Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Older Specialized Allez SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 12:48 PM
debit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older Specialized Allez SE

The CL ad reads: ITS nice shape smaller size frame reddish with hint of orange,older14 speed bike,,30" standover and 21" from crank up top bar,,tires old,,mavic,,Bicycle needs pedals ,bike needs some TLC

The asking price is $160. What do you guys think: diamond in the rough, potential decent bike or avoid because of some obvious flaw other than filth and missing parts?

Old 07-08-12, 02:12 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked 2,412 Times in 903 Posts
As a keeper/project, I'd jump on it. Could do OK as a filp if you have the skillz. Classic looks....
Old 07-08-12, 04:34 PM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be a keeper/project for sure. Once a bike enters my house they don't ever seem to leave. Thanks! I'm going to give the seller a call.
Old 07-08-12, 05:06 PM
irvri

Bikes: 3Rensho Super Record Export, Zunow Z-1, Andy Gilmour Breakaway, Sycip 26er

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once that's cleaned up that will be a nice bike!, $160 is a good price but I'd try to get it for less, I mean the rear wheel isn't even on all the way
Old 07-08-12, 07:40 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Missing parts = try for a discount. Great as a keeper, doubtful if you'd make any money on it though.
Old 07-09-12, 11:04 AM
fas2c
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the dropouts to see if they are Campy if so it could be a 3Rensho. The production Specailized SEs were blue, I think the Red versions were made by Yoshi Kono or a very early SE Production. If so $$

Otherwise it is still a great frameset Tange or Ishiwata tubing, Shimano 600 hardware. Parting out components would yeild the asking price.
Old 07-09-12, 08:45 PM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, no luck on the Campy dropouts, and the components are Suntour (Superbe on the RD) and the RD appears to have been crunched. The paint and the decals are in rough shape, someone wrote Ottomatic in a sharpie on both the rims and did I mention the paint? But, I paid the asking price. The seller was an old guy, possibly (probably) homeless and most likely pulled the bike from a scrap heap. But he was nice, and once he got over being dumbfounded that I was a woman instead of a guy, seemed rather apologetic about the bike and the lack of pedals. So he gave me a wheel he had hanging around. I thanked him without really looking at it, loaded up the bike and got home. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be funny if...and sure enough. It's a Campy Record hub.

Anyway, here's the serial and a couple other shots.

The poor, sad thing.
Old 07-09-12, 09:33 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 387 Posts
I think you did really well and half of the fun of this hobby is making the diamonds in the rough shine. Post up some photos of the bike once it is cleaned up and ready to ride in the main forum.
Old 07-09-12, 09:40 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked 2,412 Times in 903 Posts
That's super-cool that you got it. Nice bonus on the wheel. It will be a fun project and worth the effort.
Old 07-09-12, 10:02 PM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
I think you did really well and half of the fun of this hobby is making the diamonds in the rough shine. Post up some photos of the bike once it is cleaned up and ready to ride in the main forum.
Thanks and you're absolutely right. I can't wait to get started on it.

Originally Posted by thinktubes
That's super-cool that you got it. Nice bonus on the wheel. It will be a fun project and worth the effort.
Thank you as well. I really appreciate how generous everyone here can be with their knowledge and support.
Old 07-11-12, 08:28 PM
merganser22

Bikes: 04' Giant Cypress ST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!! I have one of those from the mid 80's with almost complete 105 components. Haven't really ridden many road bicycles (this, and a mid 80's Ross something) though this rides great, and seems really really quick. Absolutely LOVE mine. Good luck and can't wait to see the after pics. Mine came with yellow bar tape as well...they look sharp with white tape and am slowly changing over to white accessories like saddle, pedals, and bottle cages.