Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

New to this type of freewheel any help?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-24, 04:41 PM
crimpshrine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all, had a question and was hoping someone here might be able to fill me in on what I have here. Was hoping to include a couple photos but guess I can't till I have 10 posts here.

I purchased a 24" DK Sprinter BMX that has a 17 tooth freewheel. I assumed it would be easy to throw on a 16 tooth 30mm or whatever the diameter is your typical BMX freewheels I have worked with in the past. I have a 26" Redline I replaced the stock freewheel on which reminded me of the same freewheels on my BMX bikes as a kid.

This looks nothing like what I have dealt with in the past. I believe it is a mini hub cassette Cog? That with this type of "Freewheel" it is a modular type solution or something? That you just somehow pop off the Cog then replace just the cog with what you want? I have 0 idea how you get this Cog off the wheel.

Here are a couple pictures of a closeup of the freewheel on this rim. (NOT INCLUDED) Any help would be greatly appreciated. What might work as a replacement for what I have (14 or 15T) and how you get this cog off this hub? In the first picture I have red arrows pointing to what I believe is notches in a piece that is screwed onto the hub that helps lock the cog into place. I assume that behind that cog is a spacer, then the cog then the outer piece that is screwed onto the hub? Do I need a special tool like I have for removing my old freewheels to connect to each of the notches to use a impact wrench or something to get it off the hub? Can anyone link to a tool that would allow me to get the outer band thing off?

There looks to be 6 notches in the outer ring. And 9 notches on the hub that the cog must slide over.

I just checked to see if the DK bikes webpage on this model gives a close up picture of the freewheel but do not see one.

Edit:

I already have my tool but figured I would add my photos now that I am at post count 10. In case someone else finds this thread if it helps them.

Last edited by crimpshrine; 04-05-24 at 05:25 PM. Reason: 10 post count I think I can add photo's now.
Old 03-31-24, 04:48 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Not sure, but I think you're in freehub vs freewheel quandary. Check out Park Tool's info, is this any help?

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...freewheel-type
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-31-24, 07:46 PM
crimpshrine

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hi, thanks! That has me pointed in the right direction!

I only get 5 posts a day right now so I was not able to respond. I ordered a HCW-17 last night and sure enough it removes the outer band without issue and now I can remove the 17 tooth cog to replace with a smaller one.

Thanks!!
Likes For crimpshrine:
Old 04-05-24, 05:33 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by crimpshrine
Hi, thanks! That has me pointed in the right direction!

I only get 5 posts a day right now so I was not able to respond. I ordered a HCW-17 last night and sure enough it removes the outer band without issue and now I can remove the 17 tooth cog to replace with a smaller one.

Thanks!!
A smaller than 17T cog on a cruiser? How small a chainring are you running? 41 or 42 on the front and 18 on the back is normal gearing for a 24" race bike.

37 or 38 on the front with 16 on the rear.
Old 04-05-24, 07:48 AM
crimpshrine

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
A smaller than 17T cog on a cruiser? How small a chainring are you running? 41 or 42 on the front and 18 on the back is normal gearing for a 24" race bike.

37 or 38 on the front with 16 on the rear.
I settled at the moment on 42 for front chainring and 15 on the cog for the freewheel. That seems to be a good balance for me in my limited riding I have been able to do since the switch. (weather still iffy) Will have to see when it gets nicer here in the next week.

It started at 40/17.
Old 04-05-24, 10:09 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by crimpshrine
I settled at the moment on 42 for front chainring and 15 on the cog for the freewheel. That seems to be a good balance for me in my limited riding I have been able to do since the switch. (weather still iffy) Will have to see when it gets nicer here in the next week.

It started at 40/17.
Are you going to try any racing? If you're racing 42:15 is crazy high gearing and will make you slow out of the gate, and in general will make the bike accelerate more slowly.
Old 04-05-24, 10:41 AM
crimpshrine

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Ahh yeah, no not racing. Just for fun/exercise really. I also have a 26" Redline I have been riding for the last couple of years that I really enjoy. Just feels a little more cumbersome compared to my recollection of 20" days from being a kid. Someone had recommended I try a 24" and I just wanted to get it a little closer to my 26" I think my gear ratio is the same on that.
Likes For crimpshrine: