Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Group ride route/road choice.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 01:46 PM
smokeysurvival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all. I'm planning out a relaxed paced group ride/tour for a local cycling group that I'm in, in NYC, specifically Staten Island. If you don't know, Staten Island is the most car-centric and suburban like of all the 5 boroughs. I've never led a group ride before but I have been on a few in the other boroughs. I need a few opinions as a few of the group leaders don't believe my planned route is safe enough because there are too many "turns", and that we should lead the ride on more major roads. Mind you, were expecting a turnout of around 15-20 or more, so I planned it to take the roads next to the major roads (mainly avoiding Hylan boulevard and Amboy Road), as Hyland is essentially Staten Islands congested drag strip, and Amboy is a two way major road, barely wide enough to allow passing, and busses do run on both roads, as well as there being a big pothole epidemic from this pasts winter. Residential roads as they obviously have less traffic, less to no congestion, and safer intersections to cross with a very large group, less to no chance of the group getting split up at stop lights, and drivers will overall be more friendly to us as we are not holding up anyone or creating confusion (Staten Island does have right turn on red). In my mind this would be the best bet.

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=86...&lci=bike&z=15

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Cu...&lci=bike&z=17

Can anyone give me any opinions on my theory and if this ride will be better suited to stick to the side/residential streets, or if I'm completely wrong and making less turns and taking higher speed streets is better for everyone's enjoyment? To me, safety is the basis of any respectable group ride, even if we have to take the side streets and make a few more turns (given Staten Island doesn't have a grid system). Thanks!
Old 03-12-14, 01:48 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'd be better served posting this in the Northeast forum.
Old 03-12-14, 01:57 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I prefer going slower on quiet side streets over going faster on busy main streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9G...6zPoymgKaIoDLA
Old 03-12-14, 04:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeysurvival
Hello all. I'm planning out a relaxed paced group ride/tour for a local cycling group that I'm in, in NYC, specifically Staten Island. If you don't know, Staten Island is the most car-centric and suburban like of all the 5 boroughs. I've never led a group ride before but I have been on a few in the other boroughs. I need a few opinions as a few of the group leaders don't believe my planned route is safe enough because there are too many "turns", and that we should lead the ride on more major roads. Mind you, were expecting a turnout of around 15-20 or more, so I planned it to take the roads next to the major roads (mainly avoiding Hylan boulevard and Amboy Road), as Hyland is essentially Staten Islands congested drag strip, and Amboy is a two way major road, barely wide enough to allow passing, and busses do run on both roads, as well as there being a big pothole epidemic from this pasts winter. Residential roads as they obviously have less traffic, less to no congestion, and safer intersections to cross with a very large group, less to no chance of the group getting split up at stop lights, and drivers will overall be more friendly to us as we are not holding up anyone or creating confusion (Staten Island does have right turn on red). In my mind this would be the best bet.

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=86...&lci=bike&z=15

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Cu...&lci=bike&z=17

Can anyone give me any opinions on my theory and if this ride will be better suited to stick to the side/residential streets, or if I'm completely wrong and making less turns and taking higher speed streets is better for everyone's enjoyment? To me, safety is the basis of any respectable group ride, even if we have to take the side streets and make a few more turns (given Staten Island doesn't have a grid system). Thanks!
I like the lower traffic option.

I assume this is a "no-drop" ride, and you don't want to lose any riders along the way? It's easy for a group to get spread out, and if there's a gap, riders may not see the group make a turn.

I have trouble keeping track of more than 10-12 riders. I'll count that many riders after we turn, but if there's more than a dozen or so, I'll have a volunteer "sweeper" rider, that makes sure nobody gets behind them. Then I just have to see that the sweeper has made the turn. I use a sunglasses mounted mirror to help keep track of the riders.

Splitting 15-20 riders into two speed groups, following the same route, makes leading way easier. You don't have the faster riders having to wait at each turn, and two smaller groups are much better.

If the group is all experienced riders doing a "B" ride pace, then if everyone is keeping up the pace, I don't have to keep track of them as carefully.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-12-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 04:10 PM
smokeysurvival

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Theres going to be at least one or two peoe being "sweep", at the rear of the ride who will also know the route.
For drops, This ride will have points that people can turn.around and go.back.at, by taking a railway. Some streets will.be alongside this railway and its stations.
Thats what I was thinking. If theres a separation, it's a lot easier to regroup when theres no traffic to worry about or consider. As well as having a whole road of space given if theres no traffic at all on the residences.
Old 03-12-14, 05:46 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Captain Bringdown replying here. Are you and/or your "local cycling group" insured for liability, especially since safety is such a concern?

See this reasoned post about liabilities considered in organizing the First Annual Ride of the Fifty-Plus Forum (there have been four subsequent Annual Rides with a few different Sixth Annual Rides proposed for this year). Basically we just glom on to an already organized ride by an established, organized cycling club.

FWIW.
Old 03-12-14, 08:34 PM
smokeysurvival

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I myself, yes. I have no idea if the group itself is insured. I didn't know that was even necessary.
Old 03-13-14, 01:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I myself, yes. I have no idea if the group itself is insured. I didn't know that was even necessary.
Oh definitely!

And depending on the size of the group, you may need to contact the police and/or the local council to determine if permission to hold this event needs to be granted. 15 - 20 might be all right if they are spread out, but if they are all bunched together and potentially blocking traffic that could be an issue. In some areas you might need an event/parade licence. You'd have to look into what's required in your area.
Old 03-13-14, 01:29 AM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just don't call it an organized ride, and you should be fine lol
Still I would check with the city about local bylaws.
You can also check with Home Page | League of American Bicyclists . I know that you can buy insurance for events like that. My cycling club is paying full year coverage for all club members, and its only $3 or $4 a year per member.
Also make sure all the riders are properly equipped with safety equipment. Rear light, helmet, possibly yellow/orange vest...
Its not so easy task to organize successful ride like that, even if it sounds easy. Good luck!
Old 03-13-14, 08:58 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Holy cow. Meet up with a bunch of friends and go for a ride. It's done everywhere, all the time, without all the angst.
Old 03-13-14, 10:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hello all. I'm planning out a relaxed paced group ride/tour for a local cycling group that I'm in, in NYC, specifically Staten Island. If you don't know, Staten Island is the most car-centric and suburban like of all the 5 boroughs. I've never led a group ride before but I have been on a few in the other boroughs. I need a few opinions as a few of the group leaders don't believe my planned route is safe enough

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Captain Bringdown replying here. Are you and/or your "local cycling group" insured for liability, especially since safety is such a concern?

Originally Posted by Looigi
Holy cow. Meet up with a bunch of friends and go for a ride. It's done everywhere, all the time, without all the angst.
Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

Capt. Bringdown
Old 03-13-14, 10:26 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Oh definitely!

And depending on the size of the group, you may need to contact the police and/or the local council to determine if permission to hold this event needs to be granted. 15 - 20 might be all right if they are spread out, but if they are all bunched together and potentially blocking traffic that could be an issue. In some areas you might need an event/parade licence. You'd have to look into what's required in your area.
The vast majority of bike clubs get insurance via the League of American Cyclists or a similar organzation. They should tell all sanctioned leaders what their insurance situation is because in most cases, waivers are required for new riders, etc.

As far as a permit, don't worry. NYC plays hosts to groups that large every weekend. Just follow traffic laws and you'll be fine.
Old 03-13-14, 11:43 AM
smokeysurvival

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We've had previous rides with large groups like this in the past with no issues from the police, even at night. We follow traffic laws and laws on visibility.
Pertaining to the legal amount of people without a permit, it's 25 I believe. I'd rather not have over 25 but if this happens, they're going to play there "were not organized card" basically. Which is another reason why I'd like to stay out of traffic to prevent to potential blockage and scene making.