Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano WH-R500 Hub Maintenace

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 07:52 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

Hey all. I just picked up a Shimano WH-R500 front wheel. It's tights and aligned, but upon spinning it has a slightly "gritty" sound and feel to it. Not huge, but concerning enough for me to want to clean out the hubs and repack the bearings. I've never done this before, but I'm pretty mechanical and have read and watched several sources on how to do this. I have all the tools and am ready to go. Just a few questions that I have:
1. Does anyone know the size of the bearings used in the front Shimano wheel? I'm pretty sure its 3/16. But just want to be sure. I may as well change out the bearings.
2. What hub grease do you like? I see Park Tools grease has a good rep, plus another product called "Finish Line Gease." But, I've found through the years working on machines and tools that just about any modern grease works well with most stuff. I've used Lucas Oil Red & Tacky with lots of stuff. Anyone have an opinion about using the Lucas grease for this project?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-23, 08:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://si.shimano.com/ja/pdfs/ev/WH...-F-EU-2652.pdf

I personally use marine wheel bearing grease from Fleet Farm I use for trailers
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-01-23, 08:20 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Thick, sticky grease works well to preserve the bearings, but it isn't exactly the most efficient choice.
Old 10-01-23, 08:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Talk about efficiency of different lubes is so misplaced when the bearing tracks are pitted and worn out. Fix the base problem before wondering about grease thickness. And refresh/clean and grease those bearings far sooner than has been, likely, done so far to better avoid future grinding. Andy
Old 10-01-23, 08:31 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Talk about efficiency of different lubes is so misplaced when the bearing tracks are pitted and worn out. Fix the base problem before wondering about grease thickness. And refresh/clean and grease those bearings far sooner than has been, likely, done so far to better avoid future grinding. Andy
What do you mean? Buy one grease if the races are pitted and another if they are smooth?

I don't see what would ever make an appropriate bicycle grease stop being an appropriate bicycle grease.
Old 10-01-23, 08:33 PM
ArgoMan

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks dedhed. You nailed it! There's a diagram floating on the web! I even figured out the length the the QR I need. Thanks again!
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 10-02-23, 06:00 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Thanks dedhed. You nailed it! There's a diagram floating on the web! I even figured out the length the the QR I need. Thanks again!
https://si.shimano.com/en/

​​​​​​https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/

​​​​​​https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/archive
Old 10-02-23, 07:17 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by Kontact
What do you mean? Buy one grease if the races are pitted and another if they are smooth?

I don't see what would ever make an appropriate bicycle grease stop being an appropriate bicycle grease.
I don't know how or why you jumped to this conclusion as I wrote much the opposite. The type of grease isn't the issue and it won't hide the pitting/wear. The solution is to fix the grinding, meaning replace the worn parts. Whatever grease is used will become contaminated in time and thus want cleaning and refreshing periodically. The way to avoid bearing wear is to keep them clean lubed and properly adjusted, and not by only choosing a special grease.

BTW what will make a suitable grease not so might be it's contamination with grit/grime before application, as in an open tub sitting on a work bench for days/weeks and "collecting" crap on it. Andy
Old 10-02-23, 07:36 AM
Kontact 

I don't know how or why you jumped to this conclusion as I wrote much the opposite. The type of grease isn't the issue and it won't hide the pitting/wear. The solution is to fix the grinding, meaning replace the worn parts. Whatever grease is used will become contaminated in time and thus want cleaning and refreshing periodically. The way to avoid bearing wear is to keep them clean lubed and properly adjusted, and not by only choosing a special grease.

BTW what will make a suitable grease not so might be it's contamination with grit/grime before application, as in an open tub sitting on a work bench for days/weeks and "collecting" crap on it. Andy
I guess I don't understand why a discussion of what kind of grease is appropriate for bicycle hubs is ever "misplaced". Even if you decide to keep a pitted hub race in service, the correct answer to the question is "use bicycle grease".
Old 10-02-23, 07:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Talking about which bearing grease (and that's the best answer, a "bearing" grease) to use in a pitted and worn out bearing is as miss placed as rearranging the deck chairs on the sinking Titanic was. Andy
Old 10-02-23, 07:43 AM
Kontact 

Talking about which bearing grease (and that's the best answer, a "bearing" grease) to use in a pitted and worn out bearing is as miss placed as rearranging the deck chairs on the sinking Titanic was. Andy
I guess I missed where the OP is specifically asking for a grease that makes up for pitted races, rather than just asking for general info on rebuilding his hubs.
Old 10-02-23, 12:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,677 Posts
Kontact I don't think the OP was looking for a specific grease that makes up for pitted races and I think Andrew R Stewart was suggesting for folks to stop worrying about the grease used and focus on the actual issue at hand which is worn out and pitted races. I could be off base but I think from reading what he has written that is the most sensible meaning. It is also a sensible answer. People so often worry about the little things rather than the big issues that are causing problems.

Maybe a different metaphor could be helpful but still in the same vein:
Fix the hole in the leaky boat before worrying about what you should paint your boat. The paint could be quite important for various reasons but in the end it doesn't matter if there is a hole in the boat that could sink it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-02-23, 07:33 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Kontact I don't think the OP was looking for a specific grease that makes up for pitted races and I think Andrew R Stewart was suggesting for folks to stop worrying about the grease used and focus on the actual issue at hand which is worn out and pitted races. I could be off base but I think from reading what he has written that is the most sensible meaning. It is also a sensible answer. People so often worry about the little things rather than the big issues that are causing problems.

Maybe a different metaphor could be helpful but still in the same vein:
Fix the hole in the leaky boat before worrying about what you should paint your boat. The paint could be quite important for various reasons but in the end it doesn't matter if there is a hole in the boat that could sink it.
I think that this is a public forum, and a question about how to service a hub is an opportunity to put out general information for anyone reading the thread. I have no idea if the OP's races are damaged or if he is just discussing a hub that was just dry, or tight, or had debris in it. So the question about grease seemed entirely relevant, and not dependent on whether an actual examination of the races turns up damage or not.

If this is your hub, what are you going to do? You're going to overhaul it. If it turns out there is damage, you'll probably finish the overhaul and ride it until you can replace the hub. So we're back to "What grease, what size bearings?"

Last edited by Kontact; 10-02-23 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-02-23, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I think that this is a public forum, and a question about how to service a hub is an opportunity to put out general information for anyone reading the thread. I have no idea if the OP's races are damaged or if he is just discussing a hub that was just dry, or tight, or had debris in it. So the question about grease seemed entirely relevant, and not dependent on whether an actual examination of the races turns up damage or not.
That is correct to a point but again I think you are just missing his point still.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-02-23, 07:39 PM
Kontact 

That is correct to a point but again I think you are just missing his point still.
I don't know what his point is. We don't know that the hub is damaged. Do you?
Old 10-02-23, 09:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Perhaps the OP will follow up with their assessment of the bearing condition after they take it apart. It sure sounds like they will find some rough spots/pitting though. Smooth ball tracks (cones and cups) usually don't have "a slightly "gritty" sound and feel to it" even when dry of lube. Andy
Old 10-03-23, 09:32 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I don't know what his point is. We don't know that the hub is damaged. Do you?
I mean we don't know for sure but from what is being described and being a used wheel a gritty feeling usually means some damage sometimes minor sometimes more major.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-03-23, 10:39 AM
Kontact 

I mean we don't know for sure but from what is being described and being a used wheel a gritty feeling usually means some damage sometimes minor sometimes more major.
I apologize for suggesting bike grease. It was inappropriate.
Old 10-03-23, 11:54 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I guess I don't understand why a discussion of what kind of grease is appropriate for bicycle hubs is ever "misplaced". Even if you decide to keep a pitted hub race in service, the correct answer to the question is "use bicycle grease".
The correct answer is use any auto grease you buy at an auto parts store. I would guess most bike grease is simply grease that has been rebranded and packaged as bike grease.
Likes For davidad:
Old 10-03-23, 12:00 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Once you open it up and clean and inspect the hub cup-and-cones and bearings for pitting you can replace the cones and the balls if the finish is gone grease and assemble. Adjust the bearings with a very small amount of play that goes away when the QR is closed.
I would clean, inspect and grease my hubs every 2500 miles and rarely have to replace the balls or cones.
Old 10-03-23, 12:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I apologize for suggesting bike grease. It was inappropriate.
Oh jeez, grease is fine.
Old 10-06-23, 08:26 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
AgroMan [I've used Lucas Oil Red & Tacky with lots of stuff. Anyone have an opinion about using the Lucas grease for this project?]

Yes Red and Tacky works fine for any bicycle bearings. Have it in multipal wheels ,bb's, pedals and headsets
Old 10-06-23, 09:21 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
....Even if you decide to keep a pitted hub race in service, the correct answer to the question is "use bicycle grease".
And by "bicycle grease", you mean high-quality marine grease, right?
Old 10-06-23, 09:40 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
As you've learned, you need 3/16" ball bearings. It is important to pay attention to the grade. Don't buy them at the hardware store - those are usually Grade 100.. (Lower numbers are better.) Your Shimano hub and most other decent bicycle hubs are built with Grade 25. Campagnolo uses Grade 10.

I use these. You'll see that even the good ones are pretty cheap, which makes it a no-brainer to just toss the old ones and put new ones in, any time you service a hub.

3/16 INCH Chrome Ball, Grade 25, (100 Count) 3/16 in Chrome GR.25 Balls (100)

As for grease, marine grease is perfect. A lot of people also like Lucas Red & Tacky. Actually any high-quality grease made for wheel bearings is fine - there's no difference between the bearings in a bicycle hub than those in any other wheel.

You can also buy similar grease in a smaller tube and a much higher price, if you want. Look for something with the word "Bicycle" on the label.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 10-06-23 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-06-23, 10:49 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
And by "bicycle grease", you mean high-quality marine grease, right?
I'm not a grease expert, so I'm not going to suggest equivalencies that I have no knowledge of. Basic bike grease is cheap, lasts for years and easy to get right.

But the point I was making is that "tacky grease" is not necessarily appropriate. Not sure why that basic message seems to piss so many of you off that I need to be corrected over and over.

I just looked up the cost of tubes of marine grease and Park. Guess which one came up more expensive?

Last edited by Kontact; 10-06-23 at 11:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.