Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 02:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...who exactly are these people ?
Spend a little more time around here, particularly in threads that reference tubeless tires, cf wheels, and the like. It's pretty obvious.

..yet if you read any length in any of those threads, you see people saying they're just overkill for that person's particular needs and usage. Methinks thou dost protest too much, lady. Case in point:
you feel using old stuff to ride around on is beneath you, and that you would express such sentiment repeatedly in "general cycling". Mostly the saddest part is that you lack the self awareness that allows you to write "Or they egotistically believe their use-cases to be universal.." , and miss that it might describe many of your points of argument on this topic.
You've lost the plot: I've never told anyone to change their equipment, nor pretended that my own use-cases are universal; my objections are to uninformed people spreading misinformation about newer tech -- tech that they obviously don't understand and have not tried. (And for what it's worth, I was just out in the garage for the past hour working on my steel-framed 9 speed bike that has rim brakes and -- GASP -- inner tubes!)

Originally Posted by genejockey
Kinda feels like you're reading a lot more into that post than is there.
Yup.
Old 02-05-24, 02:30 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Good video.

(The sight of all those corncobs makes my knees ache!)
The best part about is no commentation. Just the sights and sounds. In today's world of overproduced sports(overproduced everything), it's a breath of fresh air. No fireworks, lights shows or hype men/women.

Last edited by seypat; 02-05-24 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 02:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's better, more convenient, and probably safer. I wouldn't want to go back to DT shifting on my main bike. ...
...yes, you ride a lot in groups or on trails. I don't doubt at all it's better and probably safer in those circumstances. I, on the other hand, ride solo most days, and pretty much on asphalt. For me, integrated shifters are just overkill, and I dislike the need to return my hands to the hoods in order to shift. I have brifters on some bicycles, so the idea that I have just never experienced the joy of integrated shifters is mistaken. They work fine, I know how to use them.

That won't prevent the repetition of it ad infinitum.

I would not ride fast in a close group with someone using friction DT. Or if I had to, I'd maintain a large gap between us. But the chances of me riding in a group is pretty limited at this point. Not my thing. That's more of a road thing.
Old 02-05-24, 02:40 PM
seypat

...first generation indexed Dura Ace. I remember it fondly.
That could of been the beginning of the end. Seems like that group isn't compatible with any other Shimano stuff. I could be wrong.
Old 02-05-24, 02:43 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Koyote
Spend a little more time around here, particularly in threads that reference tubeless tires, cf wheels, and the like. It's pretty obvious.
...that is unlikely to happen. But I did ask who those people are. I'm not going looking because I've seen what happens in the last year's epic heavier is better wheel rims thread. I already gave.

You've lost the plot: I've never told anyone to change their equipment, nor pretended that my own use-cases are universal; my objections are to uninformed people spreading misinformation about newer tech -- tech that they obviously don't understand and have not tried. (And for what it's worth, I was just out in the garage for the past hour working on my steel-framed 9 speed bike that has rim brakes and -- GASP -- inner tubes!)
...if you can find someplace where I've said anything, other than disc brakes might be overkill for a lot of use cases, as well as tubeless, I'd like to see it. If there are people coming in here from the C+V, picking on you, I apologize for them. But I have seen the unholy likes alliance in full swing here, and it quickly becomes a lesson in group dynamics. I try very hard not to post advice about stuff I haven't personally experienced.

Yet it seems to have been my posting that triggered your rant about C+V bullies, invading the general cycling forum. The timing coincidence seems to be an unavoidable fact. If it was not intended to address me, I was thoroughly fooled. So congratulations.

Yup.
...see above. I'm over and out, having once again overstayed my welcome.
Old 02-05-24, 02:44 PM
seypat

I'll say that most any other brand of STI out there is an improvement over the crunchy, long throw of a Shimano brake lever shift.
Old 02-05-24, 02:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by seypat
That could of been the beginning of the end. Seems like that group isn't compatible with any other Shimano stuff. I could be wrong.
...it was new, and it worked precisely and flawlessly. Why would you care about compatibility, when there would be newer and better stuff next year ? Sell it to some retrogrouch and move on.
Old 02-05-24, 03:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
...yes, you ride a lot in groups or on trails. I don't doubt at all it's better and probably safer in those circumstances. I, on the other hand, ride solo most days, and pretty much on asphalt. For me, integrated shifters are just overkill, and I dislike the need to return my hands to the hoods in order to shift. I have brifters on some bicycles, so the idea that I have just never experienced the joy of integrated shifters is mistaken. They work fine, I know how to use them.

I would not ride fast in a close group with someone using friction DT. Or if I had to, I'd maintain a large gap between us. But the chances of me riding in a group is pretty limited at this point. Not my thing. That's more of a road thing.
When I started riding with a road club there weren't any brifters. Most everyone had DT. A friend raced and did quite well with bar ends. Freaked other racers out but I guess they got used to it when he was winning a lot.

I used friction on some of my mountain bikes. Always had triples until 2018 when I bought a mountain bike with a 1by. It's an XT 11 speed and it's great.
Old 02-05-24, 03:12 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
In my Porsche and Acura(s), I often used to shift down through each gear as I came to a stop, using the transmission to lower speed and better control the car. Plus, it's fun.
According to Click and Clack that's the wrong way to come to a stop. Dropping a gear isn't the same as Downshifting through every one, like it's the proper way to decelerate.
Old 02-05-24, 03:22 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
...??? indexed bar ends are (or at least were for a while) readily available for those who find brifters to be uncomfortable in certain situations. I have some on a couple of bicycles...mostly more touring and utility setups, where I don't plan on standing on the pedals very much. The downside with bar ends is if you hit one with your knee. I guess they might be viewed as niche products in the age of "take my brifters from my cold, dead hands." But I have never experienced them as such.

Just another way to shift the chain without stopping and doing it by hand.
"niche" isn't a criticism - as I said, I used bar-ends once and I liked them fine. I'm using "niche" here because bar-ends represent such a small proportion of shifters out there that, for a general discussion of friction- vs indexed shifting, they don't really warrant inclusion. Clearly people use them and like them - just not that many.
Old 02-05-24, 03:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
The best part about is no commentation. Just the sights and sounds. In today's world of overproduced sports(overproduced everything), it's a breath of fresh air. No fireworks, lights shows or hype men/women.
This weekend, I watched video coverage of the CX World Championships that had no commentary. It was pretty nice.
Old 02-05-24, 03:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I'll say that most any other brand of STI out there is an improvement over the crunchy, long throw of a Shimano brake lever shift.
Hmmm...I prefer Shimano STI over Campy Ergo. My opinion is only based on the 5yo Campy Record 11s on my Storck, however. Compared to Shimano (I've used 8, 9, 10, and 11s), Campy feels less refined. My only SRAM experience is XX1 1x12 on my MTB, and I like it just fine.
Old 02-05-24, 03:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts

"'Return'?"
"Forget it. He's rolling."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-05-24, 03:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
...that is unlikely to happen. But I did ask who those people are. I'm not going looking because I've seen what happens in the last year's epic heavier is better wheel rims thread. I already gave.

...if you can find someplace where I've said anything, other than disc brakes might be overkill for a lot of use cases, as well as tubeless, I'd like to see it. If there are people coming in here from the C+V, picking on you, I apologize for them. But I have seen the unholy likes alliance in full swing here, and it quickly becomes a lesson in group dynamics. I try very hard not to post advice about stuff I haven't personally experienced.

Yet it seems to have been my posting that triggered your rant about C+V bullies, invading the general cycling forum. The timing coincidence seems to be an unavoidable fact. If it was not intended to address me, I was thoroughly fooled. So congratulations.

...see above. I'm over and out, having once again overstayed my welcome.
I think it was somebody else.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-05-24, 03:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I dislike the need to return my hands to the hoods in order to shift.
Just curious...Where are your hands most of the time?

For me, on a drop bar bike, I'm on the hoods way more often than not.
Old 02-05-24, 04:20 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

For me, on a drop bar bike, I'm on the hoods way more often than not.
On an older road bike with non-aero brake levers, it often makes sense to fit it so that the drops are a primary cruising position. Whereas modern hoods are designed as handrests, those hoods are better thought of as grip nubs, both due to the shape of the hoods and the brake lever geometry (which is similar to the brake levers of flat bars, and not optimized for operation from the "back" of the lever like on modern brifters).

This approach has obvious benefits when using bar-end shifters, but it also provides relatively direct access to the shifters when they're on the downtube. If the bike fits well and you're in the drops, there's not much "reaching" to the shifters, you just sort of let your arm drop inwards and your hand gets where it needs to be.
Old 02-05-24, 04:34 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by HTupolev
On an older road bike with non-aero brake levers, it often makes sense to fit it so that the drops are a primary cruising position. Whereas modern hoods are designed as handrests, those hoods are better thought of as grip nubs, both due to the shape of the hoods and the brake lever geometry (which is similar to the brake levers of flat bars, and not optimized for operation from the "back" of the lever like on modern brifters).

This approach has obvious benefits when using bar-end shifters, but it also provides relatively direct access to the shifters when they're on the downtube. If the bike fits well and you're in the drops, there's not much "reaching" to the shifters, you just sort of let your arm drop inwards and your hand gets where it needs to be.
Even on my bike with non-aero brake levers and friction DT shifters, I tend to ride on the hoods more, but then again the saddle-bar drop is set up that way on my bike. That said, I don't ride that bike very much.

If you're riding in the drops on an STI bike, there is no need to move up to the hoods to use any of the controls. Everything is at your fingertips without having to let go of the handlebar at all. That's why I asked 3alarmer's for a clarification on the comment.
Old 02-05-24, 05:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
According to Click and Clack, that's the wrong way to come to a stop.
Thanks, but I don't know what that is and now I also don't want to know what that is.
Old 02-05-24, 05:10 PM
Koyote

I was not referring to you, nor was I attempting to fool you; like most of us, you just want to believe that everything is about you.

To my knowledge, you're not one of the posters providing misinfo about all of these newfangled thingamajigies.

By the way, you mentioned that you asked me to name names...Surely you've been around here long enough (as have I) to know that that is a no-no.
Old 02-05-24, 05:17 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
If you're riding in the drops on an STI bike, there is no need to move up to the hoods to use any of the controls.
No, but the shifting ergonomics usually aren't as good from the drops. When doing complex shifts (like a front shift with a lot of compensatory rear shifting), I'll sometimes put one or both hands on the hoods before initiating it, to make it easier to resolve the shift quickly once it begins.

Electronic drivetrains can substantially alleviate this, due to the light button action and freedom of shifter placement, and optional automatic shift patterns.
Old 02-05-24, 05:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Thanks, but I don't know what that is and now I also don't want to know what that is.
It refers to the two hosts of Car Talk, a program that ran on NPR from the mid 70s until roughly 10 years ago. It was a call-in show about cars with a very heavy emphasis on humor.
Old 02-05-24, 07:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...my hands wander all over the bar. I move them a lot. And I can do double shifts (F+R) with one hand with DT shifters. This is important to me when I am riding on something set up with half step gearing. But what is important to me is less important to you. I think that was my original point.

I was not referring to you, nor was I attempting to fool you; like most of us, you just want to believe that everything is about you.

To my knowledge, you're not one of the posters providing misinfo about all of these newfangled thingamajigies.

...I don't mind quoting you from the recent tire width/pressures thread, just FYI.

Wait a minute: aren't you on a (heavy) old steel frame?
And you forgot this one: skinny tires pumped to rock-hard psi are slower than somewhat wider tires at lower psi in real-world riding conditions.
Sure, but it's still a mystery: you're choosing poorer performance on every metric -- speed, comfort, durability -- for no apparent gain.

You do you, of course. But it's weird. Perhaps you should try something different and see if you prefer it.
For starters, that's not what I wrote or suggested, although the lightest steel frames are indeed heavier than even mid-level cf frames.

The poster to whom I was responding doesn't ride one of the lightest steel frames; far from it, in fact.

And it is weird for a person riding a heavy old steel frame to then cite weight as a factor for not riding tires that are both faster and more comfortable.
So forgive me for thinking that, yes, maybe you do have a tendency to preach about what to ride, and how it should be ridden. You might, at this point, be unaware of how you've dropped into a style of mansplaining stuff to people who might actually know almost as much as you do, about things bicycle. But I can tell you, from personal experience, that it's obvious from your contributions along the way.

I'm happy you have a 9 cogged rear on one of your (steel framed) bicycles. That you consider that, somehow, as a credential for expert commentary on what does, and does not, work well for a variety of user demographics says something. I'm just not sure what it says, exactly.

Here was my own, naive but well meaning, initial post in that thread:

...most of my dry weather bikes have 700x25's on them currently. Those I mostly inflate to 120-130 psi. I do have some wet weather setups with fenders, and on those I use wider tires, like 28's or 32's. If I rode regularly on rougher surfaces, I would certainly use wider tires, even in dry weather.
But I'm not going to get sucked into any more of this. I went for a short run in a break between storms here, had a late lunch of hash and eggs, and now plan a leisurely shower. Wish me luck on the water temperature, because I wouldn't want to violate current popular norms on that. I know that back in the olde days, cold showers were popular in the athletic literature.
Old 02-05-24, 07:59 PM
Koyote

...I don't mind quoting you from the recent tire width/pressures thread, just FYI.

So forgive me for thinking that, yes, maybe you do have a tendency to preach about what to ride, and how it should be ridden. You might, at this point, be unaware of how you've dropped into a style of mansplaining stuff to people who might actually know almost as much as you do, about things bicycle. But I can tell you, from personal experience, that it's obvious from your contributions along the way.

But I'm not going to get sucked into any more of this. I went for a short run in a break between storms here, had a late lunch of hash and eggs, and now plan a leisurely shower. Wish me luck on the water temperature, because I wouldn't want to violate current popular norms on that. I know that back in the olde days, cold showers were popular in the athletic literature.
In the context of the thread, those quotes mean something very different than is suggested by your cherry-picking...and your petulant condescension makes your "mansplaining" accusation seem like a bit of projection.

Hope you enjoy the shower. It'll give you a chance to be all wet, and not just figuratively.
Old 02-05-24, 08:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
...my hands wander all over the bar. I move them a lot. And I can do double shifts (F+R) with one hand with DT shifters. This is important to me when I am riding on something set up with half step gearing.
Shifting through the down tube may sound simple, but one can't help but imagine contorted hand gymnastics reminiscent of a bicycle-based Rubik's Cube. The elegance of simplicity might be debatable in this case.
Old 02-05-24, 08:24 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
With DT shifters at least I don’t need to worry about cable fraying. And they’re lighter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.