Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

REI rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 01:23 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
REI is basically Walmart but with fancy doors with ice hammers for handles
Trying hard to sound foolish.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-23-20, 01:29 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by veganbikes
REI generally does not have the greatest of bike departments. They may sell some quality brands and even their house brand is fine but they are not a great bike shop. Massive chain stores tend not to always focus enough on their mechanics and are usually a place to start for a lot of kids but not a place many want to stay or want to do the most quality work. There are of course exceptions to the rule in different areas. That being said most shops including REI offer a free tune up or checkover once you purchase the bike. Bring it back to them and they should be able to take a look at it.

They should have put your bike together and checked it over. Every new bike should always be checked over by the head mechanic and should go through an exit tune where it is again checked. I know right now every shop that is open is busy and everyone is stressed. Unfortunately mistakes are being made because so much is being put on us and we barely have time to breathe.

If you are currently on the frontlines you know your customers are angry getting angrier and maybe not specifically at you but certainly are taking it out on you. You gotta just back up and try not to take it personally and just do the best damn job you can. For those coming to the shop please take your anger somewhere else, be nice, be kind, be understanding. If you are out of work, I am sorry, things suck right now for everyone. I am glad to have a job but it is more stressful then it has ever been. Imagine the most popular store on Black Friday, every day for however long this has been going on, that is our life right now. Let's all try to get through this together and just treat each other as human beings and try to be as mellow as possible.
And this is dependent on the REI. It's not remotely the case. where I am.

REI will tune the bike. But if you don't live near anything then what? I mean if an LBS isn't near by, and an REI isn't near by then how would you do this?

I would never buy a boxed bike. I can order one of these, and pick it up even now. Although the store isn't opened. That's what the OP should have done.

You can return the bike.........

And this nonsense about typical bike owners.. REI sells bikes approaching $10,000. How it that typical.

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-23-20 at 01:32 PM.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-23-20, 02:41 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by onyerleft
REI might not have the world's best bike mechanics, but they are the most honest of any shop I've been in - FACT.

The bikes shops around here cater to the very well off. I don't think all of the LBS's are dishonest, but I am not impressed with any of them.

If you want to buy a $6000 Santa Cruz, you go to the LBS. If you want to buy a $6000 Cannondale you go to REI.

One LBS is big on Soma, and Specialized, the others like Trek, and Cannondale. One shop is higher end. I can get just about anything of similar quality from REI in similar price ranges. I can't get the customer service, or return policy from an LBS that I get from REI. They even compete with that higher end shop I mentioned. Which is a small local chain.

The notion that REI is low end is absurd. Is REI like Dicks? Dicks would be a better comparison for lower end, average for a chain type sports store. Not REI.

The problem is people are bored, and not patient. I would not buy a new bike now. The CO OP's will drop much more latter in the year, or early next year. That's when I would buy!

I would never pay a lot of money for a bike. That's me though!

(I would have bought the 3.1, the OP wants the racks.......)
Old 05-23-20, 02:45 PM
StarBiker

I still like that Salsa Fargo. $2200........can run 27.5 though. I would pony up half that price for that bike!
Old 05-23-20, 03:40 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by JW in AK
So what you're saying is you've never actually been inside of an REI.
I have been, its a soy laced lattes lovers heaven.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 05-23-20, 03:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
And this is dependent on the REI. It's not remotely the case. where I am.

REI will tune the bike. But if you don't live near anything then what? I mean if an LBS isn't near by, and an REI isn't near by then how would you do this?

I would never buy a boxed bike. I can order one of these, and pick it up even now. Although the store isn't opened. That's what the OP should have done.

You can return the bike.........

And this nonsense about typical bike owners.. REI sells bikes approaching $10,000. How it that typical.
Glad you have a good REI bike department, if that is all you have, that is fine. Go with what you got.

All bikes come boxed unless maybe you pick it up directly from the factory that made it and they haven't put it into a box yet.

I said nothing about typical bike owners. Not sure where you got that from? I re-read my piece and also double checked in my word processing software and found no mention.
Old 05-23-20, 03:48 PM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
I think New Castle PA is where it shipped from.
Old 05-23-20, 03:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
REI is not a big box store by any stretch of the imagination. To compare them to Walmart is so absurdly uninformed and idiotic, it borders on slander. I've been to FAR worse LBS.

Unlike Walmart and box stores, they tend to be a bit over-priced. Also unlike Walmart and box stores, they sell quality stuff and back it up with an extremely generous return policy. Unlike Walmart and box stores, they have many and varied member services, organize outdoor expeditions, etc.

We booked our family trip to the Galapagos through REI. It was an exceptional experience, and everything went very smoothly. It cost more than a mid-tier family car, but it was worth it. I defy you to find any big box store that does anything like that. The comparison is totally asinine.

REI is also a co-op, and pays its members dividends. The ones I have been to all have a bike shop within the store, and do most routine repairs. I've had my bikes worked on there, and I have purchased a bike for my kid there. They stock quality brands, including Cannondale and Bontrager, for example, as well as some unusual brands like Ghost (a German mountain bike company). Their own brand of bikes are also very solid and reasonably good value.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-23-20, 03:57 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
REI can't compete on prices but their service and return policy are first rate. I spent hours at my local store testing hiking boots. I could have bought the boots online for a little bit cheaper but that would be rotten. If I take up REI's customer service--I buy in store. If I'm comparison shopping, I'll buy the cheaper alternative, within reason. If it's something I'm not sure about or need time to test, I'll buy from REI. Plus, their member discounts make them competitive with online prices.

I also appreciate membership is a one time fee. I wouldn't be a member if it was an annual fee--I don't shop enough there to justify an ongoing cost.
Likes For tdonline:
Old 05-23-20, 04:06 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Glad you have a good REI bike department, if that is all you have, that is fine. Go with what you got.

All bikes come boxed unless maybe you pick it up directly from the factory that made it and they haven't put it into a box yet.

I said nothing about typical bike owners. Not sure where you got that from? I re-read my piece and also double checked in my word processing software and found no mention.
Somebody else said something about typical bike owners. I have everything under the sun around here. So many options, and can get to all of them without a car.

Of course they all come boxed, the difference is the OP is clueless, and a good mechanic would resolve the problem. Unless something is damaged which the OP can't help.

I have been stopping in my local REI for 10, of the 20 years they have been here. I have seen the bike shop filled with boxed bikes that the techs assemble........

The OP is in the middle of nowhere. That's what it sounds like at least.
Old 05-23-20, 04:09 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I often buy wear items at REI like tires, tubes, chains, cassettes, brakes, cables, BB etc. They're competitively priced, free ship to store if not in stock, plus the dividend.
I bought a crap load of cables and cable kits when they were phasing out the Novarra brand. When I lost a rubber strap for my Yakima rack, they pulled one off a display model and gave it to me. While I do most of my own work I'll still opt for Ben's if I need specialized service like a chase & face.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-23-20, 04:12 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
REI is not a big box store by any stretch of the imagination. To compare them to Walmart is so absurdly uninformed and idiotic, it borders on slander. I've been to FAR worse LBS.

Unlike Walmart and box stores, they tend to be a bit over-priced. Also unlike Walmart and box stores, they sell quality stuff and back it up with an extremely generous return policy. Unlike Walmart and box stores, they have many and varied member services, organize outdoor expeditions, etc.

We booked our family trip to the Galapagos through REI. It was an exceptional experience, and everything went very smoothly. It cost more than a mid-tier family car, but it was worth it. I defy you to find any big box store that does anything like that. The comparison is totally asinine.

I don't think you know what a big box store is

​​​​​Is it a big chain?
are the stores enormous?

Loving the business doesn't make it not a big box store
Old 05-23-20, 04:19 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Sounds like the issue is if you order a bike does REI just take the unopened box straight from the manufacturer and send that out in the mail OR do they set the bike up properly then dis assemble repack and ship?

That's a lot of work to unpack, test adjust and repack so it's entirely likely they skip those steps rather than paying a tech for an hour or so.

Not all customer will be able to properly set up a bike
Old 05-23-20, 04:21 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
This may seem like a sensible idea, but I like to read other peoples reviews BEFORE I buy from a store. That way I can make up my own mind and then, if I have a bad experience because I chose somewhere with a lot of bad reviews I know what I was getting into.

Then if it arrives in a poor state I can look it at it and go 'what oh, spiffity spiff. Looks like they gosh darn done a predictable job. Mighty fine. Lets fix their mess'

Remember also to compliment good service as much as berate poor service - Takes but a minute, what, what.
Old 05-23-20, 04:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Walmart, Home Depot, Best Buy and Ikea are examples of big-box retailers.

Nor does completely mischaracterizing it make it one.

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-23-20, 04:46 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I am still waiting for something that resembles a rant from the OP.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-23-20, 04:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am still waiting for something that resembles a rant from the OP.
TL;DR: He had to turn a bolt by himself.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-23-20, 05:43 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by wgscott
TL;DR: He had to turn a bolt by himself.
Guy sounds like he is being paid by a disgruntled LBS.

And this other character ....
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-23-20, 05:46 PM
StarBiker

[QUOTE=Tacoenthusiast;21493073]Sounds like the issue is if you order a bike does REI just take the unopened box straight from the manufacturer and send that out in the mail OR do they set the bike up properly then dis assemble repack and ship?

That's a lot of work to unpack, test adjust and repack so it's entirely likely they skip those steps rather than paying a tech for an hour or so.

Not all customer will be able to properly set up a bike[/QUOTE]

Old 05-23-20, 06:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I've always had good service at the KoP store, and Conshy before KoP opened.
Sorry. I meant Conshy. Don’t know what possessed me to write KoP.
Old 05-23-20, 06:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
REI is basically Walmart but with fancy doors with ice hammers for handles
Absurd.
Walmart is a discount retail store with low level customer service and product knowledge.
REI is a more specialized store with a much higher level of customer service and product knowledge.

This doesnt even get into the difference in product quality overall.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-23-20, 06:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Been into plenty of REIs
None of them are a real bike store, it's just a big box chain store
Don't get fooled by the pretty fake rock decorations
It isnt a real bike store, agreed. Thats because they don't try to be a real bike store.
They fill a space in the retail segment between general sporting goods and local bike shop. I use my local REI for very specific cycling needs since the in store inventory doesn't match much for how I ride. But to be fair, I also rarely use a couple very good local bike shops for the same reasons. Inventory is limited in person at both types of locations, but REI has what I need for tools and consumables.
Old 05-23-20, 06:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

​​​​​Is it a big chain?
are the stores enormous?
ha, 3 posts of yours responded to in a row, I didn't realize til this reply.

Big box retail is typically seen as more generalized instead of specialized inventory. It also typically has lower levels of customer service and product knowledge. Low priced are also often a driving force for business.

Obviously there can be more specialized big box retail- best buy being an example. But even then, the inventory, selection, and product knowledge there is usually lower than speciality stores.

I wouldn't say REI is the same style of store as walmart, target, or fleet farm, etc.
Old 05-23-20, 06:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Before the pandemic, did REI ship bikes directly to consumers or was it pick up in store only? Maybe this sales model is new to them. It's good to know how to fix your own bike, you can avoid a lot of drama.
Old 05-23-20, 06:48 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

No I think you had to pick them up, assembled and tested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.