Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Long Shen Lugs with Columbus Tubing

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 05:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts

In about a week the frame I have been putzing around with since January will be finished. This is my forth frame, but the first one not using Henry James lugs and True Temper tubing. My experience with Long Shen lugs and Columbus Life and SL tubing was very different from HJ lugs with TT tubing.

HJ lugs fit very nicely with TT tubing leaving just enough gap to sneak silver filler in. They also had more meat on them which proved useful when adjusting for frame angles. LS lugs and Columbus tubing was not as nicely matched. The gaps were noticeably bigger and required brass filler instead of silver. The lugs are beautifully thin, but chose not to grind them out to make adjustments for frame angles in fear of getting them too thin and grinding through or weakening the lug itself.

Something I read written in an article by Grant Peterson about 20 years ago came back to me this week. He stated HJ lugs and TT tubing were a good match for beginner builders. I understand why he said that, but also know that very experienced builders used that lug/tubing combo as well. My guess is the quality match between the two saved them a lot of work.
Old 04-18-20, 09:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Other more experienced builders might have more understanding about your comments but I'll speculate anyway. I suspect that the fit issues were due to the LS lugs. It's possible that they are designed for brass and production settings where tolerances are generally looser.

BTW congrats on the near completion of your 4th. Addictive isn't it. Andy.
Old 04-20-20, 07:10 PM
TiHabanero

Sure is addictive. Although I told my wife this is the last one, I am already thinking about what to build next. I have too much fun coming up with the design and putting it together to just give it up. Trouble I have now is there are simply too many frames! Seriously this needs to end.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-21-20, 09:12 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Sure is addictive. Although I told my wife this is the last one, I am already thinking about what to build next. I have too much fun coming up with the design and putting it together to just give it up. Trouble I have now is there are simply too many frames! Seriously this needs to end.

Haha! I said the same thing to my wife about 10 frames back. I've got about a dozen designs that I'd love to build as well just to build them. We are sitting right next to each other in the boat my friend.
Old 04-23-20, 04:46 PM
Roger Bloom

Bikes: Merckx Ti,Yeti ARC,Serotta NHX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve got the main triangle done on my first frame and am already super hooked. Ive already picked up surplus lugs and tubing from builders to stock up for more builds. I already have a lot of bikes so I’m just going to start building for my friends. I’m hoping to use their input to help dial in geometry and ride quality. It’s just going to be a hobby for me but like when I started home brewing beer, while I’m figuring out hopping rates and yeast pitching and temperature control my friends get the results.
Old 04-24-20, 08:38 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Long Shen makes all kinds of different lugs, including (as far as I know) those for Sach's, Llewellyn, and Pacenti. I'd caution against generalizing regarding fit and internal clearance.
Old 04-24-20, 09:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
other than the lugs they make for others, I'm pretty sure I have used some LS lugs and never seen any that were particularly loose.
Old 04-25-20, 03:10 AM
TiHabanero

For sure these things were very loose fitting. The HJ lugs and TT tubes always fit nicely with minimal clearance. The LS lugs with Columbus tubbing were very sloppy in comparison. Easily could move the tubes in the BB shell 2 degrees without needing to manipulate the lug. Same with the other lugs except for the seat tube lug. For some reason that fit more closely to the tubes. Anyway, the frame is done and painted, just waiting to clear coat. Hoping to see if the over sized down tube makes any difference in frame stiffness. I suspect it will not be noticeable when riding.