed up for quite a few of them this year. Maybe one evening this summer I'll ride up to Bike Barn and tag along with them.
Old 05-21-14, 06:06 AM
jtolive

Bikes: 2006 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
. And I've had the pleasure of showing a few other cyclists how to make the most out of riding in Bush because they don't know about the Mason Creek Greenway.
I have ridden TH/Bush almost daily for years and never heard any area referred to as the Mason Creek Greenway. Are you referring to connector that goes from the TH Gazebo under I-10 then goes left or right for a short ways but does not connect to more trails - just dumps you out to roads?
Old 05-21-14, 07:06 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
You guys can find group rides out of Zube park every Saturday morning. They have 4 groups that ride at different speeds. The beginner group is a no drop group and they go about 12 or 14 mph. The next group goes 15 to 17 mph, that's the one I usually go on, but it ends up going 17 to 20. The other guys go balls out and I just tried that once, not fun for me. I not sure about the beginners ride, but all the rides are 40 m miles. Anyhow Zube Park is up on 290 and Katy Hockley road. You get of 290 and go north about a mile and it's right on the right. You cant miss it with all the cars parked in the lot. The rides start at 7:30 sharp. I did join the NWCC, but you don't have to. I'm the old guy with the Specialized Roubaix, have fun.
Old 05-22-14, 12:36 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jtolive
I have ridden TH/Bush almost daily for years and never heard any area referred to as the Mason Creek Greenway. Are you referring to connector that goes from the TH Gazebo under I-10 then goes left or right for a short ways but does not connect to more trails - just dumps you out to roads?
I believe he is referring to the section that goes from south of the Harris County Annex west out to Fry Road. A lot of folks who ride Terry Hershey out into GBP don't realize that if you keep going where the path ends by the Annex and turn left, there is another section of paths that can add about 15 miles round trip and is generally less crowded than the Terry Hershey segment east of Hwy 6.
Old 05-23-14, 11:16 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by jtolive
Nope.
If you ride GBP all the way out west to Fry Road (where the paved trail ends, theres a gate a few picnic tables etc, a Walgreens is across the street) - this is basically where 99.99999% of people stop. Some you will see cross the street straight through the intersection and go up the road. Don't do that.
Instead, cross the street and go into the park to the right, follow the path through the park along Fry Road (so, heading NE), the park goes about 2 blocks, you'll cross a side street, and go past a car wash place, then right as you get to the bridge, there's an entrance to the greenway.

Here, I illustrated:

here's a map from my Map My Ride - this is basically the entire THP + GBP route, with the little extra that goes under I-10 from the Gazebo/Playground on Memorial Dr. The only piece missing is the mile out and back on Mason Creek that goes left at the fork to near where Bike Barn Katy is.

It's 48.8 miles - with the out and back that I skipped, it'd be 50.

Old 05-27-14, 08:56 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

So, did those maps work?

Also, anyone thinking of doing the katy flatland century ride? Katy Flatland Century Ride
I think i might sign up for the metric century - 63 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.