Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

East Coast Greenway - Best Direction

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 06:22 AM
lindaandjon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

We're planning on shipping our Tandem and ourselves over to the USA this year to cycle the East Coast Greenway and wondered what peoples thoughts are on the best direction to do it, the best tome of year to set off and also the time we should allow for a leisurely journey cycling 5 or 6 days a week. We usually cycle around 50-60km a day (about 40 miles) but can go up to 100km on occasion.

Is there a best direction for wind assistance (we'd hate to spend the entire trip cycling into the wind!).

Many thanks
Jon and Linda
England
Old 01-31-16, 08:00 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Jon and Linda:

First, I am kind of jealous.

Second, are you aware that much of the Greenway is still unbuilt?

Third, should you decide to ride the route anyway, I will still be kind of jealous.

Fourth, I can't answer your specific question. Sorry.
Old 01-31-16, 08:18 AM
sing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prevailing wind direction is from west to east. In the winter, we do get winds from the northeast, associated with ocean storm's - nor'easters'- that come up the coast line. In the summers, the winds can take on a my southwester direction, associated with "Bermuda highs" that usher in warmer, muggier air.

The "Greenway" remain a fragmented rather than continuous route.

sing
Old 02-01-16, 01:01 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you are interested in a long-range bike trail that is already fully constructed, then you might want to try the route from Washington, DC to Pittsburgh via the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath (following the Potomac River from Washington to Cumberland, MD) and the Great Allegheny Passage (from Cumberland to Pittsburgh).

Here is the route as shown on Google Maps; and here is a map of the Washington, DC area with the bicycle layer activated. Here is the website of the Great Allegheny Passage. And here is a story that the New York Times did last year on travelling the route in the other direction.

I must mention that I have never ridden that route (to be honest, trail riding is not my cup of tea); so I cannot give any first-hand report about it. But I do know that it is complete, unlike the still mostly-theoretical East Coast Greenway.
Old 02-01-16, 01:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Yeah. In the state of Pennsylvania, the ECG is not very green at all. More importantly, it's not very bike friendly in a lot of places. The section through Chester and continuing south is particularly unappealing from a traffic and neighborhood perspective. Also understand that it's not all literally down the coast (i.e., along the ocean), although some of it may be in coastal areas.

If you want to ride along the east coast of the U.S. you might consider some or all of Adventure Cycling Association's Atlantic Coast route that runs between Bar Harbor, Maine and Key West, Florida, with spurs into Boston, Philadelphia and Washington D.C., which are major travel hubs:

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...tlantic-coast/

Either way, you probably don't want to start in the south at the height of summer due to the potential for high heat and humidity. A few years ago I ran into a couple who was riding north on ACA's Atlantic Coast Route on their tandem. I was heading south on a portion of the route during a three-day tour when we crossed paths in northern New Jersey. That was on an April 23rd according to my photo records. They had probably started in FL in March and were following the warmth north.

Are you planning on camping or staying in motels, etc.?
Old 03-21-16, 10:05 AM
chiefsilverback

Bikes: (N+1) - 1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's East Coast Green (Brown) way a couple of miles from my house in Rhode Island!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ECG.jpg (105.6 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by chiefsilverback; 03-21-16 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add location
Old 03-21-16, 10:16 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
As other have said their are a lot of dirt/sand/water on the unfinished Greenway. If you have a mountain bike you could do more miles, but in places the trail just disappear into a city, or it just ends.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 03-21-16 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-21-16, 10:18 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by chiefsilverback
Here's East Coast Green (Brown) way a couple of miles from my house in Rhode Island!
I rode through that a couple of times. Made it without having to put a foot down. !!!!
Old 03-21-16, 10:20 AM
chiefsilverback

Bikes: (N+1) - 1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I rode through that a couple of times. Made it without having to put a foot down. !!!!
I haven't ridden off road for a while and I was short on time, so the prospect of lots of wet/dirt mixed with all the sticks and branches sticking out the water made me turn around!
Old 03-21-16, 04:30 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you want to ride along the east coast of the U.S. you might consider some or all of Adventure Cycling Association's Atlantic Coast route that runs between Bar Harbor, Maine and Key West, Florida, with spurs into Boston, Philadelphia and Washington D.C., which are major travel hubs:

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...tlantic-coast/
Excellent advice.